Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming Unit 100 herd looking good

homerj

I was out riding in Unit 100 last weekend and was surprised to see so many elk in the desert given the high temps. I saw a bachelor herd of about 15 with at least 2 good sized bulls and a cow herd of about 20. Does anyone here hunt this area? It seems like the rolling hills and lack of high ground vantage points require a completely different strategies than those of us who hunt in the mountains.

Most of us sure wish we could hunt it. It's a sought after tag in Wyoming.
It's always very interesting to see those big bulls out in the desert.
How did the range look? Pretty dry or some water about?

This was my first time up there so I don't have a frame of reference to compare with, but the browse and grass by the Lost Creek sandwash and where it crosses BLM 3210 looked pretty good. Most of the reservoirs had water, Bush Creek also still had water.

Probably one of the coolest areas I’ve had the pleasure to explore some. You could spend a lifetime in that area and not see it all

I hunted it in 2012. It was very disappointing. It took 7 days to even see an antler, a small 5x5 and a couple of raghorns. There was a drought that year. They may have headed for the Sweetwater or the Wind River range. I found a very nice non-alkali spring that barely had any sign. Maybe they have come back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back