20s vs 17s

Missoulaz28

I'm in need of a new set of tires for my truck and can't decide if I want to stick with the factory 20s. Or pick up a set of 17s.

It's a ram half ton, so with factory wheels I can not run chains. If I go 17s, I may be able to, but no guarantee.

The 17s should ride better on dirt roads.

What's got me thinking of sticking with the 20s is that I found a set of big ko2s for 900 installed.

Buying rims/tires/sensors is going to be double that pretty easily.

Not sure if the better ride of the 17s is worth the extra money.

What percentage of your driving off road? The difference in sidewall is a big deal, especially when time to air down.
98%+ pavement (daily driver) . And what dirt the truck will see is 95% public roads, with the rest being ranch roads.

If I'm getting to where I have to air down, I either messed up bad, or I will be driving the wrangler.

I assumed you’ve checked to make sure you have adequate brake caliper clearance with the 17’s?

I generally prefer smaller rims and bigger tires on a offroad rig, but given your description it sounds like that’s not the case. I’d probably stick with the 20’s and save yourself some money. I don’t think you’ll notice much difference in ride on paved roads.

17s will fit. And I was looking at going from a a +19 to a -12 offset, which should help clear chains.

I'm figuring 500 miles a year or so on dirt, but could double that depending on the year.

I was set on the 17s until I found the deal on the ko2s.

I was in your position last year, did a 2.8" lift in the front and a .5" rear lift and wanted bigger tires, even though factory is almost 33" tires. I went with the factory 20" rims and a 35" x 12.5" tire and used a 1.5" spacer to help the tire clear and give room for chains. The main reason I went with the 20's was the tires were a much better deal and this is just a hunting/fishing rig, so most time its spent around the midwest with a trip or two out west every year.

I went down to 17's a while back. My long road-trip vehicle isn't a real off-roader, just an AWD Durango, but I still don't enjoy suffering multiple flats during a 1 week trip like I've experienced in the past.

Here are the 10-ply options for my vehicle:

20 Inch Wheels
Screenshot_20210820-090949~3.png

18 Inch Wheels
Screenshot_20210820-091521~2.png

17 Inch Wheels
Screenshot_20210820-090525~2.png

Of course these results will vary depending on what tire size you need for your rig, but I do recommend seeing what your options are in the various sizes, especially if you are going to hang on to the vehicle through multiple sets of tires.

I went down to 17's a while back. My long road-trip vehicle isn't a real off-roader, just an AWD Durango, but I still don't enjoy suffering multiple flats during a 1 week trip like I've experienced in the past.

Here are the 10-ply options for my vehicle:

20 Inch Wheels
View attachment 191872

18 Inch Wheels
View attachment 191873

17 Inch Wheels
View attachment 191874

Of course these results will vary depending on what tire size you need for your rig, but I do recommend seeing what your options are in the various sizes, especially if you are going to hang on to the vehicle through multiple sets of tires.

Unfortunately for my tire size it's the opposite situation. Tons of options for the 20s, but in the equivalent 17 inch size there are almost no options.

Probably end up hunting with the jeep again this year. Then figuring out tires later.

Unfortunately for my tire size it's the opposite situation. Tons of options for the 20s, but in the equivalent 17 inch size there are almost no options.

Probably end up hunting with the jeep again this year. Then figuring out tires later.
Good plan...20's for show, 17's for go. My wife's ride's wheel and tire coverage always pays for it's self.

I have some 18"s in the garage that I am switching out for the 20"s currently on my truck. Going from a 305/55R20 (33.12x12.5) with some offset (aftermarket) rims, to a 265/70R18 (32.9x10.7) on stock rim. I am tired of throwing mud everywhere and going back to a tire the stays inside the wheel well.

I have a 2500 so need the load E and will have about 1200 in Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Back