17 HMR Tube Fed Bolt Action

Not sure if you'll get a tube fed 17 outside of a lever gun. I can however strongly recommend ruger rotary mag 17s. Head and shoulders over savage single stack and rotary mags.

Marlin *made* tube-fed .22lr and .22 mags. It wouldn’t be a hard thing for a gunsmith to rebarrel a .22mag with a .17HMR barrel. Not sure what they are going for anymore but I have a handful of Marlin bolt guns that shoot wonderfully. I know I haven’t paid more than $150 for any of them used.

I had constant problems with tip damage and bullet setback in the pump actions. Only fmj's would reliably feed without deforming , I'm wondering if a bolt/ tube feed would have the same problem and that's why you don't see them. Those little 17 projectiles are delicate...

They are definitely delicate. I've stuffed a couple into the case. There's not enough powder for a "compressed" load so it dumps the powder in the chamber. I am starting to get the Savage mags dialed in but it's an ongoing pain in the ass.

I'm not a Savage fan either. I have many Rugers and never had any kind of issues. The Savage mag is horrible but for the price, you can't complain. It's consistent at 200 with CCI TNT on squirrels. Very accurate. A tube feed would be great for capacity. The Savage 10 round mag hanging down is a pain. It snags on everything. Did I mention it's accurate as hell?

As they say "Opinions are like assholes, some of them stink". Had I known that he knew everything and was never wrong, I probably would have done exactly what I wanted to do anyway.

I know very little and am usually probably wrong (according to my wife)...

BUT, since I've owned a Savage 93 and a B-series, I did know the B17 is bolt-action, stainless, and accurate while still inexpensive (the parameters you had asked for) but without the magazine feeding problem of the 93. Plus, there are always better aftermarket stocks out there... ;)

I know very little and am usually probably wrong (according to my wife)...

BUT, since I've owned a Savage 93 and a B-series, I did know the B17 is bolt-action, stainless, and accurate while still inexpensive (the parameters you had asked for) but without the magazine feeding problem of the 93. Plus, there are always better aftermarket stocks out there... ;)
I did appreciate your input and the time it took to offer up your advice/opinion. It kinda makes me chuckle at people who get all pissy and offended when others don't follow their sage advice. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure no one knows everything about everything. Unless of course your talking to a female.

I had a savage b17 for a while and was never so happy to ditch those garbage rotary mags and go to the Ruger rotary. I also approve and love my Ruger precision rimfire in 17hmr. Not pretty but shoots well enough I over look that.

I did appreciate your input and the time it took to offer up your advice/opinion. It kinda makes me chuckle at people who get all pissy and offended when others don't follow their sage advice. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure no one knows everything about everything. Unless of course your talking to a female.

Oh, not offended at all, was just giving you a hard time...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back