10+ Years of Use, What Worked

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Also, a pair of wool bibs from the good ol Cabelas days. They're the ones with windshear (poor man's gore tex). Finally got threadbare in the 'cheeks' after a good 20 plus years of hard use
And a Filson Mackinaw Waistcoat ...the red/black plaid double layered one...at least 25 years. Looks brand new because it has rarely been cold enough to wear.
Can't find the bibs anymore Ken, I've tried to find them used.

Kenetrek mountain boots- have been wearing the same pair for over 10 years. 2 years into being resoled and still working great.

Stone Glacier is still working like it's new. Probably one of the best quality items I've purchased.

Cabelas Euro (meopta) 12x50s still are my go to binocular. I have purchased other pairs since and these are still my pick almost everytime I'm out.

Montana Canvas Wall Tent - I can't even remember how many nights I've spent in my wall tent and while she's got some battle wounds. It's pretty impressive how well it has aged.

Leica rangefinder

There's probably others but those are some of the items that come to mind.

Not the sexiest binos. I used the same pair of Steiner Military/Marine 8x30 binos for 25 years until they were stolen this year. Convincing MRS that I need 12x42 NL Pures to replace them has been a challenge.

I had them re-armored once and the center pivot pin replaced on the lifetime warranty. Damn near bombproof.

Also, a pair of wool bibs from the good ol Cabelas days. They're the ones with windshear (poor man's gore tex). Finally got threadbare in the 'cheeks' after a good 20 plus years of hard use
And a Filson Mackinaw Waistcoat ...the red/black plaid double layered one...at least 25 years. Looks brand new because it has rarely been cold enough to wear.
Can't find the bibs anymore Ken, I've tried to find them used.
I remember going into Cabela's a few years back looking for these. Walked out with Columbia fleece snow bibs and jacket. Used them hard for about 5 years until I bought Sitka a couple years ago. Liked everything about these except they smell like motor oil when they get wet.

They are still hanging on the inside of the walk-in door in great shape. They would not have made it 10 years on account of the friction my big assed legs create in the nethers.

Cabelas Wooltimate coat and Outfitter pants -- These are at least 10 years old and look new. They don't get daily abuse but when it's cold I'm usually wearing 1 or the other.
Cabelas P.I.T. Jacket -- Again well over 10 years old. Warm and waterproof. This is a duck coat that is much too heavy for walking but it is a fantastic coat. Used probably 30 days a year
Coleman propane stove -- Purchased in 1998 or 1999. Annual use and abuse most of the year.
Marmot Helium 15 degree --- worked great but has lost some of its R value. I just cleaned it and donated it to the local Women's Resource Center.

Hornady L-N-L progressive press -- works well however I am just now having issues with it not wanting to priming station. Might have to try their warranty department

Marmot Helium sleeping bag - 2012
MSR pocket rocket - 2012
Outdoor research puffy - 2013
Sitka downpour rain jacket - 2013
SG Sky 5100 -2013
Steiner Hunters - 2013
Sitka Ascent pants -2012

The ascent pants mostly get used for turkey and the downpour for whitetail, but the rest pretty go on every hunt.

Honorable mention Schnee’s beartooth - 2015, resoled a couple years ago.

Not used much anymore but an epic piece of equipment my parents VE-24 tent from 1979. Thing still works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got a pile of Sitka stuff I’ve purchased over the years that is still in use. A 90% jacket I bought in 2008 and couple pairs of pants from 2009 or 10? Lots of other mid layers and base layers the same age I still use all the time. I’m basically trying to wear them out at this point. I still use my mystery ranch crew cab and nice frame for training hikes and having in my truck in the fall as a loaner pack. I bought it in 2008

It's unfortunate that a lot of the stuff that's made it 10 years is stuff I don't really like anymore.

For the stuff I do like:
-Whisperlite (aka SHOUTHEAVY)
-Coleman camp stove, 3 burner (Guide model)
-Cabelas Guide 6p Dome Tent
-Thermarest classics (from the 80s), kids still use it.
-Northface 550 down jacket (with lots of duck tape patches)
-Scarpa Charmoz boots, 10 yrs this year, relegated to just basalt talus chukar trips but still pretty longevity.
-Xtra tuff rain boots, I swear you can't wear them out. Not possible.
-Pataguch fleece jacket, warm and still looks good

I think the rest of my decent equip is all between 5-10 yrs. All my backpacking gear is being slowly replaced with lighter versions.

Still using my Gregory pack that I bought used in college.... let's just say that makes it well over 10 years old. I'm ready to replace it but it just won't wear out

Patagonia McMurdo down jacket. Not sure how much over 10 years it is but I'll buy another when it comes time. One of the best jackets I've ever owned

Opinel knife. Bought it before the Gregory pack.

Schnees Beartooth circa 2008. Wore them really hard for 15 seasons and then the laces wore a hole in the tongue so they are no longer waterproof. Still my favorite pair of boots to wear.

Buck Knife 118. I have a boat load of knives I have accumulated over the years, but this one is still my overall favorite (the Gerber EBS RN comes in 2nd). My dad gave me the buck when I turned 12 over 40 years ago. It fell off my belt one time and I backtracked myself on hands and knees across a plowed field to find it.

Sitka 90% Jacket. Love it. Just keeps on ticking.

Filson Tin Cloth chaps. They are wearing out from the bottom up. One look at them and people laugh at me, but they have been through some stuff in their life!

Alaska Guide Creations Bino harness. Dont know for sure if it is 10 years, but it might even be more than 10. No wear, just works. Probably should wash it!

Cabelas Upland Hunting vest. Probably bought 25 years ago. It is wore out. Lots of use. Have tried about 4 since then and none measure up. Today I wore it again, but it is wore out.

Cutco fixed blade serrated knife has seen the insides of many many critters.
AGC bino harness is on year 10, I believe.
Dad bought my brother and I each a Cabela's wool sweater with windstopper when we were just pups. Wore it for darn near everything for a while. That's going on 20 years.
Cabela's berber fleece hoody.
Black Columbia 1/4 zip fleece has been a mainstay for about 15 years.
Coleman camp stove.
Me and some buddies bought a Montana Canvas wall tent from one of the dad's about 10 years ago, but the tent itself is from the 90's. Needs a couple patches on some rips.
Stoney Point shooting sticks

Lets see...

Had a kelty tent since college. Survived those years somehow and kept going. Finally retired it last year at almost 20 years old. Heavy but solid.

Wish cabelas still made them, but ive worn the same pair of goretex insulated upland pants for over 20 years. Still got em. They have some barb wire tears and the dwr is gone, but they havent failed me yet.

Have some cabelas gators that are also 20 years old and counting. Those and my pants have busted brush for pheasant in the dakotas since I was young. Not quiet, but tough and waterproof.

I have a leather game hanger from when my dad was a kid in the 60's. He may have gotten it before that.

In around 5 years my main big game hunting kit that has largely gone unchanged should have a lot that makes the list. Most of it looks new and is well taken care of.

Oh my god I can participate in this thread!

A box turkey call. My dad bought it in the 90’s. Has a worn out rubber band around it and a drilled hole for chalk. Two different pitch sounds that it can make. I’ve used that box call and had toms respond to me. Even this year.

I’ll never replace it.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back