Would I be nuts to try my own wolf?

FullCry,

I saw a wolf that looked EXACTLY like that a couple days ago. It ran across the road when I was driving back from Canada, stopped in the ditch, and stared at us. An awesome, but scary looking animal.

I actually did call the taxidermist to tell him to hold off on the mount. I was going to just pay him for the tanned hide, wait a few years to save some money, and have a taxidermist experienced in wolves do it. When I called him he said he had it half stitched on the form already. While I'm pretty sure this was a lie, I'm 4 hours away and had no way to verify. I told him to just finish it up, and crossed my fingers. I haven't seen the wolf in person yet, but it is displayed in a grocery store in northern Minnesota right now, and I have this picture of it.

It's hard to judge from a picture, as sometimes something that I think looks horrible in a picture looks great in person. To me, the wolf looks okay. Not horrible, but not great. The face looks a lot different than when I saw him in the woods. I think I may need to work a little with a comb to get the hair right. I'm letting him hold on to it until after the wolf season ends this year and then I'll go see it and pick it up. I'm crossing my fingers that I'm pleasantly surprised when I see it in person! If I'm disappointed, I'll just have to try to get myself the white one we've seen a few times, or a black one, and spend a little more money on the mount!

Hard to say from that photo. In your picture above the noggin looks quite a bit bigger than the mount does. When you see him in person I hope it looks like the 117lb behemoth it should. Be sure to share more photos and your thoughts when you pick him up. It sure is a stud of a dog!

I was a little nervous for ya but the wolf actually looks pretty good! If you think you could have done a better job on your first you are lying to yourself. I think you got a good mount for what you paid for. Its all about the form chosen, how it fits and what alterations are made such as more clay here and there to give it life. One of the hardest animals to replicate

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back