Caribou Gear Tarp

Which headlamp??

Fenix HP25R for a couple years and loved it. Just lost the dang thing, and they discontinued that model. So I just ordered a Fenix HM65R, which means I'll find my HP25R annnnny day now.

I used to use a no-name brand headlamp, with another no-name brand backup. Both failed on me on a hunt, so we got bluffed out and had to tie ourselves to a rock to wait/sleep out the night for 14 hours to safely pick our way down through the cliffs. Ironically, we had given up on finding a poorly hit bull tahr, but the next morning as soon as we started downhill the bull fell down the cliffs, almost hitting us in the process. Worst night of sleep in my life but it ended up being the only reason we recovered that bull!

That was the end of cheap headlamps for me.

Black Diamond Storm 400 is my primary headlamp and on low setting, can run for over 100 hours. Works great.
My backup headlamp is the Petzl Bindi; small, pretty bright and charges via USB cable. Bring 4 extra AAA's for the Storm, and you are good to go for multi-day hunt/all night packouts, etc. (or if your hunting buddy loses his lamp....)

The most important thing is to carry 2 and know exactly where the second one is and be able to access it easily in the dark. Personally, I have 2 black diamond storms but that's just because I lost 1, bought another, then found the 1st one. Wouldn't hesitate to have a Petzl e+lite as my backup. The back-up is just to give me enough light to change the batteries in my primary. Don't overthink it, and thereby overspend. Buy ammo.

Agree. The BEST place to carry a spare battery is inside a spare headlamp.

Back