Would you?

It all depends. I've been shooting my current set up for the last couple of years (Different poundages and arrows) and shoot great with it. Why mess with success? On the other hand I do want to upgrade my bow, and if mine did break to the point of being unshootable and needing to be replaced I would hunt with another bow the next day. Other than that I'd hunt with the one I have and shoot the other one more frequently till I'm comfortable with it and get everything set to my perfection. Once I've grown comfortable shooting it and have confience in it I'd hunt with it.

Yep!!
I would though take a couple forty five yard shots, just to see how hard it's hitting, and to see wha the drop is at the longer yardage.. :D

I need more info :D
Is this a person that has shot a bow before?
Or new to the whole bow shooting?
I know I was not ready to hunt after one day when I just got my bow.
Now that I have shot ,I might take a new bow out the next day if I had time to shoot target's and knew it was set up right.
One of the beggest complants we hear around hunting time is how someone goes out and buys a bow (or rifle) then doesnt take the time to really get to know how to shoot it.
Im not sure about Xbow's but from the little I know about compound bow's it can take awhile to set them up and start shooting good.
Steve,bought a new bow,even though it was the same kind it still took some time at the range before he felt good with it.

I think it's just like any thing else. If you get some thing that just fits well, there is no need to really worry about to much break in practice. But if you get one of those items that arn't set up just right. It takes awhile to get it into the mode of where you need or want it...Just like a pair of boots....The pair I love to wear right now, fit perfect from the get go. I've had boots that took weeks to finally get broke in also... :D :D :D

Given that the hunter is a competent hunter, I see no problem with taking a new bow afield. We read all the time in hunting magazines how these gun-hacks go on high dollar outfitted hunted sponsored by folks like Leupold, Remington, or Federal and often times they're given brand new rifles to use. As long as you've shot the weapon previously and are comfortable with what it will and won't do, I see no problem with it.

If I take a new rifle, mount a scope, and proceed to a group of five abou the size of a quarter, I'm likely to take that rifle afield...

It was me that got the bow. I got a used one completely set up with the arrows already tuned for the bow. I didn't even have to adjust the pins. I did take it out when I had one of the boys with me. But he was the main hunter on that trip and I didnt want to get into trouble because I was after turkeys mainly and I like to have something lethal on me LOL.(The boy was after deer) I left the bow on the ground beside me while concentrating on him.

I shot it a few more times to get more comfortable with the bow. I used the mechanical release that came with the bow. I am getting rid of that release and going back to my old one. Will be shooting it a few more times before I am 100% confident with the bow and set up. So I will use a crossbow "if" I hunt alone until then. ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back