Caribou Gear Tarp

2021-2022 proposals

I read a sheep reallotment issue in a area i hunt and it rubbed me wrong way, good news cause of there fee increases and " convenience fee" i am not applying for sheep ever again in idaho... more productive to just buy raffles

I think there are more positive changes than negative. It does look like they still want to kill off all the elk in the Pio zone and all of the deer in 43. With all the surounding units having youth antlerless cut and adding 500 more either sex tags does are going to have a tough go of it in 43 the next couple years.

I’m liking most of the deer proposals in Southeast Idaho. The lion proposals I’m not sure about as I’m an avid houndsman and I spend all winter chasing the big cats. I love them. Although there are a ton of them in the southeast region I would at least like to see a female quota of a half dozen for each unit and when female quota fills toms are still legal to take. In my elk area I’m pissed, well one of my two elk areas. I wish they would better manage the bulls. Too many tags, they are taking every big bull left. I agree with the antelope proposals as I’ll hunt the unlimited archery even if I lose the chance of drawing an any weapon tag. Might as well go to Wyoming for that anyhow. I agree with the moose proposals. Hopefully this will be my lucky year with the moose draw.

I’m liking most of the deer proposals in Southeast Idaho. The lion proposals I’m not sure about as I’m an avid houndsman and I spend all winter chasing the big cats. I love them. Although there are a ton of them in the southeast region I would at least like to see a female quota of a half dozen for each unit and when female quota fills toms are still legal to take. In my elk area I’m pissed, well one of my two elk areas. I wish they would better manage the bulls. Too many tags, they are taking every big bull left. I agree with the antelope proposals as I’ll hunt the unlimited archery even if I lose the chance of drawing an any weapon tag. Might as well go to Wyoming for that anyhow. I agree with the moose proposals. Hopefully this will be my lucky year with the moose draw.
I agree with you, I was in support of most of the proposals. I'm not sure it's a good idea to lift the quotas on cats, I know most of the houndsmen down here in Franklin County are pissed. The biggest complaint that I had was for unit 60 antlerless deer, I think that's what it was. They are doing away with all the antlerless hunts, including youth, which I agree with, because numbers are way down from what I've seen. But in unit 60 they were going to give an additional 200 controlled hunt antlerless tags. My thoughts were, if you're still giving out antlerless tags, give them to the youth.

Yeah that hunt in 60 and 60a makes no sense whatsoever. I put in comments for everything and I made it clear how against that hunt I am.

I read some houndsmen comments against the removal of quotas. It was a bit of a head scratcher; on one side they said we don’t like to kill cats and kill very few, but in the next sentence they said if conditions were right we could wipe the cats out. Which is it? If you don’t kill them to begin with why would you choose to without a quota? I always suspected a few houndsmen would go out early in the season and harvest cats to meet the quota and get the take season closed so they could just go pursue with less competition from others.

I hunt no quota areas and and areas with quotas. There are people who run dogs but they only want to kill. There are groups of guys in a no quota unit that kill every single cat they put up a tree and it’s really hurting the lion population. Even the units with full quotas are getting a ton of pressure this year from people just wanting to tree them. I love to just tree cats. I’m not much into killing them. If I tree a big Tom in an area where there’s no quota or an unfilled quota I would take him. But with no quotas it’s going to hurt the units with a decent population of cats.

I'm supportive of closing down Palisades cow tags. Unit 65 populations have been struggling and the cows get hammered during the late season rifle. Would be nice to see my back yard heard thrive, we hunt very similar habitat a few hours SE that has a combination or road less hunting, much less grazing, and controlled hunts and the difference is pretty amazing.

I like the changes to the unlimited antelope archery tags being 1st choice only. In theory, this would drastically reduce the amount of blinds out in the field. Hopefully it will improve the draw odds of some of the rifle controlled hunts as well. Eliminating antlerless harvest for mule deer was also a good move.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back