PEAX Equipment

Winter bears

NickCNC

Got the approval from the Mrs to go one last time to try for a bear this year. Last day of season is the 26th and I'll be trying to get it done, but I'll need all the insight I can get. I'm in California and I know many bears here skip hibernation all together. I think it's safe to assume that it's the bears in lower elevations that do this, but what kind of habitat would I find these guys in? What are they eating this time of year and how active are they during shooting hours?

This is a difficult time of year to hunt bears here in California. I am a novice bear hunter, but I do spend a fair amount of time out and about looking for them.
I went out this morning looking for a bear to tag. I have found a set of tracks in the week old snow, and figured I’d see where it leads me. It took me into some really thick canyon bottoms where the primary food source was acorns and manzanita berries. I got into the zone where I found several sets of back and forth tracks that the bear was using. I chambered a round and within a few minutes I jumped him out of a bedding area and off he went into the thick scrub oak. It was pretty exciting.
So to answer your question. Look for thick canyon bottoms with food. If possible try glassing into the habitat now that leaves have fallen and snow is on the ground. I wish I could give you better information, but I’m not an expert. Best of luck

Sounds like an exciting encounter. How close were you before he busted ya? Not sure where in CA you are but I'll be in the sierras. Just debating where to go. I'm leaning toward low elevation on the outskirts of Yosemite. Undecided though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back