2016 OTC 2nd Rifle Season - 1st time CO Elk Trip

tx_basser

Wanted to see what you Elk guys think of what I experienced last year, where my son and I spent all of 2nd rifle season around Dolores/Rico area. I loved the trip.. it was hard work, and spent allot of quality time with my son... just being guys.

First off.... I had never hunted Colorado, and pretty much WT hunted my entire life except for a couple of seasons in WA state where we hunted Blacktails. Anyway,, this was a group hunt, to try and get my son (17 at the time) some experience with Colorado to see if he liked it as compared to where we hunt in Texas.

Day 1/2: The group hunted Taylor Mesa with the 2K other people up there that think it is deer camp. Son and I put in quite a few miles the first day and by Sun afternoon found some active sign of Elk, so we set up in on some trails similar to how we deer hunt. Nothing materialized after Monday morning, so I figured this was for the birds, so my Bass Fishing experience told me it is time to go find the fish.. so to speak.

Days 3/4: We headed up past Rico into Lizard Head Wilderness and it was tough going to say the least for this 52 year old desk jockey. Did not see anybody else.. no vehicles at Trailhead, etc.. so I thought at least we can't use other hunters as an excuse. We hiked up maybe a mile to around 12.5K feet and started moving horizontal around the ridges to see if we could see anything. We would go in/out of the dark timber, and we started noticing bedding activity that was recent.. and I even found hair in a couple of beds. This was some of the tickest timber I have ever hunted.. it was literally broad daylight, but seemed like almost pitch black while following some of the trails through there. We did not see anything, so we started circling around till we came out on the next finger and started downhill. We then found a wallow and allot of fresh tracks, rubs, etc... that peaked our interest. We headed back the next morning before daylight and made a big circle to a small grove of trees that was about 200 yards away so we could watch the wallow and rubs. Noting materialized, so we decided to continue searching.

Day 5/6: We kept searching, and decided to go lower as we heard that pressure was moving the elk to their wintering areas early or private land, etc. We then noticed GOBS of people.. i was like HUH.. never would have expected this many people hunting this low of elevation in this warm of weather.. but what do I know. We studied some maps of where most of the people were, so we kind of plotted a couple of small strips of public land next to private land that we could watch for activity. First evening we heard a bull over the ridge behind us, and someone taking a shot later on.. so we figured they were coming off the private property we were next to and feeding on the public we were hunting. We geared up and hiked over to the next mesa the next morning and found the bench the elk were feeding in the evenings.. as it was covered in scat, tracks, rubs, etc. We hunted there the rest of the day and that evening.. nothing, so we loaded up camp and spent the night in the Walmart parking lot in Durango and drove back to Texas next day.

Some of you guys may read this.. and go "What a moron, etc.." but we were going on pretty much newby's and wanting to learn about elk hunting and garnder experience. I will say.. i was not prepared for the level of hunting and searching I would have to do.. it is completely different than WT hunting, as you have to be mobile and find the elk.. then hunt them. The altitude played heck with my anxiety, and had to spend quite a bit of time in Cortez calling the Dr to get a refill of some of my meds, getting additional supplies that we had overlooked, etc. I wish we had stayed in town in Dolores instead of camping up on Taylor Mesa as we lost allot of hunting time driving up that windy azz road and back down every day. One of the guys in our group killed a small raghorn, and I was shocked at how small it was... I've seen bigger Mule Deer.

Interesting story. You've got it right that just finding them can be a challenge, let alone killing one.

One of the guys in our group killed a small raghorn, and I was shocked at how small it was... I've seen bigger Mule Deer.

Seems unlikely unless it wasn't a legal one. :D

Nice story but stay motivated. just like Randy Newberg mentioned "90% of the time will be trying to find the elk and the other 10% of your time will be trying to kill one." Every year we learn something new and the wild animals are unpredictable to a point.

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

Great story. Sounds like typical DIY hunting for Elk. You spend a lot of time hiking and trying to find the elk. But believe me, when you finally do find them and kill one you are hooked for life. Good luck!!

My group hunted the Lizard Head 2nd rifle last year. It was our first DIY elk hunt and we didn't have any luck either. It was tough....hot hunting. Didn't hear hardly any shooting or talk to anyone that was seeing much of anything. We were the wall tent with the TX flag up by Lizard Head if you happened to see us. Not planning on going back to that area anytime soon. Trying Wyoming mule deer this year and scout for a possible elk hunt next year in WY.

Good luck this fall.

I think I remember seeing the Tent.... small world.. i was telling my son I think i saw more Texas license plates that I have anywhere else.

I am debating going back to the area for 3rd Rifle season and hunting a little farther west of Lizard Head.. Lone Cone, Dove Creek, etc. It really depends on where he winds up for college on where we are going to look for other hunting opportunities. Hoping we get him set up at West Texas A&M in Canyon where my daughter is currently at, so that gives us a better foothold on exploring Colorado.

Sir. I live in Cortez, so am very familiar with these areas. I primarily archery hunt but have hunted these areas off and on. Sorry, but that is the way it is in Colorado nowdays. It is one of very few OTC states left for elk so it is a bullseye for any hunter wanting a chance to chase elk. For that reason, from archery to fourth season rifle, these elk are pounded by humanity and have adapted to survive. They have almost totally shut up from talking during archery because every man and his dog are squawking at them with some form of a call. Even low impact archery has changed their habits, displaced them to areas that are either private or would take a helicopter to access. But even more of an issue is that there are not as many elk as the Colorado Parks and Rec say there are. I know, Im on the ground and cover 12-15 miles a day. Sign in areas that should be a honey hole, or was in the past, are void of elk. 20 years ago, I could hunt a drainage and come across 20 rubs easily. Now, you get excited over two or three. The way they do their winter counts of elk is that for every elk they see, they double it, to make up for the ones they don't see, as in fifty head is actually 100 head counted. I know,I been there. You have to remember this is a profit generating entity for the state of Colorado, so inflated numbers brings in more hunters. Less elk than stated, 3 months of hunting pressure, predator decimation, road kills, all add up to what is real. T

Back