Yeti GOBOX Collection

243 BC

fmnjr

I'm really liking the 243 Weatherby Vanguard S2 I picked up a couple years ago and want to get as much out of it as possible. It's topped with a VX3i CDS/Windplex, like that a lot, too. Just shooting common ammo works pretty good, just killed a lope with it at 395 yards using Remington Core Lockt 100 grain. But since I know it can shoot accurately much further that we now do with it, I'm looking to find better ammo and have come across the concept of "ballistic coefficient" which from what I gather is an important measure of performance. Is it possible to buy factory ammo for this gun with a BC > .4? What is the max BC one could get for 243 ammo?

With a 10 twist I would look at the 95gr Berger or 95gr Nosler ballistic tips.

I agree with the above most higher BC bullets are longer and require a faster twist but your rifle may be different. Experiment with it. That’s your only way you will know what yours will do.

With your twist rate in mind, a lot of the higher BC offerings might likely be under stabilized. Things like Hornady's Precision Hunter with the 90 grain ELD-X and Sierra's 90 grain GameChanger load are going to be in the low to marginal stability factor. Federal has a couple of promising options in their Vital-Shok 100 grain Game King(.43 G1 BC) and the Berger 95 grain Hybrid Hunter(.434 G1 BC). The Winchester 95 grain Ballistic Silvertip(.4 G1 BC) could also be a good choice. Be wary of the monolithic type bullets(although they're good bullets) like the GMX, TSX and E-Tip as their length is greater than a traditional cup and lead core bullet of similar weight which can lead to gyroscopic instability.

With your twist rate in mind, a lot of the higher BC offerings might likely be under stabilized. Things like Hornady's Precision Hunter with the 90 grain ELD-X and Sierra's 90 grain GameChanger load are going to be in the low to marginal stability factor. Federal has a couple of promising options in their Vital-Shok 100 grain Game King(.43 G1 BC) and the Berger 95 grain Hybrid Hunter(.434 G1 BC). The Winchester 95 grain Ballistic Silvertip(.4 G1 BC) could also be a good choice. Be wary of the monolithic type bullets(although they're good bullets) like the GMX, TSX and E-Tip as their length is greater than a traditional cup and lead core bullet of similar weight which can lead to gyroscopic instability.
Thanks I’ll follow up on your summary

Barnes put out a LRX bullet intended for a 6mm CM, they say it needs a 1:8 twist but yours might like it, I mean a 1:10 twist can stabilize a 200gr 30 caliber 😆

Too bad you don't reload.
I've had good results with 100gr Sierra SPBT GameKing using RL26 out of a 1:10 twist Rossi.
105gr Hornady Match over RL26 also worked well out to 500 yards ( max tested) even though Hornady claimed otherwise.

Barnes put out a LRX bullet intended for a 6mm CM, they say it needs a 1:8 twist but yours might like it, I mean a 1:10 twist can stabilize a 200gr 30 caliber 😆

That's an obvious fact has been overlooked on my part, for sure. I suppose twist rates are like many engineering things, there's the ideal circumstances and then there's what works.

Reloading open up a whole new world of bullet/cartridge options!

I'm shooting 115gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets out of my 250 Savage, 150gr Ballistic Silver Tips & 150gr ABLR out of my 284 Win & 280 Rem.
Shot a doe the other year with 7mm-08 using 140gr Berger VLD Hunting.

And finding 185gr factory ammo on shelves for 45ACP is neigh on impossible.

We use Sierra 100 grain Pro Hunters in my daughter's 243. 3 hits on game and 3 dead animals. (two misses on two different antelope this year).

Shots from 155 yards (deer #2), about 200 yards (deer #1), and 330 yards (antelope).

All have fallen where they stood. The first deer spun in a circle for a second before expiring. Second deer and antelope were DRT.

If you don't have the skill's to use it, all the BC in the world isn't gonna help you! As I understand it, BC isn't gonna be a lot of help till you get somewhere beyond 500yds! Forget BC, do you shoot that well?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back