MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2020 Colorado Rodent Grand Slam

marmot is a very worthwhile endeavor. tasty and it can be little like goat hunting, except you don't need a tag.

love this post.

i have yet to find good public land squirrel hunting
The below document is a good starting point.... Abert's can be a pain to locate, but once you do, there are always more in the immediate area. I have three spots that consistently produce. Look for mature Ponderosa stands with a thin understory.

The below document is a good starting point.... Abert's can be a pain to locate, but once you do, there are always more in the immediate area. I have three spots that consistently produce. Look for mature Ponderosa stands with a thin understory.

They are also quite abundant above the Ponderosa, where Doug Fir and Engelmann Spruce are common. But there, they are kleptoparasites of red squirrels and you will find the Aberts in the vicinity of high densities of red squirrel middens.

I think some expansion of Rodent Slam is called for, Maybe a double slam - care to toss a prairie dog or two in there?

Love this! uhmm why don't you keep this going into Jan/Feb 2021 so all of us bored folks staring at our computers have something to entertain us???

They are also quite abundant above the Ponderosa, where Doug Fir and Engelmann Spruce are common. But there, they are kleptoparasites of red squirrels and you will find the Aberts in the vicinity of high densities of red squirrel middens.

I think some expansion of Rodent Slam is called for, Maybe a double slam - care to toss a prairie dog or two in there?

I have never seen them above the Ponderosa in Colorado, but I have read that behavior. Very interesting!

I am wayyy too scared of plague to go after prairie dogs. Ground squirrels however...

Love this! uhmm why don't you keep this going into Jan/Feb 2021 so all of us bored folks staring at our computers have something to entertain us???

With any luck I should have some Abert's photos this weekend! Unfortunately with this cold snap we have had all over Colorado, most of the rivers have frozen over...delaying further beaver exploits for a bit.

Looking to do a rodent grand slam myself. Not looking for trophies or your honey hole, just a general idea of exactly where to go to shoot rodents?!? Thanks

- First time Poster

I dunno. I thought Marmot had to cape out at 79 3/4 inches to be considered for the slam. And that Albert's, is his ear spread more than 2 1/8 inches?

Good effort in any event....

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back