Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

1st rifle

My kids started on 22s then 410 and 223 I just recently bought a 6.5 Creedmoor for them to start Using i really liked the 223 for them for learning longer shots it has no recoil and is cheap to shoot

My kids started on 22s then 410 and 223 I just recently bought a 6.5 Creedmoor for them to start Using i really liked the 223 for them for learning longer shots it has no recoil and is cheap to shoot

I like mine so much it's probably my favorite rifle to carry and use. The whole damn family has shot deer with it except me! :D Not for a lack of trying though.

Kid needs to learn to shoot, he needs to shoot. How much for a 50 rds of 22 rimfire? Now, how much for 50 rds of, take your pick, center fire rounds!

6mm Remington - 243 Winchester

257 Roberts - 25-06 Remington

6.5x55 Swede - 6.5 PRC - 6.5-06 - 6.5 Creedmoor

270 Winchester - 270 WSM

280 Remington - 280AI - 7mm Mauser - 7mm-08

308 Winchester - 30-06

I would suggest an accurate bolt action .22 rimfire with a good quality scope. That is certainly something he will use for the rest of his life no matter where he lives. I believe he is too young to hunt big game in many states. Wait a few years for the centerfire rifle. He'll probably do some growing. As stated above - take him along on hunts where you can teach him things : tracks, wind, terrain, fire building, how to have fun while hunting. Plenty of time to shop for a big game rifle. Over the next couple of years take him along to the range when shooting with friends. Maybe let him try some lower recoiling rifles.

Son turns 8 in a couple months and want to buy him his first rifle. Something he will keep forever.

My dad bought me a .270 back in the day, but I’m wondering if i should get him a 6.5 creedmoor? Something that won’t make him not want to shoot because of the recoil.

I want to get him practicing so he can take a deer or antelope at 10 years old.

I know there are other threads with similar questions, but I’m more focused on his age at 8 vs 10, 11 or 12 years old. Giving him a great experience is what I’m after, not a gun he has to “grow” into.

What are your suggestions, please?
I'm going to echo what most everyone else is telling you, but add to not overlook the PCP air rifles like the Air Force Condor. With some decent glass, they are very accurate. In the ammo short times, we've been able to keep pulling the trigger without concern. My kids all can ring 3 MOA steel @ 100yds all day. Very fun way to sharpen rifle skills.

Looks like it's the trend here and I agree. Start with a 22 and get him shootin. Most kids that young don't want to shoot more than a few rounds out of a bigger gun. In 3 or 4 years when he's ready to start hunting he'll be able to help you with the choice. When my son was about that age I bought him a little Rossi pump 22 and it was a great little gun. He went from that to a 30-30.

My neighbor started his daughter on the 6.5 CM when she was 6.
Then went up to a 223 Rem at age 7.
Now at 8 she's shooting a 7mm Rem Mag. :ROFLMAO:
Just picking!

I didn't come from a hunting family. My friend & neighbor did. He introduced me to hunting with a single shot .410 when i was about 12.
I still have & shoot my first firearm, a Hawthorne bolt action .410.

My daughter at age 8 wanted to start hunting with me. Her grandfather gave her a Browning take down 22 semi auto.
At age 23, she still loves shooting the thing!
At age 13, she wanted a deer rifle of her own.
I got her a Weatherby Vangard in 243 Win.
She hated it!
Found out just how recoil sensitive she was with that.
She does like to shoot my Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts. Enough weight to make recoil acceptable to her.

I just got my son a .22 Winchester Wildcat to learn how to shoot along with passing down my .22 Cricket that my dad got me when I was little. He loves both of them. He is 6. I just recently finished building an ar in .223 wylde and I'm going to see how he likes shooting it this fall when deer season roles around. I would like to pick up maybe .243 or something similar in the future for him to use exclusively as his deer rifle.

My gf is very petite and I bought her a 6.5 creedmore savage axis and she loves it! Very flat shooting gun with little to no recoil. The best part is you will love it too lol. I killed a really nice buck with it this year. I would 10/10 recommend

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back