Would you guys use this site??

once it is fully up and running it will be a great site if you are looking for a great meat hunt in montana. some nice bucks and bulls will come out of this too. its a great way for hunters to find low pressure land to hunt...

seems like a pretty good idea to me. Not really sure how well it'll work though because the way I see it most guys that are going to find a website like that aren't going to the people that really want to go shoot a bunch of does. I hunt a ranch that could really use a bunch of doe thinning. We all kill a few does every year on it, but that hardly puts a dent in them, might suggest something like this to the landowner.

I'm pretty sure its been around for 4-5 years.

Why don't the ranchers just sign up for Block Management? They can still dictate what gets hunted can't they?

Block seems like battle hunting to me. The main question is if this guy running this site is making money on it? I went to sign up for it and it said that they were getting ranchers first and then they will sign up hunters. But isn't this like doing a self guided hunt?

They still haven't got it up and running yet? They sent me about 10 emails about it 4-5 years ago and 2-3 every year since, they were looking for land owners then. I'm wondering if its just a scam to find places to hunt?

I really don't think most ranchers have much trouble finding people to hunt on their place, usually its the other way around.

I agree block managment can be combat hunting, but so what. I love how hunters want everything to be thier way... ranchers let them on for free, but then they expect the ranchers to set up a 'quality hunting experience' for them too? I keep waiting for the Forest Service to offer guided hunts for free. I'm sure its just a matter of time. Hunters are already demanding that states give out more tags to NR who can hunt on federal land... The 'me, me, me' attitude gets old.

I've said this a hundred times. Hunters are the most selfish people on the planet, maybe next to drug addicts. We all feel that everything should be handed to us for free, and we're deserving of most things we're not. From tag prices, LO access, Public access, quality hunting experiences, trophy animals, etc. Sure there are a few guys that are willing to work for what they get, but by and large most hunters want it all with no investment.

I would not use that site. Are we finally to the point that we can by pass the face to face interaction and 'work' required to find a place to hunt?

I guess it takes away the fear associated with rejection.

I wouldn't use it.

BMA aren't always over pressured. There's some real good ones.

I hope it's a cold day in hell before I have to use a web-site to find a place to hunt anterless big game in Montana.

Seems like a scam to me. There is no guarantee that you will get any ranchers calling you. You pay your money and hope somebody picks you.

For free you can post on Craigslist looking for a place to hunt. Seems to be quite a few postings already on Montana Craigslist of guys wanting a place to hunt.

Hello, I'm Carl Lee, the owner of Doecowhunt.com.

I found this website by checking which refering site sent almost 50 hits to the DCH website. Thanks to those who checked it out! As some of you are aware there was a website called DoeCowHunt.montana.edu that was run by the Wildlife Extension Service at MSU. That is the old site that went by the wayside in 2006 when the student running it as a project graduated.

While looking for a ranch in region 3 to fill my A9 cow tag this past fall, I searched for the old website and found it abandoned. Short story is that I decided to revive it as a private business since there was a demand for it among hunters with 6000 hunter participants. Unfortunately lack of time and funds for landowner recruitment led to only 18 landowners signing up. Most Montana landowners have never even heard about the MSU website.

Game damage is a big issue with ranchers throughout Montana and many of those landowners would like to get more harvest of does on their properties. I have spoken to several BMA participators who don't get enough hunters! That was shocking to me. This service will allow landowners having these problems to invite hunters to come and harvest does from their lands.

Yes, it costs 5 dollars to purchase a listing on the website. Yes, you are competing against others to be chosen. But, you WILL be able to view the number of acres enrolled in your hunt region or district and be able to make an informed decision. So far I have over $10,000 dollars invested in the site and advertising to landowners. Somebody has to pay the bills and the only way to make this work is to charge hunters a small fee for a listing in the database. 5 bucks is less than the cost of gas for one unproductive hunting trip within a few miles of home.

I realize that some will be opposed to this idea, and thats OK, don't use it. But there are a large number of hunters who want an easy cropland doe hunt and don't know where to go. We just allow ranchers to invite them to where they are needed. Maybe after you shoot 2 or 3 does you could take a nice buck? Thats totally between you and the rancher. Once you meet through the website you can set up whatever kind of hunt he will allow.

Wow, long post, I'd better call it a day. I would love to hear any and all comments, pro and con.

Thanks, Carl

being an out of stater, have to ask. what is the landowner going to charge if/when he selects someone? and how can an out of stater apply for a permit, or whatever they call them out there, if they don't know where they will be hunting? sounds good, maybe, if you knew for sure someone was going to "pick" you. but this seems like a crap shoot to me. for just a meat hunt, think the public lands would give you just as much of a chance.

Holy crap, I would think a local could find a cow to shoot in region three on public land.

TLC, the website is simply a way for landowners with game damage issues to get more harvest of does and cow elk. That purpose would be defeated by charging for a hunt. I suppose someone will try it though. I am simply a matching service between hunters and landowners. Do you suppose there are any hookers on Match.com? Same thing here, there will be some who try to game the system. I am sure that any hunter who comes up against that will report it and we will relist them in the database and remove the offending landowners listing. As far the price, if you are unwilling to spend 5 bucks to find an underhunted ranch then I just don't know what to say!

Randy11, didn't say that I didn't find a place to hunt, just that I looked for the old website. I wanted to use my tag where it might benefit a rancher. I am 100% pro agriculture and the way the website is setup reflects that.

Thanks for the comments guys, I just launched this in early March so there is time for fine tuning before hunting season. Keep them coming, good, bad and ugly.

Carl

Good luck with it. Sounds like a good idea. At a minimum, I hope you get your invested money out of it, and it's worth your time. $5 is cheap and I can see some folks getting value out of it. Too bad you live in belowgrade though.. you poor thing.

PS. Let me know when you come out with www.buckbullhunt.com :D

dch, never said I wouldn't do it. but as far as spending the money, really no need for me to do that as I have a place of my own that was purchased specifically so I always had a place to hunt here in illinois. and as I asked, how would anyone know what county, region, whatever they are out there, to apply in. or does montana have OTC tags for cow elk and does?

TLC, thanks for the questions. I am not with FWP so you have to take anything I say about licenses with a grain of salt. The 09 regs are not out yet but the answer to your question about over the counter tags is YES there are always leftover tags that can be purchased. Non resident is 75 dollars for the first doe tag and 20 dollars for each additional I think. Elk are through the draw for non res. I purchased my A9 tag over the counter last year, but I am a resident.

I think the non res combo tag is about 1100 dollars this year for elk, deer and upland bird? Like I said, grain of salt there.

Thanks for the kind wishes Greenhorn. Belgrade was about 50 grand cheaper than Bozeman and way better than Butte! As far as bucks and bulls there is no shortage of sites that cater to trophy hunters. I'm not interested.

Come on, some of you other guys that hammered me as a scam. What do you think now? Have I changed your minds? hump

Ya, how are you going to get enough landowners, or how many do you have signed up.
If I put my five bucks in and how many landowners can I talk to? How many drinkin buddies can I bring??
How are you going to get ranches to register on your site? Because on this site it seemed to me that (Big shooter or Cowboy Mama) are the only ones that I can think of that would do this, I think they are the only ones who own land. Do you go out and talk to ranchers or what?
Maybe Nemonts ranch is already registered.

Blue Yummies, you raise some good issues. Landowner sign ups are going to be my biggest challenge. This entire project stands or falls on that issue. I spent 2 days last weekend in Plentywood at the NE MT Farm Expo talking to farmers and ranchers. I would say that 50% were internet illiterate. The rest were very supportive and we will see who signs up. If I cannot get enough landowners interested then there will be no hunters and no revenue to continue. I just launched the site and the first ads hit the ag publications this month.

If I put my five bucks in and how many landowners can I talk to? How many drinkin buddies can I bring??

You don't talk to any landowners, they invite hunters based on what they see in your profile page. If you say you want to bring some "drinking buddies" then I doubt you will get an invite. Please visit the website and read the FAQs.

Carl

Come on, some of you other guys that hammered me as a scam. What do you think now? Have I changed your minds? hump

Lemmme see...... I pay some money, and then, sit and hope that my number gets drawn and I win something. The odds of me winning are directly related to the amount of other gamblers, err.... I mean players, errrr.... I mean hunters. With my odds decreasing as more gamblers, errrr.... I mean hunters sign up.

We already have something in our state that sounds like that, we call it the Lottery. And I would guess our State Attorney General would frown upon a gambling website doing business in our state and competing for gambling money.

And, as for the Prostitute on Match.com, that is a different analogy, as with that there is no game of chance involved, it is a sure thing to get laid... hump

Back