Caribou Gear

2019 AZ Coues Deer Hunt Unit 22

JColony

Well, it only took 1 day to fill my first AZ deer tag. My buddy and I hiked into camp on Thursday and got set up. Full disclosure, it was out of laziness, LOl! We only camped 1 mile from the truck, but that mile was all uphill. So really, to avoid hiking an extra mile up hill everyday, we decided to set up a spike camp. After getting camp set, we poked around and verified some glassing locations but were unable to locate any bucks. Knowing these little guys can be tough to locate and knowing there were plenty of deer in the area, we weren't too worried about it. Back at camp, we got a good meal in our bellies and settled in for the night. Then the winds started! It absolutely ripped all night long! After maybe an hour of sleep in total, the alarm rang @ 4:00. Spent the better part of the day fighting the wind moving from glassing spot to glassing spot. Extremely uneventful and frustrating day! Saw very few deer throughout the day and only one buck that we bumped while moving to a new glassing spot. Finally, around 3:00pm, my buddy turned up a couple bucks across the canyon. One quick look at it was clear I was shooting this buck! 430 yds later, this guy was in the bag. Now I'm no pro, but I put a tape measure on him and I came to 88 1/8". First rifle deer hunt in AZ was in the books and I couldn't be more pleased! Coues Pose.jpg
Coues on ground.jpg

Congratulations, great buck. Thanks for the inspiration. Can’t wait until January to chase them with my bow.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back