PEAX Equipment

2 Track Roads on BLM or State Land

mrklean

Looking over OnX for my upcoming Wyoming hunt i see a lot of the BLM, State Land and Walk in land has single track roads running all over it, is the fair game to drive on (as long as you arent crossing private land)? I read one of the walk in properties has a parking lot but the rest has 2 track roads going through it, is it travel as your own risk type deal?

Last edited:
WIAs each have a map on the Access Yes page showing driveable roads. If it isn't highlighted, stay off of it.

BLM and state, must be "established." If in doubt, just park and walk.

Depending on your vehicle, some "established" roads may be too rough.

I believe that when you read the rules for most WIHAs it is park at a designated place on the map and walk in from there. That's why they call them WIHAs! If they allow driving on the property, the rules will tell you that.

"If they allow driving on the property, the rules will tell you that. "

this ^

I've driven all over some "walk in" areas.

Established two tracks are fair game on BLM and state lands provided they are not closed or enrolled in walk in areas with restrictions. Established is the key word.

So I have to piggy back off of this pot real quick, I went ahead and checked the 2 walk in areas in my unit on the Access Yes page to see if they had designated parking areas and they did not. Does this mean it's a free for all as far as driving on that land?

The map should show which roads you can use for the walk in area or click on the walk in area and it will tell you the restrictions. Some say designated roads only, they should have signs if roads are closed.

So I have to piggy back off of this pot real quick, I went ahead and checked the 2 walk in areas in my unit on the Access Yes page to see if they had designated parking areas and they did not. Does this mean it's a free for all as far as driving on that land?

Did you read the rules for each of the two WIHAs you plan to hunt? It may be that you can park anywhere along the signed boundary of the property and walk in from there, rather than being able to drive anywhere on it. Please also read post #7, as each WIHA has the rules for parking and/or/driving on the property.

Did you read the rules for each of the two WIHAs you plan to hunt? It may be that you can park anywhere along the signed boundary of the property and walk in from there, rather than being able to drive anywhere on it. Please also read post #7, as each WIHA has the rules for parking and/or/driving on the property.

When I pull up the WIHA I plan to hunt it says all access restrictions apply but when I look at the map, there’s no designated parking or closed roads throughout the property. So would that mean that I could park on any county road that borders the WIHA and walk in from there? I’m assuming I can’t just drive out there.

ryan shoot me a pm with that WIHA, I'll look at it .
Click on more info to see the restrictions.

Question: Regarding the BLM land and state land... You are not allowed to drive off road at all, correct? Just want to be clear that you can ONLY drive on already established roads- not that I plan on or would drive off road for any reason other than an absolute emergency. It's just good to know information that I cannot find anywhere on the BLM websites. Sorry for the thread hijack lol

Back