Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wife gave me the go for a euro

nhenry

My wife’s always been pretty opposed to deer on the walls, but she’s since come around to preemptively letting me put a euro mount in the living room in case I get a muley next week.

I know how to mount them, but how does everyone clean their skulls?

lots of good videos on YouTube, anymore I skin head, boil until meat falls off. Clean with a soft bristle brush. The tape antlers and disk in a hydrogen peroxide/water mix to whiten skull. I can look at exact mix ration but costs about $7 at dollar general to get the stuff to do it. Pretty simple and cheap

sous vide is nice. boiling is nice. pros cons to each. here are two sous vide threads on this web site, see below.

i just finished a mule buck yesterday.

1669594479323.jpeg

i've been moving towards getting it done sooner, which means it requires more attention at the time and burns more of your time in one go than the set it and forget lower temp sous vide.

this time i did like three rounds of 190-200 degrees in the sous vide for like 1.5 hours at a time. rubber band around the nose after the first sous vide, left that on until done. sous vide broke after the 3rd round and switched over to the camp stove. did two rounds in 50v peroxide and water at like 180 degrees for about an hour each time. antlers wrapped in saran wrap and pipe tape (per wllm). i've never not had to touch up the antler bases with stain tho tbh

it's kinda fun and also super not fun. i have trouble letting other people touch my stuff though and i love saving the money.

Youtube it. There's about a hundred different ways to clean them, pick one that you like and give it a go. The last few I did I defleshed with a sous vide in a cooler, and then used a power washer. Pretty easy.

Salon peroxide once cleaned in sun will bring out the white that looks great.

+1 on power washing interior brain cavity to remove ALL interior residual brain matter. HIGHLY recommend face shield to prevent splash back into mouth. Yes, personal experience🤮

Skull hooker in old barn board with kill photo looks great!
C0EBD52B-11CC-4D67-9F22-A861D273CA65.jpeg

Here's my setup. Simmer (Not boil) for 2-4 hours or as long as you can stand the smell. I had both of these to do this year and by the end of the day I smelled like the steam. Nasty. While simmering, I get all of the big stuff off periodically, as well as use a stiff piece of wire like a coat hangar to get as much of the brains out as possible. Use needle nose pliers to remove nasal and ear cartilage. Afterwards I'll pour a bunch of salt into the brain cavity to help dry it out, then come back with a dremel a few weeks later to grind off everything else that has dried.
Screenshot_20221127-172424.png

Salon peroxide once cleaned in sun will bring out the white that looks great.

+1 on power washing interior brain cavity to remove ALL interior residual brain matter. HIGHLY recommend face shield to prevent splash back into mouth. Yes, personal experience🤮

Skull hooker in old barn board with kill photo looks great!
View attachment 252419
Wow! Those mounts look great. Good idea with the bullet casing and photo. Did you do the barn wood yourself?

Yep, neighbor farmer had an old barn shed laying down from age. Asked if I could take some and Hell yeah! Take as much as you want!😂 Skull Hookers off Camofire usually great deal. Cut the barn wood at 45 degree angled inward to hide cut looks great too.

It’s far easier to make a thread to leave for a bit and have people tell me than digging through the archives if HT and the internet to find the good info lol thanks guys

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back