2022-2023 Waterfowl Pics Thread

All you people with bands this year suck. My season is all over with, over 150 fowl dropped, second year without a band. I just suck
Relax man, it's almost entirely luck. If you live close to some refuges where they band a lot of birds, that might help. What birds you mostly shoot might also play a role. For instance I've heard they band very few coots 😁😁.

Relax man, it's almost entirely luck. If you live close to some refuges where they band a lot of birds, that might help. What birds you mostly shoot might also play a role. For instance I've heard they band very few coots 😁😁.
Yeah I know. My cousin and his group got 29 bands this year, all on geese and all but 1 were banded in fond du lac this year.

Couple local kids actually band hunt, they'll land them and then scan for bands with binos birds without bands get a pass.
Yeah that's what my cousin does with his group because they know how many birds get banded near the fdl marsh by where they hunt. They will use bino as the birds come in and target them

Couple local kids actually band hunt, they'll land them and then scan for bands with binos birds without bands get a pass.
OK, I'll qualify my statement, "For most of us, it's just a matter of luck". I'm not impressed when someone has so many bands on their lanyard they would drown immediately if they fell overboard.

My first hunt of 2023 was good, although I was hoping for a few more mallards. Went to my "pintail spot" Thursday, and got a nice drake after a few screwups.
20230105_103348.jpg

First duck of the day was a nice Mexican duck drake, shot almost directly behind my boat.

20230105_073301.jpg

Tried waiting for mallards, got a hen and missed a long shot at a drake, eventually filled out the limit on teal.

20230105_165551.jpg

2022 was a very hard year for me and my family as we suffered a terrible tragedy in the Fall. I did not hunt much, ate several big game tags, and got a late start on duck season. Will try to make up for lost time the last 3+ weeks of the season. Hope 2023 is a good year for everyone.

My first hunt of 2023 was good, although I was hoping for a few more mallards. Went to my "pintail spot" Thursday, and got a nice drake after a few screwups.
View attachment 259834

First duck of the day was a nice Mexican duck drake, shot almost directly behind my boat.

View attachment 259835

Tried waiting for mallards, got a hen and missed a long shot at a drake, eventually filled out the limit on teal.

View attachment 259836

2022 was a very hard year for me and my family as we suffered a terrible tragedy in the Fall. I did not hunt much, ate several big game tags, and got a late start on duck season. Will try to make up for lost time the last 3+ weeks of the season. Hope 2023 is a good year for everyone.
That sir is a absolutely gorgeous pintail that Mexican is quite the trophy as well! Not a bad way to kick off the year.

Anyone know what this swan is? It showed up in our family farm pond in northern Oklahoma. It's the first one we've ever seen. Would love some waterfo ID folks to chime in

Attachments

• 1000002898.jpg
    1000002898.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
And as I feared, I got the old skunk on the final morning of my Southern IL duck tour. Cool public land spot in the southernmost county in IL, hunting blinds over flooded crops, just no birds to speak of. 3 birds in 3 days of hunting IL public land controlled waterfowl hunts. Kind of makes you wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze, but I reckon a band is.

Sounds like you got too close to Kentucky. Ain't no birds down here
And as I feared, I got the old skunk on the final morning of my Southern IL duck tour. Cool public land spot in the southernmost county in IL, hunting blinds over flooded crops, just no birds to speak of. 3 birds in 3 days of hunting IL public land controlled waterfowl hunts. Kind of makes you wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze, but I reckon a band is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back