Caribou Gear Tarp

Winchester Short Magnum NOT based on .348 Winchester

Ken Howell

Just had a long chat with an old pal at Winchester ammo this afternoon (NO, you skeptics, he's NOT a floor-sweeper — he's one of the management wheels!). ¦o)

Asked him about the conjecture out here that Winchester had modified the .348 Winchester case to come up with the new short magnum.

No, he told me, the new short magnum is 100% brand new, designed from scratch, NOT based on any other case. He cited the origin of the rumors — an idle conjecture by a writer-editor whom I happen to know, who gets a lot of things wrong.

My pal is sending me a dimensioned drawing, so I'll be able to provide the authentic, authorized dimensions one of these days.

Ken,

I've noticed that Winchester is only loading the cartridge with 150 and 180 grain bullets initially. Have you heard about any future plans for a 200 grain bullet loading? Or would the velocities not be comparable to .300 WinMag velocities with the heavier bullet?

Ken, I would be very interested to see those. It's my understanding that the cartridge based on the research that Rick Jameson did about 3 years ago when he came up with what he called the Short Fat Thirty. A 404 Jeffrey that has been shortened and had the rim turned down to meet the .532 diameter of the standard belted magnum. I would be curious to see how close that description is.
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by danr55 (edited 02-24-2001).]

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back