1st bear hunt

Nemont4

I will be going on my first ever Montana bear hunt in the middle of May in the Beartooths. I’m just looking for some tips or strategies for out in the field. I’ve read from multiple sources that the best luck is had above the treeline or glassing around avalanche chutes. Is it better to cover a bunch of country? Or better to find a good glassing point to sit for a few hours? Anything will help.

Stick and stay and make it pay. Finding good glassing points is key. Find yourself some meadows or areas that are gonna be sunny bears are pretty lethargic first part of the season they won't go to far in some cases less then a hundred yards even from their den areas until they get some energy and start to digest some greens. Then they will begin to move more. The power hour is a real thing in the bear hunting world that's a key time to be patient even after a long day. In the middle of May or so the boars and sows will begin to move around more and more boars especially because they're lookin to shack up with a sow.
There's gonna be quite a few people out then as well but you should be able to find a area where you can get away from people. I wouldn't say you need to find the deepest hole you can. I have seen many bears from well traveled roads and even taken a couple in areas where people just drive on by. If you have the patience they will appear. Many times ive watched a hill for 5 or more hours then all the sudden one appears.
As always when you do see one make sure you watch the bear for a bit you typically don't need to rush it but you wanna make damn sure there's not another little fuzz ball hanging in the brush or trees. Good luck to you and pack accordingly for spring hunts in the tooths i've been caught many times by a nasty spring storm in there. One minute it can be 60 and beautiful the next it's dumping buckets and hailing sideways.

Once you hit the bear try and get a second and third round in him. Between the fat and hair bears don’t bleed too good

Stick and stay and make it pay. Finding good glassing points is key. Find yourself some meadows or areas that are gonna be sunny bears are pretty lethargic first part of the season they won't go to far in some cases less then a hundred yards even from their den areas until they get some energy and start to digest some greens. Then they will begin to move more. The power hour is a real thing in the bear hunting world that's a key time to be patient even after a long day. In the middle of May or so the boars and sows will begin to move around more and more boars especially because they're lookin to shack up with a sow.
There's gonna be quite a few people out then as well but you should be able to find a area where you can get away from people. I wouldn't say you need to find the deepest hole you can. I have seen many bears from well traveled roads and even taken a couple in areas where people just drive on by. If you have the patience they will appear. Many times ive watched a hill for 5 or more hours then all the sudden one appears.
As always when you do see one make sure you watch the bear for a bit you typically don't need to rush it but you wanna make damn sure there's not another little fuzz ball hanging in the brush or trees. Good luck to you and pack accordingly for spring hunts in the tooths i've been caught many times by a nasty spring storm in there. One minute it can be 60 and beautiful the next it's dumping buckets and hailing sideways.
This is good info for you.

Hey guys long time stalker of this forum and finally decided to register. I am also going on my first bear hunt this spring. I have 4-5 areas I am going to concentrate on throughout the season. Is it legal to hunt around elk calving areas?

Hey guys long time stalker of this forum and finally decided to register. I am also going on my first bear hunt this spring. I have 4-5 areas I am going to concentrate on throughout the season. Is it legal to hunt around elk calving areas?

I know for sure I've seen signs that say "closed for elk calving" so maybe it just depends on where you go?

Last edited:
I know for sure I've seen signs that say "closed for elk calving" so maybe it just depends on where you go.

This.

If it's not a formal closure, there is nothing illegal about it.

To the OP, read EYJONAS' post again. Glassing is the name of the game. You can watch a hillside for hours, and all of a sudden a bear appears. Find the food sources and put the glass to work. I just bought a bino tripod adaptor for my upcoming bear hunt.

Back