2021 Preplanning questions

pj2578

We had a successful hunt this year in Wyoming for Pronghorn and I'm looking to head back that way next year for Mule deer. I've spent a lot of time online looking over terrain and wanted to see if anyone had any advice they were willing to share either publicly or privately. I'm looking at region B right now and it seems to me the best looking deer habitat I can find is the public areas of Horseshoe hills and Seventy Seven hills. There is a lot of land in a general region so I was hoping to narrow it down just a little.

My original thought was to start out with pronghorn again just north of Douglas like last year and then relocate to Lusk or surrounding areas to go after Mule deer. Thanks in advance.

We had a successful hunt this year in Wyoming for Pronghorn and I'm looking to head back that way next year for Mule deer. I've spent a lot of time online looking over terrain and wanted to see if anyone had any advice they were willing to share either publicly or privately. I'm looking at region B right now and it seems to me the best looking deer habitat I can find is the public areas of Horseshoe hills and Seventy Seven hills. There is a lot of land in a general region so I was hoping to narrow it down just a little.

My original thought was to start out with pronghorn again just north of Douglas like last year and then relocate to Lusk or surrounding areas to go after Mule deer. Thanks in advance.
Hey PJ,
Sounds a lot like my plans for the year. Did Wyoming antelope last year and looking to do a deer hunt in B.

Curious if anyone else has some thoughts on the deer population in this unit?

Havnt been out there on deer yet but looking at B general myself. We ralked to the biologist out of the Casper office I believe. Super helpful with contact info and what to expect.

Havnt been out there on deer yet but looking at B general myself. We ralked to the biologist out of the Casper office I believe. Super helpful with contact info and what to expect.
What did the biologist say when you spoke to him?

in the past Iv reached out to the biologists when iv really settled on a couple of locations and I’m trying to break the tie. Still pretty early in the process, but B seems to have some good land to get into.

There’s not a ton of public land around Lusk to hunt. Yes, there are some chunks of state ground to look for deer but it gets hunted pretty hard from what I understand. I was there hunting antelope last year and saw very few deer, either on the public or private enrolled in the WIA program. And I don’t remember seeing a single buck on accessible state or WIA ground. If I were deer hunting in WY, I wouldn’t hunt around Lusk unless I had some private land connections.

There’s not a ton of public land around Lusk to hunt. Yes, there are some chunks of state ground to look for deer but it gets hunted pretty hard from what I understand. I was there hunting antelope last year and saw very few deer, either on the public or private enrolled in the WIA program. And I don’t remember seeing a single buck on accessible state or WIA ground. If I were deer hunting in WY, I wouldn’t hunt around Lusk unless I had some private land connections.
Thanks for the info, I will keep my eyes on other areas.

LRH, sorry got delay in replying. Family all fighting the COVID. He said there were a few ranchers usually in units 7 that would contact them looking for hunters. There is a lot of walk-in in the area. He recommended doing a few days of scouting and being willing to walk in and set watching water.

I’ve not been out there yet but it is on short list of units. Buddy and I are just looking at getting into different country. We are hoping to get out there this summer and get eyes on a few different areas.

LRH, sorry got delay in replying. Family all fighting the COVID. He said there were a few ranchers usually in units 7 that would contact them looking for hunters. There is a lot of walk-in in the area. He recommended doing a few days of scouting and being willing to walk in and set watching water.

I’ve not been out there yet but it is on short list of units. Buddy and I are just looking at getting into different country. We are hoping to get out there this summer and get eyes on a few different areas.
Thanks for the info. Keep up the good fight, my whole family had it in December and all are ok and healthy now. I am sure y’all will all make a full recovery.

Thanks, we get on the mend I’ll dig up my notes from when I talked to biologist.

Hey. Looking to do a Wyoming/Western hunt for my first time this year as well. Wanting to do mule deer. My question is are you doing a general region tag? (your a non-resident correct) or are do you have points? Also, why do a handful of people on here seem to be so interested in region B? Just not one of the regions I was looking into.

Thanks, have a good one.

Yes, I'm a non-resident and the only reason I was looking at region B is because it's close by to where we will be hunting Pronghorn and the season dates for Mule deer coincide with the pronghorn season.

Other than that there is absolutely no reason to look at region B. If I was concentrating solely on Mule deer I would push as far west into Wyoming as my preference points would allow me to draw.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back