2021 Morels!!

Went out to a burn today with my son and got skunked.
I was turkey hunting and checked 2 dead elms and an apple tree and found about 1.5 lbs. when I got gone my wife asked if I was going to go find more. So I checked an old homesite with a lot of apple trees and found another 1.5 lbs. 3 lbs on the day! I’ve read stories about people finding the mother load in burn areas. The DNR does controlled burns sometimes in the fall and I always check them but have never had luck.

1620614652704.jpegToday’s morel dinner was a bacon-morel chowdah.

4 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion
3 stalks of celery
4 tablespoons butter
3-4 Yukon gold potatoes, cubed ( mine were really small
Morel mushrooms
1 quart of chicken stock, I used wild turkey stock
1-2 cups heavy cream

In a heavy Dutch oven. crisp the bacon and remove. Add 1/2 the butter and sauté morel mushrooms on both sides until slightly brown. Remove to a paper towel. Add the remaining 1/2 of the butter and the onion. Sauté and add celery. Add the stock and the potatoes. Bring to a boil and boil until potatoes are soft. Add in morel mushrooms and cream and heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring gently but frequently. Garnish with parsley or just eat it to fast to take a picture for hunttalk.

We’ll put you down for two seasonings then....where there’s poo there’s pee👍🏻
It’s impossible to do the #2 p without the #1 p but not the #1 p without the #2 p. They were actually in big thorny patches near apple trees so I don’t think to many cows got to them, but is in a pasture.

Great looking meal! Across the river in Grant co I have found 0 so far. I am blaming it on the dry spell and cold weather.

Thank you. We got a few rains last week that didn’t go that far south, but you got rain the past couple days we did not get. I have found about 4 lbs so far and all but about 12 of those mushrooms have been on north facing slopes under apple trees that are alive but have a few dead limbs on them. We are supposed to get frost again tonight!
Great looking meal! Across the river in Grant co I have found 0 so far. I am blaming it on the dry spell and cold weather.

1620786036546.jpegWe didn’t cook any morels tonight but I put a load in the dehydrator for next winter! They go good in soups and sautéed but I don’t like the way they fry after they’ve been dehydrated. They are also nice on a steak or stuffed into a venison loin when it’s -20 in January.

Back