Winchester SX4 Hybrid finish?

cwitherow

I am looking at upgrading my semiauto 12 gauge. After swinging several in the store, I've settled on a Sx4. I really like the looks of the hybrid in gray/black, but heard about some issues with the finish on the barrel and action. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am looking at upgrading my semiauto 12 gauge. After swinging several in the store, I've settled on a Sx4. I really like the looks of the hybrid in gray/black, but heard about some issues with the finish on the barrel and action. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Dragging up an old thread here...

I'm looking into an sx4 myself, did you end up going that route? Which model/finish?

I don't love the all camo options, but those different finishes they have are tempting to avoid a little rust issue down the road

Dragging up an old thread here...

I'm looking into an sx4 myself, did you end up going that route? Which model/finish?

I don't love the all camo options, but those different finishes they have are tempting to avoid a little rust issue down the road
Yes I did. I got the hybrid finish with the black/grey. 26" 12 gauge. Shoots really soft. No rust issues other than the sling swivels, though that was my own doing. I'd easily recommend one to anyone looking.

Yes I did. I got the hybrid finish with the black/grey. 26" 12 gauge. Shoots really soft. No rust issues other than the sling swivels, though that was my own doing. I'd easily recommend one to anyone looking.
Thanks for the input, think I'll go test out the fit at Scheels when I get a chance

I just ordered mine. Will be here on Friday. I went with the all camo 28" Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Habitat. I've spoken to owners of both this and the hybrids; no negligible difference in wear and tear from one to another. This one is only used for geese/duck hunting. Upland birds I use my Ithaca Model 37 20 or 28 gauge.

588549-14244638.jpg

Last edited:
I just ordered mine. Will be here on Friday. I went with the all camo 28" Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Habitat. I've spoken to owners of both this and the hybrids; no negligible difference in wear and tear from one to another. This one is only used for geese/duck hunting. Upland birds I use my Ithaca Model 37 20 or 28 gauge.

View attachment 298907
I found it local for the attached price, fair in your experience?IMG_3015.jpeg

Just took mine out of the box. Bit of a PITA to get the barrel into the receiver, but it'll go. Very tight fit. Did this assembly/disassembly about 4 times now and it's smoother. Will completely disassemble tomorrow, clean and lube, then it'll be ready to go.

Haven't gone out to test it yet, too cold this morning here. Gun feels good, mounting it my eye seems to mount just a hair high, I'll have to look into how to fix that

IMG_3020.jpegIMG_3021.jpegIMG_3022.jpegIMG_3023.jpeg

Pattern check with 3.5" 2's not much difference, looks like I'll run the tried and true modified
IMG_3027.jpegIMG_3026.jpeg

One negative, the plug is a pain in the butt to remove. If duck is open the plug will stay in. Once it closes for the state I'll pull it out. No mid day changes like with the 870

I bought a new sx4 just like yours, but thought it felt too bulky for me, so I gave it to a son in law. He loves it. Uses it for ducks, geese, and pheasant. He's a good shot too. I also had an sx3, which I gave to a grandson. He also uses it for everything. They are both great gas guns.

I’ve been shooting a Winchester superx2 since they came out. Quality gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back