2019 Alaska moose DIY

406Born

Montana but currently living in SW Michigan
Went to Alaska for a diy moose hunt. Went with a friend whose brother-in-law lives there and has hunted moose for years. Flew to Anchorage bought an over the counter moose tag and drove from there the next morning to set up camp. We were hooked up with an amazing camp and great hunting location. No great hunt story but took a moose on my second day in Alaska and and first evening of hunting. Just happened to be walking along and looked into the brush along the trail and there was a nice bull with two browtines on each side standing with a smaller bull and cow. We were hunting in a 50 inch or 3 browtine area for legal bull moose. Was lucky to be with an experienced moose hunter (since we hadn’t even gone far enough to split up yet) who was able to confirm he was wide enough to be legal. The bull stood watching us for over a minute at only 30 yards away while we judged him to make sure he was legal and moved into position to shoot through the tall brush. I would not have shot him had I been by myself since I was not comfortable judging width and knew he didn’t have enough browtines. It was just amazing how everything worked out and how the bull stood there letting us get organized. He ended up being 52 inches but looked huge. He is not a record moose but I could not be happier with my first time to Alaska and first moose. So thankful for moose meat. E0639E4F-C3BC-47D5-9412-FEFD5D13FBCA.jpeg62C9D7CD-27E9-46B0-B6A1-A11D8F56CCFC.jpegE6BB9848-3966-41AB-9DAC-9DB916F42F15.jpegA2AC1E67-A90F-4F81-94C7-25C75B0C3B8A.jpeg1703455F-445D-46DD-BE66-A97A01A12D13.jpeg

Last edited:
That takes some experience. No way I would feel comfortable shooting that on spread. That’s really cool

That is sweet. Awesome stuff! If I'm telling you to shoot, probably more nervous than you are when calling it that close. WOW!

Thanks everyone. I was nervous right up until we got the tape on him and never would have shot him without getting the okay from someone who knew what they were doing. It probably helped the moose was so close. I read horror stories before I went about people shooting moose they thought were legal only to find out they weren’t. The article below where a trooper told a hunter he thought a moose was probably legal only to walk over and measure it after it was shot and determine it wasn’t legal really stuck with me. Hunter ended up with no moose and a fine.

Back