PEAX Equipment

Wyoming App Question

KayakMacGyver

As a Floridian with just a couple years of applying for Western hunts under his belt, I'm still relatively green to all of this and could use some help answering a question.

I'm applying for a general elk tag for both my wife and I (as individuals). I have 2 points, she has 1. In the regular draw, we aren't guaranteed to draw, but there is a chance. I'm considering going into the special pool, but haven't decided for sure just yet.

I'm getting hung up on the second choice. I would like to apply for a cow/calf tag as a second choice option, but I'd like to know if it's even possible to draw that as a second choice. Using the example below, in my case where I have 2 points, if my number is pulled I would think that I'm going to draw the general tag (as a Non-Res in the regular draw odds were around 40% last year), so my 2nd choice is not really a consideration if the odds are tougher than the general tag. Same with my wife who would have had about 14% odds with 1 point in the regular draw.

Below is an example of stats on cow/calf tag. If I understand correctly, it's highly unlikely (if not impossible) that I'd pull this as a 2nd choice.

Finally, and I'm sorry if this information is readily available on the WY F&G website, I didn't notice it when reading through regs, but does applying for a cow/calf as first choice affect my preference points?

Nonresident Cow/Calf Random Draw
Hunt Type: 6
Total Quota: 16
First Choice Applicants: 170
Second Choice Applicants: 33
Third Choice Applicants: 0

Please, someone school me. Thank you!

Only drawing your 1st choice in the full price draw will affect your points.

The type 6 tag will be a totally separate application. If you want to pay full price, there are Type 4 cow tags that you can draw 2nd choice on your full-price app.

You'll also need to decide if you want to do a party app with your wife or submit separate apps.

To maximize your odds of drawing at least one tag between you, you could both apply separately for full price and reduced price tags, you could draw anywhere between 0-4 tags.

Thank you LCH! Hadn't gone in to look at the application worksheets yet, so I didn't realize that they were separate. Thank you for answering my dumb questions, while answer may be obvious I'm up to my neck in this western stuff now (in a good way!) And trying to keep track of all the intricacies of each state is a little mind boggling.

As far as your strategy to maximize our chances, that's a solid rec and I'll definitely be doing that. Planned to do that for our general app as well.

Thanks again!!

Reactions: LCH
Yep, you'll want to apply for a reduced price cow tag. They are a separate drawing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back