Yeti GOBOX Collection

2022 Hunting and Fishing Fitness Preparedness

WyoDoug

Well it's that time as we all know to think about physical fitness if you plan to hunt like I hope to in 2022 which might involve a moose hunt if I draw along with elk, deer, bear, antelope, small game and birds. But to do that you have to maintain some level of fitness as even in the most populated areas in terms of game, you have to go where they are and more often than not that is where most humans do not want to walk to and vehicles can't access.

As for me, I have recently been diagnosed with nonalchoholic fatty liver disease along with prediabetes both of which are reversable with livestyle changes which I am working on. I do not intend to allow health issues I can control to rule the rest of my life. Along with fitness center routines (weights and other kinetic type excercises I am working the treadmill at home right now 2 miles a day 3-5 times a week at 4.0 MPH (bumping it to 4.2 on next workout) then following that with abs, pushups and situps. Once I reach 4.5 MPH for 2+ miles on the treadmill, I am going to weigh out my pack to 30 pounds to start and begin wearing it as I do the treadmill at home then eventually boost the pack weight to 80 pounds.

My raw fitness strength on the free weights and machines do not seem two be an issue as my workout weights in all the routines seem to be close to where I was in high school and college. In all my jobs, I was always lifting something i.e, 30 pound boxes all day long so that part of fitness was maintained but the rest went to pot because I got lazy. Now it's time to reverse all that.

I am fully aware as is Randy aka Big Fin that my days of hunting are numbered so I need to make the best of the time I have left.

I turn 65 this year.
One of the many advantages of retirement is time...
so it is now easy for me to hike 3-5 hours on Tues/Thurs/Sunday,
gradually increasing the distance over the winter.

For me endurance is more important than strength training.
I hike long at least twice a week all winter long.
On the other days I either cross-country ski or hike shorter steeper routes.
Once the snow melts, I bike the hills and backpack at least twice a week.

I feel that if I backpack or long-hike twice a week I can maintain my fitness level.
When I was working that was not as fun because it would be in the dark with headlamp on a weekday,
then long-hike on the weekend.

I turn 65 this year.
Hiking is something I got planned when the weather warms up a bit. Strength training will happen too but my weaknesses right now is endurance and cardio so that has my focus at the moment. And getting my weight and body fat back down.

Well it's that time as we all know to think about physical fitness if you plan to hunt like I hope to in 2022 which might involve a moose hunt if I draw along with elk, deer, bear, antelope, small game and birds. But to do that you have to maintain some level of fitness as even in the most populated areas in terms of game, you have to go where they are and more often than not that is where most humans do not want to walk to and vehicles can't access.

As for me, I have recently been diagnosed with nonalchoholic fatty liver disease along with prediabetes both of which are reversable with livestyle changes which I am working on. I do not intend to allow health issues I can control to rule the rest of my life. Along with fitness center routines (weights and other kinetic type excercises I am working the treadmill at home right now 2 miles a day 3-5 times a week at 4.0 MPH (bumping it to 4.2 on next workout) then following that with abs, pushups and situps. Once I reach 4.5 MPH for 2+ miles on the treadmill, I am going to weigh out my pack to 30 pounds to start and begin wearing it as I do the treadmill at home then eventually boost the pack weight to 80 pounds.

My raw fitness strength on the free weights and machines do not seem two be an issue as my workout weights in all the routines seem to be close to where I was in high school and college. In all my jobs, I was always lifting something i.e, 30 pound boxes all day long so that part of fitness was maintained but the rest went to pot because I got lazy. Now it's time to reverse all that.

I am fully aware as is Randy aka Big Fin that my days of hunting are numbered so I need to make the best of the time I have left.
I commend you for your goal to be ready for your hunt! I have to do the same thing. The year before last I was also diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I did change my eating habits and diet. One thing that has been very helpful is drinking a cup of dandelion tea three times a day. My doctor actually suggested it. I have to work on my belly as well since that is something that can be really tough on you. Planning a mule deer and elk hunt in Colorado in early November so I am getting on the training now. The best to you on your program!

I turn 65 this year.

For me endurance is more important than strength training.
I hike long at least twice a week all winter long.
On the other days I either cross-country ski or hike shorter steeper routes.
Once the snow melts, I bike the hills and backpack at least twice a week.

I feel that if I backpack or long-hike twice a week I can maintain my fitness level.
When I was working that was not as fun because it would be in the dark with headlamp on a weekday,
then long-hike on the weekend.
Thanks for sharing that! Makes good sense and that certainly is doable.

I learned, AGAIN, that it's easier to stay in shape the get out and back in, especially as one ages!

I am about to turn 58 and was in good shape, spinning workouts, HIIT workouts, hiking, golfing etc. Well then wife and I went back to New England for a 4 week stay for holidays and for me for work (ie the project from hell), ended up staying for 5 weeks due to Covid. In those 5 weeks, at no elevation we basically got zero excercise.

Now back to WY for 1 week, at 5000 feet. DAMN it's hard to breath, basic workout leaves in dieing, easy snowshoe trip yesterday had us both out of breath and sore. It's just easier to keep the excercise up!

Oh yeah, have to add some stretching/flexibility as well.

In my younger days I worked on a ranch ran an outfitting business for hunting on the side and split some of the ranch hands off on the sides. I wasn't actually a guide but I frequently went along as a wrangler if the group was big enough. I was in really great physical condition then and coming out of the Marine Corps infantry, I could march for miles up or downhill. I was astonished at the number of hunters we worked with that were miserably out of shape. Now I am one of them hunters LOL. Last time I tried to ride a horse, I had a hard time lifting my legs high enough to get on one. Now time to change that.

I learned, AGAIN, that it's easier to stay in shape the get out and back in, especially as one ages!

I am about to turn 58 and was in good shape, spinning workouts, HIIT workouts, hiking, golfing etc. Well then wife and I went back to New England for a 4 week stay for holidays and for me for work (ie the project from hell), ended up staying for 5 weeks due to Covid. In those 5 weeks, at no elevation we basically got zero excercise.

Now back to WY for 1 week, at 5000 feet. DAMN it's hard to breath, basic workout leaves in dieing, easy snowshoe trip yesterday had us both out of breath and sore. It's just easier to keep the excercise up!

Oh yeah, have to add some stretching/flexibility as well.

Agreed! It is easier to stay in shape. I just wish that the mindset would be easier.

I have been dealing with some mold issues over the last couple of years and am just getting back to the point where I can start training again.

The highest point in my state (3200 feet) is about 30 minutes away so I am planning on going there for a couple of hikes a week to help out in addition to other strength and endurance training.

Good luck with your program!

'Summer bodies are made in winter' could be rewritten as 'Hunting fitness is built in application season'. I just signed up for a 54 mile bike tour at 8,000', so lets do this

I am in the 60's club also. Just wondering how some of you work on getting ready for your hunts other than hiking? Of course, I am doing hiking but looking for other training suggestions.

At 32 in Montana, my training might look a little different from everybody else's. In the summer, it's hiking and backpacking in the mountains to get to better fishing spots. Not to mention rock hopping and wading creeks and rivers, and I think fighting the current helps like strength and stability. Try to get out weekly for one of those, and hike a local hill as well mid-week.

In winter, there are chances to snowshoe and ski, but my work schedule makes it hard to find someone to split gas with- so it's a lot less frequent than I like. Most of the time I'll go ice fishing, which means dragging a sled by hand and using a hand auger.

Spring means rugby. Running, HIIT, and just general overall exertion.

But mostly? Has to be the gym, no two ways about it. Rowing machine is pretty great for cardio, and it definitely saves your knees, plus it can help your leg & hip mobility. Added benefit is the shoulder workout, and you can get a really good core workout too if you modify the sequence and lean back farther.

Back