MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Whitetail response to blinds in open ag fields

s10

Quick question for you all. In years past, I have a very open ag field that deer feed into from joining timber that I don't have permission to hunt. There is quite literally no cover, but it is lights out for the deer to feed into it. Like clockwork. I want to bow hunt it more with a ground blind. In years past, I have not attempted to cover the blind up, and have gotten deer within 80 yards. Do you guys think it spooks deer much if they can see it from a ways off? Generally, they don't seem to mind it in my experience.

They are naturally spooky little rascals, I don’t usually have good luck on mature deer in big open fields. If I have to hunt them like that I leave a couple round bales in locations I know are the best spots and tuck my blind in by them a few days before I hunt that seems to help a ton. It’s a crap shoot to keep them on the field after the shot however so that can be a can of worms. Best of luck

Set the blind up and leave it alone for 3 or 4 days. Don't go near it and then when you do use it, go in at least 2 hours before you would normally hunt. They get used to it not being a threat after a few days.

If a blind is a constant fixture they will eventually get somewhat used to it, just popping it up and sitting in it will spook them. Big mature bucks are always leery of odd things though, even if they’ve been there a while.

Set the blind up and leave it alone for 3 or 4 days. Don't go near it and then when you do use it, go in at least 2 hours before you would normally hunt. They get used to it not being a threat after a few days.
This. All my experience is with Whitetail but they are wary of blinds until they get used to them. Most times, deer will get no closer to a blind than from where they are at when they see it for the first time. They get used to them quickly though. If possible, I’d try to have the blind up a few weeks before you plan to hunt. Stake it and/or tie it down really good. Once they get accustomed to it, they’ll pay it no mine. Strange how whitetail react but elk and turkeys are the exact opposite in my experience.

I use 2 round bales and sandwich a blind between them. Also make sure to have as few windows open as possible and sit as far back in the blind as possible . It’s pretty easy to see in a blind if the sun is shining.
Nailed it, during gun season best blind I've ever used was just squeezing between a few round bales in the fence lines.

Rounds bales are a good option as stated above. If legal, a good set of decoys can help too. It can shift the focus from the blind to the new “deer” in the field.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back