Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2020 DIY Archery Antelope Advice

HunterRoush

Hello, I am looking to plan my first Western DIY hunt for 2020. I've decided that the best way to get my feet wet would be an antelope hunt, although with a bow it may be tricky my real motive and expectation is to just get out and learn! a couple things to note are that I will most likely be solo and I don't have any points anywhere so I'm assuming OTC is my best bet, I've concluded Western South Dakota will give me the best shot this year. My game plan so far is to hit the rut and spot and stalk/use a decoy. I will bring a pop up blind just in case I find some water to set over in the morning but I find that pretty unlikely. I'm wondering if in the mornings I should drive around in my truck and spot from the road or if I should hike in and find a glassing point and watch? Also I plan on keeping an eye on any saddles or fence crossings that goats may be using and to take advantage of those accordingly. If anyone has any advice on maybe a better first hunt or any advice that will help a 21 year old ambitious bow hunter I would really appreciate it!! Thanks HT

I hunted western SD in the rifle season this last year. We hiked in less than a half-mile at each of our stops and saw pronghorn every time but one. I think that would be your best bet. I’ll hopefully be out there this year for my first archery hunt as well, I plan on just walking in and glassing - you should have no problem finding antelope in a lot of the SD units.

I live and hunt Nebraska in the pan handle up by the Wyoming border. I can tell you if your hunting public land you may want to leave the decoy at home lol. Spot and stock is tough, but can be done. I had to take this one at 90 yds. so you better practice those long shots to.

Attachments

• original_file_home.jpg
    original_file_home.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Back