Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming - Wilderness area distinction

Goatshoes

Wyoming-

Aside from the rule that requires NR hunters to be accompanied by a guide or resident, what distinguishes Wilderness areas from non-wilderness areas? I imagine that there is something more than just decree and line on a map.

Secondly, how is the rule of "accompanied" by a resident defined?
If I, a NR hunter, am accompanied by my Wyoming resident uncle, does he need to be holding my hand, within 100 yards of me, a mile of me, or back at camp?

Thanks,
Steve

Federally designated wilderness pretty much is just a defined area on a map. As for your uncle, I’m pretty sure you being up on the mountain and him a mile away or back in camp wouldn’t fly. I’m sure some of the WY folks can chime in more specifically. I believe he’d also have to have some sort of paperwork from the state proclaiming he’s going to be “guiding” you. Anyone that knows more about it than me feel free to correct me as I’m just stating my current understanding.

Wyoming-

Aside from the rule that requires NR hunters to be accompanied by a guide or resident, what distinguishes Wilderness areas from non-wilderness areas? I imagine that there is something more than just decree and line on a map.

Secondly, how is the rule of "accompanied" by a resident defined?
If I, a NR hunter, am accompanied by my Wyoming resident uncle, does he need to be holding my hand, within 100 yards of me, a mile of me, or back at camp?

Thanks,
Steve

Wilderness areas were created by acts of Congress and the boundaries were delineated when the areas were created.

Being "accompanied" by a resident is not defined by a certain distance, but:

In camp - NO
Holding your hand -NO (don't need to be that close, unless you would be more comfortable that way)
A mile - that may be a stretch
100 yards - that works!

The resident is required to have a big game license and a free permit that can be obtained from a game and fish office.

ClearCreek

Last edited:
Wyoming-

Wilderness is a little like private land to a DIY nonresident - it is where all the monster bulls, bucks, and rams hang out taunting you through your spotting scope. :)

Thanks guys. Its just good to know rules. I prefer to hunt in such a manner that I never have to look over my shoulder.

So no difference in the wilderness areas? Are there just as many roads, trails development as in National Forrest?

Thanks guys. Its just good to know rules. I prefer to hunt in such a manner that I never have to look over my shoulder.

So no difference in the wilderness areas? Are there just as many roads, trails development as in National Forrest?

Wilderness areas have different rules and regulations when compared to non-wilderness areas. There are no roads in designated wilderness areas, or there are not supposed to be. Motorized vehicles are not allowed in designated wilderness areas, travel is by foot or horseback.

ClearCreek

Wilderness areas have different rules and regulations when compared to non-wilderness areas. There are no roads in designated wilderness areas, or there are not supposed to be. Motorized vehicles are not allowed in designated wilderness areas, travel is by foot or horseback.

ClearCreek

To add to clear creek, nothing with wheels is legal in wilderness either. No bikes, no game carts.

Perfect! Thanks guys.

My brother lives in Casper. He has a prosthetic leg which makes walking on uneven terrain tough. I was hoping he could be my "guide". But I was thinking there would be roads for him to walk. Are there at least some foot trails in and out of those Wilderness areas? His father in law lives there as well and has elk hunted......i may need to tap that resource.

Wilderness is a little like private land to a DIY nonresident - it is where all the monster bulls, bucks, and rams hang out taunting you through your spotting scope. :)

Ive always thought a funny way to deal with this bullshit rule would be for wilderness areas in every other state to be off limits to Wyoming hunters. Similar to how trapping laws work.

Strange to me that that I can hunt in Idaho across the boarder from “Wilderness” area that I’m not allowed in. Always heard that the law was pushed by outfitters to limit NR access to prime areas.

Strange to me that that I can hunt in Idaho across the boarder from “Wilderness” area that I’m not allowed in. Always heard that the law was pushed by outfitters to limit NR access to prime areas.

BuzzH could give us the full history, but that is my understanding as well.

Outfitters probably had some say in the creation of this law, I don't know the exact history of it, maybe someone else could clarify this for me? But I would also say, it is a convenient way for the WYGFD to provide excellent hunting opportunities for the residents of the state. As a Wyoming resident I enjoy having areas to go to that provide a hunting experience with far less hunting pressure. Is this selfish? Maybe, but I wouldn't begrudge other states if they adopted similar legislation to protect the hunting experiences of their own residents. Also, Wyoming is one of the most generous states in the west for providing tags to non-residents. Are these opportunities in the supposed 'glory' wilderness units? No, but I would argue there are multiple units in the state that can provide similar, if not better, experiences.

Ive always thought a funny way to deal with this bullshit rule would be for wilderness areas in every other state to be off limits to Wyoming hunters. Similar to how trapping laws work.
You would find out quickly that there are a lot more NR' who come to WY to hunt wilderness than there are WY R's who go to hunt wilderness in other states.

Due to the number of CO hunters that come to WY to hunt I would like to see an additional fee added for residents of CO tags and application fees to offset the hunting trade deficit at the border. Colorado, Wyomings Mexico.

You would find out quickly that there are a lot more NR' who come to WY to hunt wilderness than there are WY R's who go to hunt wilderness in other states.

Due to the number of CO hunters that come to WY to hunt I would like to see an additional fee added for residents of CO tags and application fees to offset the hunting trade deficit at the border. Colorado, Wyomings Mexico.

Lol, we’ve been trying to figure out how to deal with all the people from California for years if you figure out how we deal with that I’ll agree to pay whatever you want for elk hunting.

Not even close, it’s certainly not the worst, NZ, WA, and NM buts it’s not in the top for NR tag allocation. #1 is CO then MT and ID.
Yes it is, what you are saying is not accurate. CO sells a lot of OTC elk tags (which only hurts resident hunting opportunities) but WY for example does not distinguish in the leftover draw so NR's end up with a much higher % of tags in some units compared to other states. Especially for less desirable doe and cow tags.

This is a numbers game.

Colorado has 6 million residents to try to satisfy and so far they have been screwed by OTC elk tags and transferable landowner tags which all cost resident hunters opportunity.

Wyoming only has 500k resident hunters to satisfy and everything else goes to NR's.

Colorado likely sells more NR bull elk tags than any other state, but overall tag numbers in states like WY are also very generous for NR hunters. That's why so many CO folks head to WY to hunt, fish, hike, snowmobile, etc...

Lol, we’ve been trying to figure out how to deal with all the people from California for years if you figure out how we deal with that I’ll agree to pay whatever you want for elk hunting.
That's the issue. Everyone in Californa and Texas comes to Colorado on vacation, so everybody in Colorado goes to Wyoming, and we are left screwed and cant even get a camping spot at Glendo, Gowdy, etc... due to all the green plates.

Been watching green plates go by with snowmobiles all winter, do yall not have snowmobile trails in Colorado? I mean I get the folks from Iowa who come out here but the CO folks drive by mountains to get to our mountains. Must be some reason.

Back