25-06 or 280AI

nhenry

I started a new rifle build. It’s on a Tikka t3 receiver. I bought it solely for the action so I could rebarrel it and give it a good stock. Problem is, I’m having trouble deciding which one to go with — 25-06 or 280AI. There are definite pros and cons to both and areas that overlap, but I want to make the right decision for my build, as it will be the rifle I will be carrying for many years to come.
Main pro to 25-06:
• I have my whole reloading setup based around my 25-06 Ruger m77 VT, so I have the supplies for reloading and all the DOPE you could ask for (the VT is too heavy for a backpacking rifle, otherwise this point would be null)
Main pro to 280AI:
• it’s a do-all cartridge
I love the 25-06, but is it sufficient enough if I ever find myself getting an elk tag or go on a sheep hunt, or to Africa or something for plains game?
Also, which one wins in barrel life? I go to the range and take very good care of my rifles and clean them when they need to.
any information is helpful. Thanks!

25-06 and 280AI should be somewhat close to each other for barrel life, if you subscribe to the "overbore index" (case capacity in grains divided by bore diameter in inches) as an indicator both are somewhat close to each other and on the higher end of the scale. Depending on how often you shoot and how hot you load them you might not ever need to worry about it.

If it was my rifle I would go with the 280AI for the ability to shoot heavier projectiles and because I like variety.

Well if your going to reload .280 if your buying bullets 25-06 because they are everywhere that I look.

Well if your going to reload .280 if your buying bullets 25-06 because they are everywhere that I look.
I reload a lot for 25-06 and have varmint, target, and hunting loads already worked up. I do like how the 280 doesn’t need a lot of trimming though

25-06 and 280AI should be somewhat close to each other for barrel life, if you subscribe to the "overbore index" (case capacity in grains divided by bore diameter in inches) as an indicator both are somewhat close to each other and on the higher end of the scale. Depending on how often you shoot and how hot you load them you might not ever need to worry about it.

If it was my rifle I would go with the 280AI for the ability to shoot heavier projectiles and because I like variety.
Thanks for the input on that

If you have neither I would have said split the difference and go .270win, but since you already have a 25-06 in the safe it makes sense to had the extra punch of the 280AI.
That’s kinda why I’m leaning towards 280ai. I want to build a rig that fits me in my favorite cartridge (25-06) though, so that’s why I’m torn

I reload a lot for 25-06 and have varmint, target, and hunting loads already worked up. I do like how the 280 doesn’t need a lot of trimming though
Be forewarned. The Ackleys i've messed with still need trimmed.
Trimming may not take quite as much off after firing 1-2 times as non Ackley, but still need trimmed.

I'm building a 257 Roberts AI on a Savage 111 with 24" E.R. Shaw sporter barrel now. Couldn't pass up the price on the standard Roberts barrel.
Reamer & gauges should be here next week. Along with AI reloading dies.

25-06. The 280 AI is a great round, but in my opinion it’s an enthusiasts round. In other words, your average hunter that’s not an enthusiast and doesn’t spend time on message boards/hunting forums like this one has likely never heard of the AI rounds. Point being that if you were to want to sell the rifle later on, you’d likely have a hard time.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
Back