Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Yesterday's walk...

ELKCHSR

I should start this off with the fact that I didn't add any fiction into it... ;)

Yesterday started out as any other day would, the sun was out with a few clouds in the sky. I got a hold of my buddy, dragging out the dirt bike we headed up the mountain. Working around the first gate and barely able to slide the bike under the second gate, we pushed our way to the road where I would jump off and hike the rest of the way. I am really glad they have both of the gates in place; it keeps so many more people out of this area.

Ditching the bike in a good hiding spot and setting a coordinate with the GPS, my buddy and I started our trek up the side of the mountain. It was fairly easy going thru the rocks and small trees; (this area at one time was totally clear-cut and the trees used to make charcoal for the nearby smelter, by the evidence of the stumps around. But to the casual observer, the little nuances would have been missed and this area would look to them as it had for hundreds if not thousands of years).

We made it up thru the rocks and timber and this slowly turned to snow. We had been hiking for a couple hours when we had to finally make the rest of the assent thru snow that when you fell thru would come right up to your pockets. Some times it would be hard enough that one could walk on top, every once in a while falling thru to your waist.

After what seemed to be hours, we finally broke thru the snow and got into the windswept openness that would soon turn into the top of the hill. The wind spirits were blowing so hard that if one lost their balance up here, it would surly knock you down. Another grueling mile and the summit was made, the wind now was gale force and if you weren’t paying attention, it would knock you over for spite. We walked around on the top, looking over the edge to see two lakes hidden from view from every thing except a map. They were still frozen over.

Looking into the distance, the snow was gone for as far as the eye could see for the most part. All of the South, East, and West facing slopes were pretty much devoid of any snow. I thought to myself that this might yet be a very good year for fire for this whole region. The snowmelt is a month ahead of schedule and there is no way I should have walked up this far up the mountain with out snow shoes, but here I was, looking out at all the great wonders the Creator had laid out in front of me. The wonder and splendor of it all was some thing to behold.

The wind had cut into me for over two hours and my arms, hands, and legs were becoming num and I should be getting off this natural splendor before too much longer. I had already figured we’d be walking out in the dark No worry, I had a flashlight and it wouldn’t be the first time I had traveled thru treacherous ground before in total darkness.

Trudging thru the snow, I accidentally stepped thru the snow and hyper extended my darn knee. All well, worse has happened and I am still here skipping thru life. I went another mile and a half thru the snow, stopped, took a couple Ibuprofen and took off again. I had not drunk more than a couple swallows of water; I am working on conditioning where you cut down on your liquid and food intake. My mouth was getting pretty dry, but we pushed on finally breaking out of the deep snow and into the rocks again.

It was pretty much dark when I finally came into the area that I knew my dirt bike was. I am very glad I put a GPS setting on it. These timber and rock forests can all look the same, especially in the dark. The moon was just coming up and by the time I turned out onto the dirt road to head down the mountain, it was up full and shiny, smiling down on my buddy and I as we cruised off the mountain and crossed the last fence.

Loading every thing up and getting home, the clock read 2145 I had made it out just long enough to jump on HT, put up a few posts, and then get on dinner just before the wifey walked into the house. I took almost a role of film while on this last journey, and will post it as soon as I get it developed…

Sounds like a nice day had Russ, thanks for sharing it with us. Take care of that knee and keep them liquids in you especially water. Ever have a kidney stone?? Well I have and they say they can be from being dehydrated. Not enough water. I am sold on water intake believe me as I don't want to go through that again! :eek: Looking forward to the pics

I have 8 more on the role and then I will be in having them devoloped, and no holes had to be dug in the making of this film.... :eek: :D

Maybe tomorrow I will go around and shoot up the rest of it. I can't wait until I can get an digital camera, I have been given the go ahead to buy one, as long as it doesn't hit more than around the $200 mark. It has to be compact, metal case, and still take good pics. I am waiting for one such little beast that they have ordered for me. Then I don't have to wait to see what the heck I took...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back