200gr Barnes or 220gr Sierra for an 8mm rem mag.

D4570

OK here is the thing.
I have recently worked up two outstanding loads for my rem 700 8mm rem mag. One is a Barnes 200 TSX running at 3200 fps and a Sierra 220 gameking that is going just a few fps less than 3100.
Both shoot 5 group shots at an inch at 200 yards. The 220 have a "little" more felt recoil. I'll use it for Elk, bear, and an unfortunate mule deer on occasion. Unlikely over 400 yards. Which one would you zero in on? The Sierra's are a bit cheaper but not by much.
I have a lot of faith in Barnes bullet and use them in most of my hunting situations in multiple calibers. But kinda looking for a big bullet for a big gun. Thoughts?

Boy, I'd go with the Barnes myself. That's a thumper!
I agree. 200 grain is big, especially for a copper slug, less recoil, no lead in meat, etc.. That being said I have never owned or shot that cartridge, but have always been interested in it.

I had an 8mm Remington for about 20 years, like yours very accurate. Rebarreled it to a .338 Jarrett about 15 years ago. In any event it was a great killer with Nosler Partitions. Tried the Sierras for a few years, Killed three or four elk with them but I liked the Partition better. I’m certain I’m just biased to the partition.
Never tried the Barnes but I’m sure it’ll put what ever you touch with it on the meat pole.
The big 8 is a great cartridge.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back