'05 ?

Moosie wrote above...

We're going to be in Bigger tents with Stoves that can Dry out stuff a little so we'll see
Hmmm...

Moosie, I seem to recall that a certain very wise person wrote this little note to you BEFORE you left...

As I mentioned at Marshalls website, you NEED to take a shelter you can set up besides your tents. You mentioned tarps, and they're always great to have along. Just call your transporter, and make sure there's enough trees to hold up them up. If you go too far north, there are no trees, and not much for brush...

...I decided that in the future I'd have a shelter where I could build a nice small fire under a cover. Otherwise, it's darn near impossible to dry out soaked gear in a tent.
..hoping to help you, and more importantly, your father stay dry. :D :D :D I just know you were thinking I was being a 'pink arsed city boy' when I recommended the shelter. ;)

Say! At the time, weight was a critical issue to you, as you had been given a limit by the air taxi operator. What happened with that? Did he actually weigh your stuff? Did you leave stuff back?

I'm thinking a list of stuff you DIDN'T use would be very helpful to everyone here. Have you ever made a list of that stuff?

Man, it's fun saying 'told ya so'.

FWIW, my taxidermist shipped the head mount of my moose from Wasilla, Ak to Portland, Or..the cost was around $500.

dave

Dan...Save yourself a few $$$ and don't buy tags for everything,,

Alaska has a REALLY COOL regulation that allows you to put a tag on anything of equal or lesser $$ value...That means you can put a $425 moose tag on a $325 caribou, or a $225 black bear, or a $150 wolverine, or whatever...

You'll probably have a tag available if you should get a shot at a wolverine(rare) or a black bear( less rare)...Shots at wolves are becoming more common because the state is becoming overrun with the damn things, but wolf tags are CHEAP because of this...

The point is, most likely, you'll fill your caribou tags ( 1 or 2 depending on the unit) then the moose tags...then the black bear, then the wolf...Wolverine is a remote possibility...If you want one and SEE one, shoot it and put whatever tag you have left on it..For nearly any float trip, buying moose and caribou tags will be plenty...Go ahead and buy a wolf tag as they are cheap...

"Dan...Save yourself a few $$$ and don't buy tags for everything,,"

Do that or Buy extra BOU tags... I'm getting Mixed Feelings from your Posts bud :D :D

Moosie,

The wall tents sound nice and comfy but I'm thinking I'd want to bring a tent to spike camp. My reasoning is that I'd imagine the good hunting is at early morning and evening.

I don't think I'd feel real good about jetting up a river in the dark......that's an accident waiting to happen.

I'd think jetting up and spike camping for 2-3 days sounds just right.

The deposit was mailed today.

Tyson.... Our Wall tent "IS" the Spike camp. We're going up the Banks umteen Billion Miles and getting put in a Tent. But Bring Along a Tent. I'm willing to go as far as you can :D :D

Oscar, I'm beginning to think that you ripped those awesome expensive waders I had :D . Atleast they kept you dry on the plane ride out ;)

I'm doing a float hunt next year and I am getting some newer better waders lol.

Just so the air is clear I did not let oscar use my waders knowing they were in bad condition. I used them prior to his using them and I stayed dry.

You guys are funny. I'm spending around 5 grand on this hunt, and you guys are trying to save me $150.

Moosie, the reason I won't buy extra bou tags is becasue I won't be able to float them out. The bear, wolf and wolverine are just skinned hides and don't weigh much. I know I won't kill everything, but why go all the way up on a once in a lifetime hunt and skimp on a couple of hundred dollars. I'd rather have them and not need them, then need them and not have them.

HERE we go....Dunno what went wrong before...SORRY 'bout that...

Actually, what I wanted to say when the above incomplete post occurred, was that I admire your attitude and your enthusiasm...

In five trips, I have had one shot at a wolf, a 400 yard poke at a moving target with my .338... SCARED hell out of him, but didn't hurt him.. He was a white one, too.... On my last hunt I THOUGHT I was going to get a shot at a couple different wolves, but neither one developed...The wind changed once and screwed me out of a 100 yard shot and a little rise in the tundra did me out of another...Oh well...One of my partners did get two good shots, both running shots at about 100 yards broadside and missed them both...

Chances at wolverines are rare..Most Alaska residents have never had a chance at one...I actually had one IN MY CROSSHAIRS at 100 yards and did not shoot...I've KICKED myself for it ever since... The reason I hesitated was because my partner REALLY REALLY wanted to kill a wolverine, so I held off while he got in position to take the shot...Of course, by the time he was ready to shoot the skunk bear was gone..I should shot the SOB when I had the chance... It was beauty, too...A black one with a white diamond on his chest...

Gents,
The way to save money on shipping meat, hides and antlers is to become a certified shipper.

I was about to post the details but I lost my info packet. Standby and I will post as soon as find it again. Basically, being certified allows you to ship at wholesale. Anyone who is not a convicted felon can do it. If I recall, the fee is cheap.

If anyone else is smart on this please post.

ErikAK, I think Ovis was talking about that before in a different post. I think the Proccess takes 6-9 months or something. We're looking into it real soon to see. thanx for the Heads up though. I'm not sure if it was the same that you are talking about ?

You guys are making me jealous.
I've been to AK three times in the last eight years, and kind of bummed out I don't have a hunt set up there for this fall.
Killed dall sheep, moose, black bear, caribou & wolf. Had a great time every trip. I always went guided, and will do so again when I can.

My daughter starts college next fall, so funds will likely be tight for a couple years. Think my next trip will be a drop camp for caribou, black bear, wolf & wolverine. Can probably pull one of those off for about $4 - 5000 door to door, minus taxidermy.

I think we all tend to take way too much stuff on these hunts. Go light and stick with good quality clothing, gear and the necessities. I wouldn't skimp on tags either. Would be a shame to have a whack at something and not have proper tags.

Good luck !

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back