1000 yard Rifle & Scope for under $1000

coloradoguy

How many of you guys are getting great performance out of cheap rifles? If so whats your set up? Rifle, Scope and ammo.

Personally I think Ruger is blowing away the competition.

-Ruger American Go Wild- Numerous Calibers and can be found for under $500 (The predator version is a tack driver as well)
-Top it with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical
-I use Hornady bullets. I reload and tailor my loads to what my gun wants (Factory ammo is very capable as well.)

This is my particular combo and it flat out shoots!

Shooting long range, makes your short game soo much better. Makes those tight hunting shots much more attainable and ethical. I don't advocate for long range hunting but long range shooting builds confidence that is taken into the field which in my opinion is the #1 tool in your toolbox.

When I did mine, I went with a Savage 10T from Cabela's. I got it the first year they did the special run of them, but have had friends pick up later years models that don't shoot quite as good. YMMV. Topped it with a SWFA 10x, on a 20 MOA base. I made it in just under my $1000 max. It's a great gun, and I've had a lot of fun with it over the years. Not quite ready for F-Class competitions mind you, but lots of fun nonetheless.

For ultra-cheap long range I think the best deal is when cabellas has its savage 12FV in 6.5cm on sale. Have had both the Ruger and the 12FV and not even close - 12FV a much stronger starting point. YMMV.
I got one in 223 a couple years ago, they had it on a black Friday sale at the same time there was a rebate from savage. I topped it off with a 4-12 vortex scope that was on sale. All in I think it was about $375 ready to shoot and it amazes me how tight that rifle shoots, especially with that super flexible stock it comes with

From the report's I've read past few years, nobody is blowing away the competition! Have to admit Ruger has a huge following but boy is their plastic stock rifle's ugly! When the old Mod 77 came out I felt it was the most beautiful factory rifle around. Got one and was really proud of it for looks didn't shoot worth a d*mn though! I have a Mossberg Patriot in 243 that out of the box with some run of the mill handloads went into just under an inch. Worked over the loads and it's closer to 1/2" now. Wow. that a $299 piece of junk I just wanted to fool with that happens to look good in wood to me! Now if I was to shoot it at 1000 yds with the 4 1/2-14xNikon on it would it make a good 1000 yd rifle? Maybe not with me shooting, I've never tried it how about with an experienced 1000 yd shooter? Hard telling till it would be tried.

My initial reply only provided a rifle, so let's finish the request:

For a sub-$750 rifle + scope for 1000y shooting I would go with the Savage 12FV in 6.5CM, often priced at $350. The thicker and longer varmint barrel and more aftermarket options give it an easy win over the Ruger American. I would then at a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 available for $350 on europtic and others. The diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP is an option too at $399, as is the SWFA SS 10x42M at $399

For a sub-$1,000 rifle + scope for 1000y shooting I would still go with the Savage 12FV in 6.5CM, often priced at $350. But would upgrade the glass to a Leupold vx-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 and get good pricing from @schmalts and hopefully fit this in at $650. Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42 would be a good fallback at $580.

Last edited:
For ultra-cheap long range I think the best deal is when cabellas has its savage 12FV in 6.5cm on sale. Have had both the Ruger and the 12FV and not even close - 12FV a much stronger starting point. YMMV.
I have been close a few times on pulling the trigger (pardon the pun) on buying a 12FV in 6.5cm. Have you used your's to hunt or just target? If you have used it for hunting how manageable or not is it? With a scope it is where, about 9.5 pounds or so?

I have been close a few times on pulling the trigger (pardon the pun) on buying a 12FV in 6.5cm. Have you used your's to hunt or just target? If you have used it for hunting how manageable or not is it? With a scope it is where, about 9.5 pounds or so?

Bought as a budget 1000y project for my son. Target only. Its got a long heavy barrel so I wouldn't use it as a carry hunting gun. I moved it to a new f class style stock and a big NF scope so those added a lot of weight - its's probably 14 lbs now without bipod or ammo. I think it came out of the box right at 9lbs so puts at 10.5lb with scope and rings, add sling, bipod and ammo and you would be pushing 12 lbs. But shoots sub 0.7MOA with factory ammo, will be handloading to get it below 0.5MOA at some point.

Last edited:
Bought as a budget 1000y project for my son. Target only. Its got a long heavy barrel so I wouldn't use it as a carry hunting gun. I moved it to a new f class style stock and a big NF scope so those added a lot of weight - its's probably 14 lbs now without bipod or ammo. I think it came out of the box right at 9lbs so puts at 10.5lb with scope and rings, add sling, bipod and ammo and you would be pushing 12 lbs. But shoots sub 0.7MOA with factory ammo, will be handloading to get it below 0.5MOA at some point.

@RaiderRich here is my son this afternoon giving it a whirl.

1588389547037.png

From the report's I've read past few years, nobody is blowing away the competition! Have to admit Ruger has a huge following but boy is their plastic stock rifle's ugly! When the old Mod 77 came out I felt it was the most beautiful factory rifle around. Got one and was really proud of it for looks didn't shoot worth a d*mn though! I have a Mossberg Patriot in 243 that out of the box with some run of the mill handloads went into just under an inch. Worked over the loads and it's closer to 1/2" now. Wow. that a $299 piece of junk I just wanted to fool with that happens to look good in wood to me! Now if I was to shoot it at 1000 yds with the 4 1/2-14xNikon on it would it make a good 1000 yd rifle? Maybe not with me shooting, I've never tried it how about with an experienced 1000 yd shooter? Hard telling till it would be tried.
Ugly doesn’t change the groups I’m getting. But I’ve heard great things about the patriots as well. The benefit to the ruger American go wild (which Is why I prefer it) is the cerakote and it comes with a break. The predator is a bit cheaper and comes threaded. Which are nice options.

Last edited:
My initial reply only provided a rifle, so let's finish the request:

For a sub-$750 rifle + scope for 1000y shooting I would go with the Savage 12FV in 6.5CM, often priced at $350. The thicker and longer varmint barrel and more aftermarket options give it an easy win over the Ruger American. I would then at a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 available for $350 on europtic and others. The diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP is an option too at $399, as is the SWFA SS 10x42M at $399

For a sub-$1,000 rifle + scope for 1000y shooting I would still go with the Savage 12FV in 6.5CM, often priced at $350. But would upgrade the glass to a Leupold vx-3i LRP 6.5-20x50 and get good pricing from @schmalts and hopefully fit this in at $650. Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42 would be a good fallback at $580.
Aftermarket options is what pushes all rifles past the 1000 dollar mark. And the heavy barrels add weight. Weight is an important factor to me and I imagine others. Sport contours are still capable of good accuracy. But I dig your recommendations that still fit the 1000 dollar budget.

Last edited:
I'm clearly not in the same class as most of you... but one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned is a Savage Axis in .223. I got the package for around $275.00 NIB, had a Timney trigger put in it for another $110.00 and it out shoots rifles I've spent 4x as much on. I realize a 223 doesn't answer the 1,000y question, but you can still get the Axis rifle pretty cheap in most calibers.

I'm clearly not in the same class as most of you... but one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned is a Savage Axis in .223. I got the package for around $275.00 NIB, had a Timney trigger put in it for another $110.00 and it out shoots rifles I've spent 4x as much on. I realize the a 223 doesn't answer the 1,000y question, but you can still get the Axis rifle pretty cheap in most calibers.

For your total of $385 - the savage 12FV (on sale) will give the user a smoother action, a better/stiffer stock, a better barrel, a thicker barrel, a longer barrel (all good for 1000y purposes) and will include a decent adjustable trigger (much better than the axis facotry and 90% of the timney in my experience). I am not knocking your approach. A few years ago, I got an axis for $99 open box clearance new and put a $99 timney trigger in it - a bargain shooter indeed. It was an adequate rifle, but not nearly as nice as the 12FV for OPs purpose.

I have the 12FV in 6.5 MB and it's a tack driver. Bought it on sale for $350 at Cabelas. I paired it with a fixed 10x SWFA scope that was on black friday sale with rings/bubble/sun shade for $300. The scope dials up two turns, dials back, and is perfectly zeroed still. No problems with drifting. It's been out-shooting some people with rigs twice as expensive. If you're not going to switch out the stock (which is pretty flimsy, but better than most plastic stocks), what I did is bed in a steel rod to the fore-end and bedded the recoil lug to make it a bit more stout with a bipod.

While it's used primarily for target shooting, the thing works perfectly for a "bean field" whitetail rifle. I killed 3 with it this year and as long as you don't have to carry it too far or shoot anything too close (10x is a bit zoomed in for 25 yard shots) it's great. If you have any more questions DM me.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back