Worn out brass

rogerthat

Is there a full proof way to tell when your brass is worn out and affecting your reload accuracy? I know loose primer pockets are an indication. Anything else?

Case stretch. Make sure you are trimming to whatever spec you are using. Something below the max case length in the SAAMI drawing. Less accuracy issues caused if you are using a LFC (Lee Factory Crimp) die, more if you are roll crimping.

Incipient head separation. This is not worn out brass as much as an indicator of headspace issues. It can mean your headspace is in spec, but you are pushing the shoulder back too far when re-sizing.

Mic your rim diameters after re-sizing. It is possible to get case head expansion and still have acceptably tight primer pockets. I would expect to see some ejector/extractor marks with this. One easy check for this is to spin the case in a Hornady shell holder. They are a little tighter than the other makers. I find them to be a good go/no-go gage. Automagic if use the Hornady case trimmer. If the case won't spin free before I close the cam, it goes to the reject bucket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back