Caribou Gear Tarp

'18 Chevy Colorado Z71

Sytes

Any mechanics, owners, etc have thoughts over this midsize truck? Keeping in mind Bang for the $.

Con: Clearance... A city, "Truck".

Pro: Motor 8-speed automatic 3.6L DI DOHC V6.

Of the adverse reviews that held notable content:
I've read a few regarding a "Clunking" rear noise when reaching a stop, sometimes challenged downshifting, rear seats do not lift or drop(?)

We have an '18 Ford F150 3.5 ecoboost and enjoy it greatly. My Queen has laid claim and I'm not suited as a Subaru Cowboy. She has gifted me the opportunity to swap for a truck, '18+ (best finance options). I have some 32k available.

I viewed this truck @ 31k in person yesterday. Took the eve reading reviews, see if its worth pursuing. Plan to drive today unless someone reveals a Pinto flaw.

Hmm, I have a 2017 Colorado and haven't noticed any of that. I have the diesel, so the transmission is different. Can't speak to the 8 speed. The rear seats fold down and up. It kinda creates a high shelf when folded forward and folded up there is a nice storage compartment. Clearance is a bit limited, but taking off that damn chin spoiler helps. I'll be putting on a small lift soon. Overall, its been a nice truck. Comfortable for long road trips and capable enough to get to hunting, fishing, camping spots. It has actually impressed me a few times off road. I can push over 30 mpg, but usually average about 25.

Any mechanics, owners, etc have thoughts over this midsize truck? Keeping in mind Bang for the $.

Con: Clearance... A city, "Truck".

Pro: Motor 8-speed automatic 3.6L DI DOHC V6.

Of the adverse reviews that held notable content:
I've read a few regarding a "Clunking" rear noise when reaching a stop, sometimes challenged downshifting, rear seats do not lift or drop(?)

We have an '18 Ford F150 3.5 ecoboost and enjoy it greatly. My Queen has laid claim and I'm not suited as a Subaru Cowboy. She has gifted me the opportunity to swap for a truck, '18+ (best finance options). I have some 32k available.

I viewed this truck @ 31k in person yesterday. Took the eve reading reviews, see if its worth pursuing. Plan to drive today unless someone reveals a Pinto flaw.

I’m looking to go a similar route just for what it’s worth you might want to look at the 2020s That have been on lot for the entire year and haven’t sold they are marked down already and can be had for around the same Price as a used truck.

My friend has one, he likes it so far. No major problems besides just regular car stuff. As it goes for hunting the clearance isn’t great so it’s hard to get over some roads. Make sure you have a skid plate, he learned that lesson really quick.

I hear thats a pretty nice setup. I've not looked at $ for the diesel. Had good reviews though

Yea I really like the diesel and the low end torque it makes. That is something missing on midsize trucks these days. I've driven my sisters 2016 Tacoma and I feel like it doesn't do anything until 4k rpm. It is an expensive option tho, like $3k or so? I'm hoping to get a lot of miles out of it.

In my opinion the Colorado is a no go. I drive one everyday at work and am in charge of upkeep on many more ranging from '17 models to '20 models. We have a total of 175 units in the district. Rarely does one make it to 115000 miles before being disposed of due to mechanical issues.

Main issues in order of frequency:

Electrical
Transmission
Faulty water pump
Leaking heater hose connections

Before we switched from Nissan Frontiers to Colorado's in '15 I had far fewer problems with many more miles on the fleet.

Pro's:
Rides nice
Handles nice

Cons:

Everything else

The GM 8 speed transmissions are garbage. I work at a GM dealer, also I own two of them...

Overall they are decent rides, but if a mid size pickup is what you want... Tacoma, hands down they are the best in that market/class.

I’m looking to go a similar route just for what it’s worth you might want to look at the 2020s That have been on lot for the entire year and haven’t sold they are marked down already and can be had for around the same Price as a used truck.
Yep... amazing, a 37k 2020 trd sport tacoma is along the same value as an 18 trd sport...

I ended up going a playful three piece hard top Jeep Gladiator w/ 7650 tow load, 4:10 axles/gearing. It's practical and fun. Surprisingly, with doors and top off with mid suze truck bed, pulling my old bass boat... it's a good time.20200828_100345.jpg

Yep... amazing, a 37k 2020 trd sport tacoma is along the same value as an 18 trd sport...

I ended up going a playful three piece hard top Jeep Gladiator w/ 7650 tow load, 4:10 axles/gearing. It's practical and fun. Surprisingly, with doors and top off with mid suze truck bed, pulling my old bass boat... it's a good time.View attachment 152534

My wife and I both really liked those until we priced them out lol.

In my opinion the Colorado is a no go. I drive one everyday at work and am in charge of upkeep on many more ranging from '17 models to '20 models. We have a total of 175 units in the district. Rarely does one make it to 115000 miles before being disposed of due to mechanical issues.

Main issues in order of frequency:

Electrical
Transmission
Faulty water pump
Leaking heater hose connections

Before we switched from Nissan Frontiers to Colorado's in '15 I had far fewer problems with many more miles on the fleet.

Pro's:
Rides nice
Handles nice

Cons:

Everything else
Wow, great and helpful post.

I have a 2017 Sierra. I have had the transmission (6 speed) replaced on warranty. Out of pocket was $50.

My wife and I both really liked those until we priced them out lol.
Yes, pricey though after viewing new v used Tacomas @ 37k average, new = 0 miles, etc, we opted for the gladiator.
They had some incentives rolling from Chrysler (aka Fiat) that dropped 2k + another 2wk incentive 1k, usaa 500, first responder 500, and dealer drop price $1800, it sold @ 38.5k. From there we had equity in our '18 Ford f150, further dickering commenced.

BTW, don't ever buy into the b.s. notion of "haggle free bottom priced " as I'm sure most are aware... there is always haggling. There is always room to argue another 2.5-5% after researching all national discounts, etc. Depends on month end sales, proximity to next year vehicles rolling in, etc. If they want to sell it, they'll haggle away.

The first dealer v buyer battle was for my wife's truck (white) for her commute, fun, and side business public farmer's market trailer transport vehicle. She didn't like the idea of me driving it. Haha!
2481.jpeg

She haggled a start deal for another in Idaho. Further haggling occurred after I had Toyota and Dave smith both dropping prices (and raising subaru trade in value) in a bit of competition and we picked up the one in the first picture for 38k.

I like it... odd to park side by side with another though there is zero battle over who's the subie driver vs the Ford. Haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back