Wind hold over

freu1chr

I’m from minnesota and we rarely have to deal with shooting long distances and especially in heavy wind. How do you guys figure out what your hold should be at a certain distance with a certain wind? Just trying to figure out some sort of system before missing a good animal because of it.

I look at the ammo box... That will tell you wind drift for your specific bullet.

Here is the federal ammo I shoot:

1637184425174.png

That's for a 10 MPH crosswind. its roughly linear, so at 20mph, you'd double the inches you see.

That's for a straight crosswind, it would be less for a quartering wind for example.

Shoot your specific load over a chronograph, find out the Muzzle Velocity out of your specific rifle. Find out the ballistic coefficient of your bullet, plug all the info into a ballistics calculator like the one I have linked below. Then practice. Practice in the wind, practice at different ranges. If you're not confident in the shot, don't pull the trigger!

Time with the chrono. Then shooting longer distances (600-800 yards) to true velocities/BC.
Enter into Strelok Pro ballistic app.
Lots of range time in all types of weather & wind with a wind meter & flags.
Studious notes!

1-2-5-10-15 sticks in my head. Nothing beats spending a lot of time shooting in the wind for realism though. Easier to stalk closer in a heavy winds as well. Lot of things moving to cover your movement.

Anemometer. Obviously doesn't tell you the wind at the target but it will give you the wind from shooting location. I have a note in my phone i look at every morning to refresh where I need to be if when time to shoot time is to short to look at my note.

Also check out the windy app, it’s a good tool for preparing for what to expect in your hunting spot. Also a good tool to use to understand what 5,10,20,30 mph winds really feel and look like in field conditions. Many people over/under exaggerate wind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back