Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

$2,000 budget but need help proritizing equipment purchases

Like others have said, you didn't mention your boots. I'd place those as top priority if you don't already have some good ones.

How are you for camp equipment? Getting a good night's rest with a good tent, sleeping pad, bag, stove for hot meals, etc. makes more of a difference for me than what type of clothing or riflescope I have.

Similar to the boots I was not factoring the camping equipment into this particular budget because I will have to buy that anyways. I was trying to figure out what are the most necessary needs so that I can allocate the money to the most important things.

Most of the hunters where I live use a -06,300WM,7mmMG,7-08. For elk. Lot's of 308's showing up now. Everything under the rainbows shows here & there.
Boots,Lowas,Kennetreks, or similar.
Stick with the 10X42 until you upgrade quality. I use 10x42 & 10x50's on lite tripod I can also shoot off. Spotter has always stayed in the truck pretty much after scouting or finding an area to hunt.
A new stock bedded correctly would be good.
Go Leupold 10x or Ziess or similar if you can find them on sale for a scope . A vr3 10x40 cds like in BF videos is a winner.
I found a steal on a Ziess.

Last edited:
I would be interested in knowing the cost as well.

It's only about $100 or so. I've done 2 of my scopes.

I think you're on the right track overall. I'd say your binoculars would be the first thing I'd concentrate on. Yea Swarovski and Zeiss are awesome but I think for the value, it's tough to beat Vortex Razors. 10x42 would be great. I don't feel like you'd NEED a new rifle or rifle scope right now and would focus on other things. Binoculars, boots and a pack are what I'd concentrate on. Plus, you can easily spend $500 on other accessories you'll need that are $20-100.

One thing that I have not seen mentioned while using a spotting scope is an eyepatch!!! Using a patch let's you keep both eyes open so you can scan lots of country without eye strain. They are easily available at your local drugstore. It also has the advantage of making you look like a pirate. FWIW

I have the same gun as you and replaced the trigger and wooden stock. I couldn't be the difference it made. I put in a 3.5lbish Timney trigger and the BC stock and it is like a new gun. The new trigger really helps out on those long shoots and the synthetic stock really lightened up the gun. I have a Zeiss 3x9x40 with out turrets. I zero at 200 yards and am good out to 400 with hold over. That set up has work on 2 antelope at 350 yards. A350 yards shot on an elk should be easier since the target is bigger, and a 7mag is more than powerful enough. I would save money on a new gun and instead replace the wooden stock and trigger on your M77.

Good boots can't be understated. I upgraded last year to Lowa boots and I love them, granted i haven't tried any other Mtn. Boots. They are a bit stiff but i think that is what you want if you plan on packing out an elk. I used to hunt with hiking boots and my feet always killed me.

My next upgrades will be a good spotting scope or a hot tent (seek outside tipi with stove).

Last edited:
Skip upgrading your binos, riflescope, and rifle for now, unless they have some sort of issue already.

Get:
1. Backpack
2. Rangefinder
3. Boots
4. Good rain gear
5. Spotting scope+tripod

1. Boots (Kenetrek, Lowa) Find em and wear em before buying.
2. Pack (Kuiu, Stone Glacier, EXO, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru) Most good companies will let you send it back if it dosent fit.
3. Trekking poles (Flip style locks hold better IMO than the twist type) can double as a bino mono pod if done right
4. GPS (don't go out with out it)
5. Glass (buy the best you can afford, forget the website but there is a place that rent the Swaro's for 15 bucks a day or so....)

That right there is less than your 2k budget, but how do you plan to camp? Spike camp, base camp, hotel, camper, RV, back seat of the pickup?

I'm glad to see some of the recommendations from the veterans here. I was a complete rookie to backcountry and western hunting a few years ago. I wanted to dive right in and spend money too. Different animals, different habitats all require different gear and hunt styles.

In your list the only thing that will really need to be upgraded is the pack. The other three are more than suitable. If you're not a big "glassing" hunter, I think you'll be wasting your money on a spotting scope. Learn to glass with bino's first. Scopes allow you scout certain spots more precisely as well the ability to scout individual animals from a distance, but thats more of an "advanced" technique, I guess. Its a heavy novelty at first and may not be helpful depending on the terrain and habitat.

If I was looking to spend more money, then upgrade the binos and get a bino harness if you don't have one. I also rarely recommend someone against buying a new gun, but I dont see a reason your current rifle isn't adequate. Take the advice already given about freshening up the current rifle and scope.

I would focus way more on camping gear than your hunting gear, and of course boots. Did anyone else mention boots.

Last edited:
If I had $2000 to blow on "gear," it would be on a spotting scope and a quality pack. You seem to have the rest covered.

Big binos, long range rifle setups, etc. Have such little use in practical hunting situations, the return on investment is far better spent elsewhere, IMO.

I rarely leave home without a spotter, and always wish I had it if I did.

Contrary to others, I would pack two binos before my spotter. I get eye fatigue too bad and too quickly to rely on a spotter. Other than that, throw your budget into an IRA and edge closer to retirement, the sooner you get there the more hunting you can do. Your gear will not be what limits your success.

I would add a good primaloft down coat (Kuiu,Sitka, many others)---so wonderful when sitting glassing, also, I really like a cheap seat pad to sit on when glassing. Maybe add a tripod to your glassing setup. Comfortable glassing makes a huge difference to me in the elk and mule deer mountains.....
Merino wool base layer is a must. A great pair of perfectly fitting mountain pants is a must in my book as well.
As others have said, As close to Perfect Boots as you can get would be my first priority.
Don't overlook the basics and how far technology and performance clothing has come in the last 10 years...
All day comfort is so valuable when climbing mountains!

Get a good pair of boots and a good pack. The rest will fall into place. I got by just fine with a cheap pair of vortex talons for many years before I was able to upgrade, and didn't notice much of a difference in terms of game spotted and killed, but boy when I found a pair of boots and a pack that fit just right was it a world of difference.

Last year I spent a ton on new items as a new out west hunter and I had some of the same questions. I bought a new rifle and scope, Howa Mountain Alpine and Leopold VX3i 14x40, $1500, Mystery Ranch Marshall ($360), spotting scope, Vanguard Endeavor HD ($450). I went overboard on the rifle, but I wanted it and I will only ever have 1 rifle and on the other items I feel I went reasonable and they will last me forever. If you have items you feel will last forever, don't bother upgrading them. From looking at your list and the fact you have used these items before and done well, I say get a new pack, average 10x42 binos and a medium spotter. I bet you can get way under $2000 and have left over for gas for the trip :) Have fun shopping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back