2023 shed thread

For the last 4 years I have gone camping out in Utah for some fishing and shed hunting. I have never found an elk shed, but we still have a great time hiking and catching plenty of fish. With the closures this year, I am thinking about going to Arizona? It would be a closer drive from SoCal, but I have no idea where to go for some decent fishing, hiking, and the potential of stumbling across our first elk shed. Anyone on here ever go out that direction? Anyone want to join my family of 3 for a few days of shed hunting? We plan on going April 11/12 - 18/19. I am leaning towards areas around Payson or Show Low, but nothing is set in stone. Our family is easy going, hard chargers... that are good at having fun, and bad at shed hunting. Let me know if you're interested, or if you're a local that has decent camp locations for a travel trailer.
Thanks!IMG_1980.jpeg

For the last 4 years I have gone camping out in Utah for some fishing and shed hunting. I have never found an elk shed, but we still have a great time hiking and catching plenty of fish. With the closures this year, I am thinking about going to Arizona? It would be a closer drive from SoCal, but I have no idea where to go for some decent fishing, hiking, and the potential of stumbling across our first elk shed. Anyone on here ever go out that direction? Anyone want to join my family of 3 for a few days of shed hunting? We plan on going April 11/12 - 18/19. I am leaning towards areas around Payson or Show Low, but nothing is set in stone. Our family is easy going, hard chargers... that are good at having fun, and bad at shed hunting. Let me know if you're interested, or if you're a local that has decent camp locations for a travel trailer.
Thanks!View attachment 270439
Dude did you just ask for a waypoint for shed hunt? that's a HT first I believe.

Sorry couldn't resist, lol. Have a good time and good luck

I found this heavy five point, mostly buried in the snow in early February, Since then finding sheds has gotten even more difficult. The other side to this one and just about all the other antlers on the ground are still buried by snow and I don't see that change in the near future.View attachment 270272
That’s a big whitetail nice find

Dude did you just ask for a waypoint for shed hunt? that's a HT first I believe.

Sorry couldn't resist, lol. Have a good time and good luck
Gimme a break... If that's how you read that, well sorry.
Anyways, can you just go plant a horn for me and tell me where to go? I hear people are getting money now for "guided" shed hunts? LOL
I'm not asking for anything other than recommended campsites for a travel trailer... and offering to bring along anyone interested(y)

959D5178-A201-4FDD-B2F2-79B517A2669B.jpeg
Took a wild ride through chalk town tonight. I always wonder when I will find my last chalky white tonight wasn’t the night. Not a single one of these antlers were from the last 6 years. Not a single living deer was seen. It’s sad.

The most memorable and enjoyable past few days that I have had… ever. So much joy to watch my wife find a nice elk shed and to watch my little girl put in several miles a day in search of these things. All whites, and all smiles. I’ve still yet to find myself an elk antler, but it’s so much more special when those you love succeed. 6E2CFD48-10D4-4D99-B577-094D08C33E28.jpeg

I’ve been looking for sheds each spring since 2016. Usually 1-2 a year, I’ve found 11 brown elk in that time span. Went to a new spot this past weekend and found 6, found the largest set the next day at a spot I’ve usually had good luck in. Dreams do come true. 🤩

Attachments

• F6690245-E561-4DA6-B36B-C97F56191BCA.jpeg
    F6690245-E561-4DA6-B36B-C97F56191BCA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
I’ve been looking for sheds each spring since 2016. Usually 1-2 a year, I’ve found 11 brown elk in that time span. Went to a new spot this past weekend and found 6, found the largest set the next day at a spot I’ve usually had good luck in. Dreams do come true. 🤩
Show me the way Mr. Miagi!

First year out shed hunting (why didn't I know this was a thing until this year?). I guess hunting elk for the first time last season got me interested. I feel pretty happy with the finds. Unfortunately, no set. There's probably 140 hiked miles in rough terrain over the bunch. Public land.

Found 4 additional ancient chalks that I didn't think were cool to add to the picture.PXL_20230420_224237744.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back