Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

223 WSSM draws blood

T Bone

I went out yesterday and today before work. Yesterday got skunked but today I hit a jackpot!

I called a new area. The 1st set pulled 3 dogs in. One adult and two young dogs. They circled and scented me before I could get a clear shot through the sage brush.

The second set up was perfect overlooking a little draw. After the 2nd series of rabbit calls I pick up movement about 200 yards out. Two dogs coming in fast! The lead dog stops quartering on at about 100 yards. I squeeze off and hear the splat. The dog folds up and the other is still standing. I bolt another round and hurrily switch targets. I shoot too fast and shoot over. Then he runs, I track him in the scope and when he comes into an opening I touch off. I hear a splat but the dog keeps going and makes it into the brush before getting another round off....

I reload and go check the 1st dog. Big male, I'm guessing 30-35 pounds. Fur in great shape except for the football sized hole in his shoulder and side. The 55 grain factory load hit bone and angled back out. Messy but effective!

I track the other to the area I shot and find 7 inches of front leg laying on the ground! It was cleanly severed by the bullet. I track the 3 legged dog into the brush and find some blood but not much. I'm fearing I might not recover this animal. I continue the trailing and find the dog dead just inside the brush, died in mid-stride. Medium sized male. He ran about 50 yards after getting hit.

I like this little Browning! Its a great carry rifle and is really zippy. I just got RCBS dies yesterday and I can't wait to get a good load worked up. Hopefully a little more fur friendly.

mybad.
cool.gif

T-Bone, let us know if you are able to find a fur friendly load for that rifle.

Sounds like you had a good calling day...

Thanks.

Awesome T-Bone, I'm glad you was able to bring the 2nd shot home. I head shot one last winter and never got to bring him home. Just might of scalped it. I miss judge the distance. I wanted a neck shot ( as he was sitting looking right my way ) I put the x-hairs on his forehead and thats where the bullet went. But a little off to the right. It was a mess. After looking for him, couldn't believe after all the blood that he left a very small trail, then it stopped after an hour I gave up. I went back to where I shot him and there were about 5 slivers af flesh the size of your thumb laying around.
The 1st yote I ever shot stood up in the back of the truck, after I drug him about a 1/4 out from the truck. I can't believe I didn't get ate up.That was the beginning of a passion.
God Bless,

SONG DOG

good story tbone.thats the first story ive heard about any of the wssm's other than in magazines sounds like you made a good choice.

Back