2019 hunt journal, UT, WY, and MT

bowhuntmontana

Alright, all of the other hunt threads and journals have inspired me to do the same. I have a couple of good hunts lined up for this fall and will do my best to keep you all in the loop on the developments. Most of my hunts are about filling the freezer, but they all provide memories and adventure.

My big game season kicks off next week with the muzzleloader deer season here in Utah. This will be my first time hunting with my muzzleloader. In addition to my deer tag, I'll have a couple of cow elk tags that I can fill if I get into some elk. I am hoping I do so I can put some elk meat in the freezer. I'll be packing in about five miles to where several drainages come together. It is pretty classic high country with open ridges, aspen pockets, some fir stands, timbered north facing slopes, and it's steep. Been hunting in there a few years now, mostly later in the season with a rifle. I spent three days backpacked in there last year the second week of October and got two feet of snow and had to bail. That was rough. It prompted me to try to the muzzleloader season. I am pretty excited to get in there with the elk potentially doing their thing, the aspens in brilliant gold and orange, and just enjoying being away. I have two full weeks off, which will take me through the full muzzleloader season and then into the general rifle elk hunt. I am hoping for decent weather (at least not a blizzard).

The next hunt will be Wyoming antelope. Going back to a unit with a couple of good friends. We have hunted this unit for a few years. Just packing doe tags, but we love it. Heading in there later in the season because of my Utah hunts. I have hunted it late once before and the antelope were grouped up in larger herds and definitely spooky. It is a unit with spotty access to public and it is pretty difficult to navigate the public that is there. But, I like to eat antelope and I like to hunt antelope. I think we will fill our tags.

Some time in late October or somewhere in November I am headed back home to Montana to hunt some whitetail does with my brother. I like eating whitetails and I like hunting them. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind eating the mountain muleys I have been shooting here in Utah the past few years. But ag-fed whitetails are just yummy. Taking a buddy of mine from Utah up there to experience a little different hunt. Really hoping to pack the freezer. I had to buy a side of beef last year, as the muley buck and two antelope does didn't take us all that far. First time I've had to do that.

Somewhere in between there I have a few fall turkey tags here in Utah to fill. Hoping I can get each of my three kids out on those ones, sitting a blind in a little bit of public that can hold some birds. I had my oldest daughter in the blind with me last year on an evening archery sit for muleys and we had a flock of 17 or so birds come by within 10 yards. She was pretty excited and has been wanting to get back there ever since.

Also tossing around the idea of doing a little waterfowling. I have only done it a little and never really took to it. But I bought a kayak this year and the idea of taking that out on some of the places we have close by to hunt ducks and geese sounds like a cool adventure. We will see.

I'll throw up a few details and pics from my summer prep and scouting.

Since I lived in Montana up until 5 years ago, I didn't really have a good reason to get a muzzleloader. I did a lot of bowhunting and rifle hunting. However, Utah is a little different (or a lot different depending on how you look at it). For the most part, you have to pick your weapon. I did the dedicated hunter program for a few years and picked up a CVA Optima V2, but only hunted with it one day. I had put a little time into a load and it was okay. However, after last year's season I decided I wanted to do the muzzleloader hunt. I started digging into the info on load development. I think I like this part of prepping for the season almost as much as I do being out there. I ordered up several different bullets and a few different sabots. I was committed to Blackhorn 209, and just wanted to try different bullet, sabot, and volume combos.

With everything in hand I went out to a piece of public and found a side draw where I could easily get out to 100 yards and I got things set up. I ran four different bullet combos with the same powder loads. Then again with some sabot switches. I was pretty pleased with the groups I was getting with the first few combos. Then I shot the Harvester Scorpion PT Gold (300 gr) with the black crush rib Harvester Sabot. My first shot was on the money. I ran a spit patch through, then a dry patch. Let it cool and fired another. Those two holes were touching. Did the same routine and fired a third. At first I thought I had whiffed. I walked up to the target and was amazed to see all three shots in one ragged hole! I rarely get that out of my centerfire. So, needless to say, I stopped trying other loads, counted my blessings and called it good. I used a chrono while working up the load and was able to work out a BDC chart. With that load and bullet combo and the velocity, I am good out to 200. But, I am planning on getting closer.

Attachments

• 20190621_173555.jpg
    20190621_173555.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190621_173545.jpg
    20190621_173545.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20190621_174111.jpg
    20190621_174111.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
I've put in a few scouting trips for the UT hunt over the summer. I started heading back into that country later in July. A few of my good friends have also been in there scouting and archery hunting. The area holds some nice deer, and has the potential for a few really nice deer. It gets some pressure, but not crazy. It helps that it is not easy to get into.

We have seen a couple of good bucks scouting, including this buck with matching cheaters. I have seen a few from farther away that looked better than him. Who knows if they will be around next week. We will see. Also have seen some elk and one really nice bull moose. Came across a rattlesnake in an aspen stand at over 8,500 feet. Not the place I was expecting to run into one of those, and he didn't even have the decency to buzz at me. Almost stepped on him before he moved.

Also took several trips into areas that looked promising on the map. A few weren't so good, and a few were okay. Gives me some more backup areas.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190830_190125.jpg
    20190830_190125.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 20190727_081139.jpg
    20190727_081139.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Quick update on the pending UT muzzleloader hunt. The hunt opens Wednesday the 25th. I am planning on taking one last weekend scouting trip into the area with a few of my buddies this weekend. Packing in after work tomorrow (Friday), possibly getting in an evening glassing session, then a morning glassing session on Saturday. Also taking in most of my camp and gear. I’ll hike back out Saturday afternoon sometime to get home for some family time and church on Sunday.

Monday I am working, then heading back in sometime in the afternoon. The definite plan is to get in there early enough for a solid evening of glassing. Tuesday will be all glassing. I am hoping between this weekend and that extra day and a half before the season opens I can get a good idea of what bucks are in the area and what I might want to hold out for. I have never killed a really big mule deer. My best is in the high 160s. This area definitely holds some big bucks, but they didn’t get big by being stupid. So, we will see how the scout goes. Hopefully I will have some pics to share.

I am already getting butterflies thinking about the hunt. It is the first thing on my mind when I wake up and the last thing on my mind when I am trying to fall asleep at night. Like many of you, this is what a lot of my thinking, energy, and disposable income go to all year long. It only comes once a year and I love it.

I have been wrestling with just where I want to camp and where I want to be opening morning. There are two ways into this area, each with its own flavor of type 2 fun. One puts you at the rim of an amazing basin with a high peak. However, that is the more accessible of the two ways in and the one that tends to attract the most people. I am not a big fan of other people while I am hunting. This spot also doesn’t have water, so I would be packing some in. I have thought that the mid-week opener will limit the pressure, but I just know there will be more people at that spot regardless. The other route puts you at the top of a large canyon and mile or two from where that other trail takes you. This area is still good quality and doesn’t get as much attention. It is also closer to water and is where my buddies have been camping when they have hunted in there during the archery hunt. My limited scouting tells me there are better deer at the first spot, but maybe not by much. Right now my plan is to camp at the second option. That is also where I am going to camp for this weekend's scouting trip. We will see what we find scouting. Either way, if the better deer end up being at that first spot, it isn't all that hard to get from there from the second camping option. I can always wake up earlier than most will and get to the spot I want to be before them. Decisions, decisions.

Been pulling together all of my gear and food for the next two weeks of hunting. I am packing in a week’s worth for the first half of the hunt. There is definite potential to be taking trips out with meat and then going back in since I have my deer tag and two cow tags to try to fill. Nice to have a spare room downstairs where I can spread everything out and try to get it organized.

20190918_204415.jpg

One other note. I really prefer using a hammock when I backpack. Better for my back and better sleep. I have a pretty solid setup for a hammock, top and bottom quilts, and a tarp. I took it on last year’s hunt in there the second week of October. I slept great, but was wishing for the convenience of a tent for pretty much all other camp activities. I am packing in the pad and will be sleeping in a tent this weekend. If I can actually sleep well, I will stick with that. Otherwise, I might also be packing in the hammock setup when I go back in. We will see how it goes.

This is a pic of the hammock setup from last year's trip two day's before the storm came in. There is a full hammock set-up under that tarp (Warbonnet Superfly).
20181008_083729.jpg

You may want to pack in extra water during your scouting trips.Opener should be
full of hunters,be patient and let them push the animals to you.Good luck! 🔥

Update. So, it looks like I won’t be able to go in this evening for an overnight scout. I have an all day offsite meeting for work that will run later than I was expecting. After getting off work, to the trailhead, changed, and on the trail, it would be closer to 6:30 or 7:00, and I wouldn’t make it to camp until closer to 9:00. So, I am opting to sleep at my home tonight, get up really early, and go in from another trailhead. If I time it right, I’ll be in glassing position right at first light and work down a main ridge, glassing bowls and canyons off both sides. I should be able to stash most of my camp late in the morning, laze around a bit (hopefully with my buddies), get an evening glass in, and then hike back out. It will be 13+ miles round trip for the day, but that shouldn’t be too bad. A good test before going back in on Monday.

Weather is cold and rainy today, with some snow up high. Should clear out for a beautiful day tomorrow. So far, weather for next week is looking stellar.

Enjoy your scout and day away.Good luck on the weather,
you can never rely on the "Weather Guessers" 🔥

I am already back from the scouting trip. "But wait," you say, "It's 6:45 AM, how can you possibly be back from your scouting trip?" Well, I took off from home around 4:00 this morning, and pulled up to where I would begin my four wheeler ride to the trailhead. Unloaded and began the ride. We got some pretty good snow up high from yesterday's storm. About 40 minutes into my ride to the trailhead, I was into the snow. I bought my four wheeler this summer, my first, and a simple used 2wd Honda Recon. It has been fantastic for my summer trips to this trailhead, but I wasn't sure how it would do in snow. Now I know. It doesn't do well at all in snow. I pushed that little machine as hard as it would go, but once I got into 6 inches of wet, slushy, icy stuff, it just couldn't get enough traction to keep going. So, I had to turn around around the 9,000 ft elevation mark. Nice to learn what the machine can and can't do under safe conditions like that where I wasn't going to get stuck and didn't have to rely on it to get me out.

This experience confirms for me which route I will take to get into and out of the area on Monday (trailhead accessible by car). I'll have to lean hard on that day and a half of scouting I can get in before the season starts Wednesday. Thankfully, I know the area really well and have a decent idea of what to hold out for. This just limits my chances of really knowing which specific bucks to be looking for. Three of my buddies are in the area now archery hunting elk. They packed in from the other trailhead yesterday. That end of the range got far less snow and they had clear weather from about 2:00 on, whereas on my end of the range, we had heavy rain down low and heavy snow up high until about 7PM.

So, I suppose I will spend the day putting the finishing touches on getting my gear packed, helping a friend move, watching some college football, and doing a campfire with the kids in the backyard. Can't really complain about that.

Weather is looking good for next week through Friday. The weekend looks sketchy, but we will see as it gets closer.

PS: I am in the market for a 4wd four wheeler with a winch...

Well, today is the day. Crazy how we wait all year for these few weeks when we get to do what we love most. I am working from home today, then headed up to the trailhead this afternoon. The hike in is about 6 miles, then I will set up camp, and get up on a ridge to glass for the evening.

My friends were in the area this weekend and got into quite a few elk. They got into some deer, but most of their attention was on elk. They think they spotted the double cheater buck we saw a few times scouting. He has one particular draw he seems to be living in.

The weather looks really good through Thursday, and decent on Friday. Storm moves on for the weekend. I am hoping to stay in all week, coming out Friday night, avoid the weather for the weekend, maybe work Monday and Tuesday if the weather is still crummy, then go back in for a few more days. Just depends what tags I haven't punched by then.

Service is spotty up there, but if I can get signal, I'll drop some updates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back