Caribou Gear

'07 Tunda - let's hear your reviews and feedback or warnings

Elkoholic

Subject: '07 Tundra SR5 Double cab 4x4 4.7L V8, immaculate condition inside/out, 80k miles.

A good buddy of mine owns this truck, he's going to sell it but I have first dibs on it. He picked this up last year from the original owner, 80yr old guy with 70k miles on it, always garage kept. It was in immaculate condition then and is same today.

I'd like to hear anyone's feedback, review's, experiences or warnings with this specific model year Tundra. Of course I've been doing some on-line research but would like to hear any reviews from the trusted HT crew.

Thanks in advance.
-Dave.

Don’t buy it unless you really like it! You’ll get sick of it long before it breaks. 😄

I have a 2007 Sequoia with the same 4.7 and it has 240,000 miles with minimal basic maintenance. You will be due for a timing belt/water pump at 90k but I didn’t do mine until twice that.

Good luck with your decision.

-Eliot

Buy it for the 4.7 alone, that motor with 80k hasn't even been broke in yet. I've got 200,000 on mine, it has zero hesitation, doesn't have any leaks, and always passed emissions.

The first gen tundras, I wouldn't consider a true half ton, and the springs in the back end can be a little light. All that can be remedied with either a full set of new leafs or a simple leaf added.... Or you can just spend the money and get airbags.

My buddy in Alaska I believe has almost 300,000 on his, all summer long he's taking trips up the Haul Road to the Arctic with it overloaded.

Sold that same model to a friend of ours. Just turned 150K last week. Water pump, timing belt/chain(can't remember) replaced at recommended interval, otherwise just normal stuff; batteries, brake pads, etc. I think he did replace the shocks as well. Should go another 150K easy.

I second the advice to check the frame. Make sure that it is solid before you buy it.

Do the 90K mile service for the timing belt/water pump and that motor will serve you well. My '05 4RNR had the 4.7L V8 too. Loved it. Lost it in a wreck or I'd still be driving it.

The plastics (interior) will get brittle and more likely to breakage with time/age. Some parts will be 'unavailable' with age as Toyota drops support over time. Those are just the hazards of owning a vehicle that will run and be reliable for extended time.

I had to do an expensive AC repair as it failed at 11-12 years of service. Toyota still had the parts, but my whole dash had to come out to get at it. I had my dealer do it, as it was so 'involved' and it was my primary vehicle at the time.

Buy it right, follow the service schedule and you'll love it... 🤔👍

Bought my 08 with 80k from a retired lady, garadge kept. Mine has the 5.7. The thing still runs like new with 170k. Changed the water pump and that’s it so far other than routine maintenance.

Sure it isn't an 06 DC with the 4.7? I didn't think they made the 07 with the 4.7. If you don't buy it, my Dad is in Indiana and he will buy it in a heartbeat.

I love my tundra.

I'll echo checking the frame. Doesn't matter if it was well taken care of, if it was parked in a garage with salt on it, you'll know it. I wish they would do away with the salt. It's so destructive to vehicles.

I have a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 and have 110,000 on it. Replaced the timing belt/chain & water pump. I bought it in 2010 with 60,000 on the clock. I would think the 4.7 would be a little gutless.

I'll echo checking the frame. Doesn't matter if it was well taken care of, if it was parked in a garage with salt on it, you'll know it. I wish they would do away with the salt. It's so destructive to vehicles.
Just another reason to move west ;)

Sure it isn't an 06 DC with the 4.7? I didn't think they made the 07 with the 4.7. If you don't buy it, my Dad is in Indiana and he will buy it in a heartbeat.

I love my tundra.
I think they ran the 4.7 as the smaller V8 through 2009 and in 2010 introduced the 4.6.

The 4.7 will be a little underwhelming in that truck power wise, but it’ll last forever. I’ve owned several 1st gen tundras with that motor and had zero issues. You should buy it if the price is right.

I'd be buying that in a heartbeat as long as it isn't rusted, IMO the best size truck for general outdoors use made, I have multiple friends with over 350K on that generation Tundra.
the only downside of buying one with 80K on it is that it's going to be a very long time until you need to replace it.

It'll be a great truck. I gave my 2005 4runner with the 4.7L to my dad with 303k miles on it. I quit changing the oil sometime during the Obama administration. I'm starting to suspect that they're invincible.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back