2023 unit 3 deer

Hey all,
I’ve got 4 points and looking at 3rd-4th rifle season in Unit 3 near Craig. I’m not looking for a monster but a solid 4x4 buck. I see there are lots of roads throughout most of the public land. My question is are you able to get off the road and find older bucks in drainages/draws? It seems like about 1-2 miles from the road is as far as you can get in the whole unit. Is 4th season really worth the extra points?

I had a 4th season tag in Unit 3 two years ago. Saw alot of bucks, but finding a solid 4x4 buck was difficult. Alot of elk hunters at the same time so hunting pressure was high. Getting away from roads is difficult. Super fun hunt, but I'm not sure if it's worth the points for 4th season. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

I had a 4th season tag in Unit 3 two years ago. Saw alot of bucks, but finding a solid 4x4 buck was difficult. Alot of elk hunters at the same time so hunting pressure was high. Getting away from roads is difficult. Super fun hunt, but I'm not sure if it's worth the points for 4th season. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Thank you! This is great info. Maybe I’ll just keep looking at other units!

My other 3 units I can have good chances to draw are 74,371,511 but I need to do more homework on all three.

Not trying to ruin your hopes & dreams, but CPW has declared war on the NW deer herds. Number of deer is way lower than it was just a few years ago. And they increased tag numbers at the same time in the name of controlling CWD

Thank you all for all the info! After several pm’s and posts I think I’m going to try a different unit. I’ve narrowed it down to 3 other units. Going to do some homework over the next couple weeks and see if I can find other post on unit 511,4, and 74.

I’ve got a 3rd season tag for unit 3 this year. Actually heading out there from Michigan next weekend. I want to get there early to scout some areas. I will let you know how it goes.

Back