Yeti GOBOX Collection

.257 Wby Mag?

tzone

Do any of you hunt with them? How do you like it? I found one I like, locally. I can and do reload, though it's not something I like to do. But, I do have the capability to do it.
How does it compare to the 25-06?

It will be used as a whitetail rig almost exclusively.

Just alot more BOOM than the 2506. Faster by a bit. Its a neat gun I have a friend and it is his absolute favorite rifle.

The 257 would fit the bill if your mainly using it for whitetail. More velocity than the 25-06. I’d suggest reloading or ammo gets expensive. I use it as my elk rifle and performed just fine.

Last edited:
Best rifle I have owned. Most accurate, and not to bad on recoil. It’s been my go to gun for 6 or 7 years and it will take another one for me to consider carrying anything else. I shoot one load and shoot slot and know what it is capable of. I use it for everything

The 257 would fit the bill if your mainly using it for whitetail. More velocity than the 25-06. I’d suggest reloading or ammo gets expensive. I use it as my elk rifle and ya performed just fine.

tzone...
Of all my safe residents, the 257 wby is currently my favorite... own the 25-06 as well. The wby is in a lighter platform than the -06 but recoil is not an issue....fun as heck to shoot. Shooting 92g Hammers in both..the wby being a little over 200fps faster. Both rifles 26" tubes. One takeaway is the 25-06 powder consumption is more efficient....both rigs Texas whitetail and hog dedicated.

Interesting golfer, what bullet and grain weight are you using for elk?...twist?

Love mine, my big game stable only holds 2 rifles, a Vanguard S2 in .257 Bee and a Winchester 70 7mm-08 HT, as much as I like the 08, I love my Bee. It's got a lot of boom for a .25 cal, but I just enjoy shooting it. Plus it helps that it holds 3/4 MOA, even with a putz like me pulling the trigger

Ammo can be expensive and hard to find on store shelves, especially if you're looking for variety. After seeing how much a "cheap" $40 box of SPs was at Sportsmans, my girlfriend said I should get a cheaper rifle to practice with!

Last edited:
New to the forum here, but have hunted with my roy for the better part of the last 12 years. It's my go to rifle. It's taken multiple deer, and a couple cow elk (haven't been fortunate enough to draw a bull, but I would take it with me for that also, I love it!) Hand load 110 accubonds. I'd say buy up some of weatherby's 100gr soft points and get ready to reload your own. With that said, if you are looking for an affordable rifle to shoot, this isn't it.

tzone...
Of all my safe residents, the 257 wby is currently my favorite... own the 25-06 as well. The wby is in a lighter platform than the -06 but recoil is not an issue....fun as heck to shoot. Shooting 92g Hammers in both..the wby being a little over 200fps faster. Both rifles 26" tubes. One takeaway is the 25-06 powder consumption is more efficient....both rigs Texas whitetail and hog dedicated.

Interesting golfer, what bullet and grain weight are you using for elk?...twist?

110 nosler accubonds. Going 3425fps. I believe it’s a 1:10”. I’ve taken 7 elk with it and most tip over right there. Had one take a single step but that’s the most.

110 nosler accubonds. Going 3425fps. I believe it’s a 1:10”. I’ve taken 7 elk with it and most tip over right there. Had one take a single step but that’s the most.

i'm shooting a very similar round! if you don't mind me asking what powder are you using? I'm using IMR 7828 SSC

i'm shooting a very similar round! if you don't mind me asking what powder are you using? I'm using IMR 7828 SSC

I’m using H4831sc. Id have to look at the charge later can’t remember it off the top of my head I want to say like 67.0 grains.

tzone...

What vel are you getting with the 92g Hammer Hunters? I can guess but I can say this combo will be good medicine for most things with legs father than most will shoot.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back