1st time Elk Hunt

Windlaker

We are planning an Elk hunt for Fall of 2020. We've (from Wisconsin) been archery Mule Deer hunting in SD for the past 8 years or so, with decent success. So we have a bit of experience in hunting "Out West".

Going to do a cow hunt, rifle. We are considering Zone 21 in Wyoming. Mostly because I have a cousin that's hunted there a couple times and has been successful.

I'm looking at the 2019 regs, and I see that "Any Elk" is from Oct. 23 thru the 31st. And nothing in the "Quota" column. Then there is the "Limited Quota" with a quota of 200, Oct. 15 thru Nov. 17. Couple questions...

1. Would I be better off taking the "Any Elk" season, success-wise?
2. What exactly is the Limited Quota? I think it means Leftover, right?
3. I believe we can buy a Preference Point. Would it be worth it, or would a cow tag be easy enough without?

Thanks in advance,

WindLaker

WY issues tags to NR in a main draw. There are no OTC tags for elk for NR.

The NR can either opt to apply so pay the higher of two prices (Special class) for the same tag or can pay less (Regular class). Why pay more if the same tag is the end result? The drawing odds can be better in the Special. Or can be worse.

Special class gets 40% of the NR tags. Of that 40%, 1/4 are awarded randomly and 3/4 goes to the applicants with the highest total of preference points of which you can buy 1 point post-draw if you do not draw your 1st Choice.

Regular gets 60% of the NR tags. Random and Preference splits are same as with Special.

You will likely look at the NR elk main draw drawing odds from 2019 and see that anterless tags have better odds to draw if your goal is a cow elk. "Any elk" will also attract applicants only seeking a bull or an applicant wanting the option to shoot a cow elk if decide not to shoot a bull elk.

If you have a spare $100 or so laying around, GoHunt, will allow you to sort the elk units in WY (and other states if look at them) to see 2019 odds you can draw with 0 and with 1 point (you will have 1 point for 2020 if you buy an elk point July 1 through October 31) and harvest odds plus some tidbits about terrain, etc. The elk point is for all 1st Choice main draw elk tags.

If an elk tag remains after all choices (not just 1st Choice) of applicants are filled then the leftover tags go into a Leftover Draw at end of June and are awarded in early July. If are still tags leftover then are First Come First served.

You can only have 1 bull or "any elk" tag. You can also add an antlerless elk tag for two tags maximum. Well, if you buy a Commissioner's tag perhaps you can have another bull tag. I think $10K or so will get one of those.

If you ever plan on hunting WY for deer or pronghorn then can also buy a point for each of those July 1 - October 31. Two or three years of building pronghorn points will get a nice tag where is plenty of public land and high harvest rates on average bucks. Plan on 7-10 years of building points for deer but the herd is hurt in some regions of WY right now by winter kills so waiting 10 years might be a good plan if are anymore winter kills soon. If do not like waiting that many years then you could scratch a check to an outfitter to hunt less-pressured private lands in a less desirable unit or wilderness portion of a unit that is easier to draw.

Cow elk can be very fine dining so I like your focus for the 2020 species.

Unit 21 is a general unit... Looks like they do have some area specific cow/calf tags but the # of applicants is much greater than the # of tags so I would suggest you buy a PP this year for sure while you decide what you want to do...

Windlaker,

You have pretty long odds for a cow tag in Area 21 -- this year it was 9.4%.
Limited quota means just that--there is a limited number of tags for the specific area. In the case you're asking about, there are exactly 200 cow tags given out, 16 of which are allocated to nonresidents. If you want to hunt during the any elk or antlered elk general season in Area 21, you'll have to draw a general tag. This year you needed 3 preference points do draw a general tag or a 14% chance in the random draw (regular). Preference points aren't used for cow tags, so they won't help you. Basically, if you're just thinking about it now, it's going to be very difficult to hunt area 21 next year. You would need at least 3 years of accumulating preference points to get the tags, unless you just get lucky in the draw.

I’d echo the idea of being sure to buy your points for this year. I loved the generous time frame to secure points when I wasn’t a Wyoming resident.

Thanks so much for the advise, guys.

I assumed based on what my cousin told me, it was an easy tag to get. WRONG.

Will buy a preference point, but will be looking for different areas, most likely.

Thanks again.

What are the odds your from wind lake? Lol
Always apply for NM. No points. Or you can buy a landowner tag. Sometimes cheap.

Nice.
Ive got 2 buddies in and on Wind lake.
Im just up the road.
The 3 of us are doing a Montana general hunt in October.
Its a easier tag to draw on shorter notice and gives you tons of land to hunt. Little farther drive but it is what it is.
I have GoHunt and Onxmaps if you want any help looking up units anywhere.

I drew an antelope tag in Wy and a NM archery elk so i spend tons of time on both researching.
Lmk how the fireworks arw on the lake this weekend. Ill be up north mowing my food plots lol.

Fisherkid1,

Wind Lake fireworks were on June 29th. I don't live on the lake, so I did not see them. From the sounds, it was a great show. Friends on the lake said they were pretty good.

We were trying to avoid MT due to the license cost.

Friends and I are still trying to decide what the heck we're gonna try.

Thanks for the offer on the maps.

WindLaker

You have a lot of good options if you don't mind paying full price for a cow tag. Reduced price tags don't use preference points and are getting tougher to draw so, for the most part, don't plan your fall around drawing one.

Back