2020 Spring MT Bear

bnickelson

My wife & I are planning are first trip to the mountains, our first hunting trip in Montana & our first bear hunt, all combined into the same trip around May/June 2020.

I have a few basic questions (at this time, I'm sure there will be many more)

I have no reason for picking the hunting area other than throwing a dart at a map & finding a campground that has power, restroom & shower (we'll be using my friend's pop-up camper)

I'm looking at the area south of Bozeman (again, proximity to campgrounds) from the Madison River east to Hwy 89.
We are going into this first hunt with the idea that we will be hiking & sight seeing (and learning how to hike in the mountains) while carrying (1) bear tag. Basically, we will enjoy everything & seeing a bear will be a nice bonus.
Our hunting background is whitetails in North Dakota Spot & stalk from trucks & northern MN treestand hunting (used to sitting for 5 hours in 10 degree windy weather).
1. Am I completely off my rocker for thinking this is an area for a rookie bear hunter?
2. I'm familiar with MVUM maps (ATV'ing in the Black Hills of SD), It looks like 95% or more of the "roads" in this area do not open until June 15th, is this correct?
3. Should a be looking for a campground & hunting land in a different area? Missoula? Libby (read that a lot on forums)? Little Belts? Etc.
4. We are thinking late May, but aren't locked it to s specific time frame yet. 8 day hunt, 2 of the days will be driving, so 6 days of actual hunting.

I'm not looking for gps coordinates or tying to "internet scout", but having never hunted a western state, I just don't want to go to an area that 99% of the bear hunting population knows there aren't bears there.

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a campground (that my wife would like more) I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

If you want to optimize you chances at shooting a black bear, you should focus on the NW part of the state. Another consideration for the timeframe that you are looking at is whether or not you can get deep into the Madisons or Gallatins due to snow. May could be iffy. I'd push it to June in that area.

*Edit. Looking back, I was able to hunt the Madisons in early May last year, but we also got a big snow around that timeframe. Plan accordingly.

Last edited:
1. Kinda close to town... might as well get further out if your coming all that way.
2. Yep, lots of snow for a while
3. Not sure I would limit myself to a camp ground... but that's a personal decision
4. The later the better if you want it to be a "easier" experience.
5. I hear Chicago is great in may

Bears are gonna be hanging out up high next to avalanche paths in the areas that are "greening up" red arrows. The trail until you get to timberline will likely be a snowy mess until late may/June... depends on the year "green circle".
The photo is what it will likely look like in the mts in June.

1574454154085.png

Approx mid May
1574454432010.png

May 14, 2016
1574454546647.png

June 5, 2016
1574454616506.png

Weather is super variable.

May 8,2016 ... high that day was in the mid 70s
1574454710701.png
May 9,2016 ... you get the point
1574454779173.png

Thank for the advice so far. If my wife decides not to go, the whole "campground" idea will change to me tenting a lot closer to a hunting area. But, if she goes, June sounds a lot better than May to her (likes warmer weather way more than cold).

As far as the region I was looking at, I meant "from the Madison River east to Hwy 89" all the way south to the Idaho/Wyoming borders. But, I have all winter to look at Google Earth & maps for the NW part of the state, I'm not ruling anything out yet.

Another question, not so much as to the brand but what size pack should I be looking for, for day hunts? It will more than likely carry a rifle & two sets of Insulated clothing & rain gear, along with knives, bags, food for two, etc. (I'm trying to keep my wife's bag as light as possible). I'm just not sure if I will need a 1880ci, 5000ci, 6500ci & we do not have a lot of places in eastern ND to see many in person.

Thanks again!

Brad

Thank for the advice so far. If my wife decides not to go, the whole "campground" idea will change to me tenting a lot closer to a hunting area. But, if she goes, June sounds a lot better than May to her (likes warmer weather way more than cold).

As far as the region I was looking at, I meant "from the Madison River east to Hwy 89" all the way south to the Idaho/Wyoming borders. But, I have all winter to look at Google Earth & maps for the NW part of the state, I'm not ruling anything out yet.

Another question, not so much as to the brand but what size pack should I be looking for, for day hunts? It will more than likely carry a rifle & two sets of Insulated clothing & rain gear, along with knives, bags, food for two, etc. (I'm trying to keep my wife's bag as light as possible). I'm just not sure if I will need a 1880ci, 5000ci, 6500ci & we do not have a lot of places in eastern ND to see many in person.

Thanks again!

Brad

If you aren't backpack camping, then 3000ci will be fine. If your pack has a meat shelf then even less.

I did this work up for Massachusetts on average bear weight + packout weight for a boned out bear + hide. It should hold or be a bit on the heavy side for a MT spring bear.

1574712449697.png

Hi All,
Anybody going to be bear hunting around Bozeman next couple months? I moved to BZM recently and looking for folks to do day hunts on the weekend and explore the area. I understand the old timey locals would not line up to show me their spots so maybe another newcomer would like to join in the exploration.
Let me know
Best
Matt

Well, four hours before Montana closed bear & turkey to non-residents, my wife & I went received an email from ND Game & Fish stating we went 3 out or 4 for once in a lifetime North Dakota tags!!! My wife drew a cow moose & cow elk & I drew a cow elk. I guess not being able to hunt Montana bear worked out for the best because now I have several scouting trips planned for the badlands.

Hopefully 2020 will be the year for Montana bear....

Hi All,
Anybody going to be bear hunting around Bozeman next couple months? I moved to BZM recently and looking for folks to do day hunts on the weekend and explore the area. I understand the old timey locals would not line up to show me their spots so maybe another newcomer would like to join in the exploration.
Let me know
Best
Matt

I'm in the Bozeman area and would definitely go out with you sometime if you'd like. Not too experienced hunting bears in the area, but I've been out a little over the last couple years.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back