MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Which dog breed?

What breed for my first hunting dog?

• Total voters
My old man had blues on the farm, swears they were better hunting dogs. More than any other breed anybody would bring out to hunt. He still has blue healers now, sounds like he's gotta put his down this week though.
Sorry to hear that. It is never easy. I have always had blues and reds and they are pretty amazing in what they can do.

I was in your shoes a few years ago when I was trying to decide which breed to choose. At first I was leaning towards a lab, specifically one that was from a hunting line not just any ol' lab. If you can get the right a lab from a good hunting line and want a flushing dog you should be ok.

I ended up getting a Deutsch-Drahthaar. I know lots of folks say DDs and german wirehair pointers are the same but I won't get into that debate right now. My reasoning to pick a DD was that I wanted a versatile dog that points, retrieves and tracks. I also wanted the best chance that the dog had the instincts to do all three and a DD does this. In order for a DD to be breed it has to pass a number of hunting simulation tests to have the litter registered as a DD. The VDD-GNA has multiple chapters and has training days where you can learn from experienced handlers. If you go the DD route I would recommend you plan to test your dog, the advantage being it gives you a forum and goal. By the time you finish testing to the HZP level you'll have a dog that is better trained and capable than most dogs.View attachment 209275
I have thought of going the DD route as well. I don't know alot about them. Any recommendations on where to look for a decent breeder?

I have to ask, what disinclines you towards getting a Lab (note the upper case - Labrador is a proper name)? Labs have been the top selling American Kennel Club breed for like the last thirty years running. There's a reason for that. Great personalities. I am pretty sure there's more Labs hunting than any other breed. The reason for that is they are versatile and easy to train. Hardly any training beyond basic obedience is needed.

The Lab I presently own is a fantastic pointing dog that works very close. I hunted Montana for five weeks again this past fall and though it was a VERY poor year I still managed to shoot quite a few roosters (five daily limits ++). I credit that dog. I live alone and don't know if I'd make it without my dogs (also have a French Brittany).

I suspect you don't want a Lab because that's what everybody has and you'd like to be distinctive. Fine. But you may pay a price for that ... and more than just $$$. If you've never had a hunting dog, go with what's easiest and most likely to not have issues. Not sure if your livestock breeds have been living in the house but you DEFINATELY want your hunting dog living with you. Important that you both be mentally on the same page before heading into the field this fall.
20211011_174650.jpg20210719_093912.jpg20201207_155713.jpg

I have thought of going the DD route as well. I don't know alot about them. Any recommendations on where to look for a decent breeder?
https://www.vdd-gna.org/breeders/ What I did was to call the breeders nearest me. I probably spoke to 10 or so. You'll get an idea of the breeder and the type of DD they are breeding. Western breeders with wide open spaces to hunt tend breed towards further ranging dogs vs a north eastern breeder whos dog will be hunting thick areas for grouses and the dog needs to stay closer. Again I would speak with a bunch of breeders as this this is a generality. At the end of the day all DDs need to pass their breed test and most breeders take their breeding dogs to the VGP or utility test.

We are on our 3rd chessy. First female. We use our dog as a guard dog also. And it gets cold in AK.
For us they have been great family dogs, extremely protective and intelligent. Natural instincts.
I don't hunt birds. I have been training Ruby to find moose antlers. And watching her hunt up I almost mesmerizing. Working the wind, circling out. All natural instincts. Very obedient.
Chessys can be overly protective and need socialization. Around our family they would crawl in your lap if you let them. Strangers better be aware. And not a dog for everyone.
They live to please their owner.
As a guard dog she stays out usually. In a well insulated house. With a padded dog bed. And can handle the cold.
As far as general care goes. For us we feed science diet dog food only. No table scraps. I believe it helps them distinguish dog food and people food so no garbage issues. Also believe it helps with health issues long term. Particularly bones. Lots of larger breeds have hip issues and spending a little bit more on food is cheaper than vet bills. Using a pad in her house gives her hips a soft spot and warmer. But mostly having a pad for her hips to protect against wear. And with a quality dog food balanced for her needs she has very little hair loss.
I also like training collars. Just a beep let's her know that I'm watching. Our daughter grew up with Chesapeakes and bought her son one to grow up with. They are a one of a kind breed. Loyal to a fault. And can steal your heart. Hopefully this helps a bit.20210409_081251.jpg20210409_081057.jpg59B58A60-575E-41E7-969D-925004AB85C0.jpegFB_IMG_1634915793265.jpgFB_IMG_1634915786557.jpg

No I understood that. I was meaning in what way? Just energy level not tiring out? Difficulty training?
The energy level and consent desire to run , the dogs are relentless ! 100 mph then sleep , right back to 100 mph. They are both smart and loving dogs but they just need to run ! Training was not a problem , they love to hunt !

I've always had labs and they've never let me down. My dad has a Weimaraner/silver lab mix right now and that's the best dog he's ever had. Super energetic, good stamina, behaves, and is super well mannered. Not to mention, she's super great with cats and smaller kids as well.

I agree with others, Lab. I’ve had plenty. I have two Rottweiler females and you wouldn’t believe how good of a hunting fog one of them is. I’m not saying to get one though, of course. I probably have the only hunting rott in existence.

I have to ask, what disinclines you towards getting a Lab (note the upper case - Labrador is a proper name)? Labs have been the top selling American Kennel Club breed for like the last thirty years running. There's a reason for that. Great personalities. I am pretty sure there's more Labs hunting than any other breed. The reason for that is they are versatile and easy to train. Hardly any training beyond basic obedience is needed.

The Lab I presently own is a fantastic pointing dog that works very close. I hunted Montana for five weeks again this past fall and though it was a VERY poor year I still managed to shoot quite a few roosters (five daily limits ++). I credit that dog. I live alone and don't know if I'd make it without my dogs (also have a French Brittany).

I suspect you don't want a Lab because that's what everybody has and you'd like to be distinctive. Fine. But you may pay a price for that ... and more than just $$$. If you've never had a hunting dog, go with what's easiest and most likely to not have issues. Not sure if your livestock breeds have been living in the house but you DEFINATELY want your hunting dog living with you. Important that you both be mentally on the same page before heading into the field this fall.
View attachment 209281View attachment 209283View attachment 209284
The only hesitation comes from being around a very small sample size of "hunting" Labs. I am unsure of the amount of training or amount pedigree behind the few I have been around. I am also aware there are plenty of Labs that are some of the best hunting dogs out there. To the point of everyone has a Lab and wanting to be a little different I agree there is a little to that statement. I like the idea of having a companion that stands out in the usual crowd. But I am completely open to a lab. Like you said I may have to pay a price for that and it may not be a price I wanna pay. I think there is a good chance a Lab is in my future just as much as any.

If you want a flusher a lab is the way to go. If you want to be able to cover more ground a versatile breed like a GWP, a Draught, GSP, Griff is the way to go. A lot of those big running high energy dogs are coming out of field trial lines. NAVHDA lines are generally bred a little differently.

In my opinion a Draught and a GWP are the same dog separated by a different testing systems.

We are on our 3rd chessy. First female. We use our dog as a guard dog also. And it gets cold in AK.
For us they have been great family dogs, extremely protective and intelligent. Natural instincts.
I don't hunt birds. I have been training Ruby to find moose antlers. And watching her hunt up I almost mesmerizing. Working the wind, circling out. All natural instincts. Very obedient.
Chessys can be overly protective and need socialization. Around our family they would crawl in your lap if you let them. Strangers better be aware. And not a dog for everyone.
They live to please their owner.
As a guard dog she stays out usually. In a well insulated house. With a padded dog bed. And can handle the cold.
As far as general care goes. For us we feed science diet dog food only. No table scraps. I believe it helps them distinguish dog food and people food so no garbage issues. Also believe it helps with health issues long term. Particularly bones. Lots of larger breeds have hip issues and spending a little bit more on food is cheaper than vet bills. Using a pad in her house gives her hips a soft spot and warmer. But mostly having a pad for her hips to protect against wear. And with a quality dog food balanced for her needs she has very little hair loss.
I also like training collars. Just a beep let's her know that I'm watching. Our daughter grew up with Chesapeakes and bought her son one to grow up with. They are a one of a kind breed. Loyal to a fault. And can steal your heart. Hopefully this helps a bit.View attachment 209285View attachment 209286View attachment 209287View attachment 209288View attachment 209289
This is also a breed that interests me. I need to do more research on them as well as others. The ability for the weather tolerance is good to hear. Most of my dogs have been outside dogs and the weather can vary greatly in Missouri. It's difficult to decide on something that will hopefully be around for so many years. I know that no matter what I go with it is sure to make a great companion and a great hunter if I can be sure to give it the direction it needs.

View attachment 209281View attachment 209283View attachment 209284
That picture of your Lab with his head under your chin is classic!

Get a lab, But make sure you get one from a reputable hunting line. Lotta backyard lab breeders not doing the breed any justice. I got my Stanley out of Beaver Creek retrievers in Kansas. Great family dog, exceptional hunter. He does quail pheasants and sheds.

Find a breed that matches your temperament. I love chessies, but I am NOT a chessie kinda guy. I like people I know to have dogs that I don't and won't have. A chessie is one of those breeds.

I spent the weekend with a French Brittany pup. Great dog, but best if not my dog.

I like goldens. Goldens like me. I have had a flatcoated, but I'll always have goldens because they fit with me. But I don't recommend them for anyone as a rule - and good ones are very hard to find.

How do you know what works for you? I wish I could answer that question for you. Trial and error is some of it. Hanging out with people that have different breeds of dogs is another. But it is an imperfect science.

Chesapeake can be "hardheaded." Want to do things their way. Males especially have a reputation for being antisocial. Labs don't know the meaning of the word.

The "big roaming" pointing breeds are okay for hunting chukar and quail where you can see them working long range and the birds will hold. But after they've been hunted a bit pheasants won't hold long enough for you to catch up and shoot. Sharptails are even spookier. And a wound up pointing dog is not what you want in a duck blind. Anyway, I prefer to have my hunting dogs working at hand where I can watch. Not much to see if they're on the horizon. Right now I have the best of both worlds: a Lab that works close like a flushing dog, but points instead of kicking the birds up. If you can find a pointing Lab, you won't be sorry. That's a dog that will do it all. I stumbled on mine by accident. She was the slowest starting dog of any I've owned, but when she finally did get going Ellie was dynamite.

You won't need electronics with a Lab. You see some wearing e-collars but it speaks more to the inability of the handler or, more often, his inclination to show off gadgetry.

Get a lab, But make sure you get one from a reputable hunting line. Lotta backyard lab breeders not doing the breed any justice. I got my Stanley out of Beaver Creek retrievers in Kansas. Great family dog, exceptional hunter. He does quail pheasants and sheds.
My Ellie was born on a garage floor. She is fantastic but the best dog I'll ever own was an undersized $35 Lab-golden cross that looked like a 55 lb black Lab. A hunting fool. That little dog was hell on big honkers. People who didn't like dogs would fight to see who got to watch Ethyl when I had to leave town for a wrestling tournament. She was a sweetheart.

If you don't like labs, don't get a lab. I know I would never own one.

But I do think they require WAY less time, energy, and training to achieve a basic level of competence over many of the other breed.

My GSP is neurotic so I'm a little bias against her. I have been around some really good ones, but I'm not sure why you'd want one to waterfowl with.

My Ellie was born on a garage floor. She is fantastic but the best dog I'll ever own was an undersized $35 Lab-golden cross that looked like a 55 lb black Lab. A hunting fool. That little dog was hell on big honkers. People who didn't like dogs would fight to see who got to watch Ethyl when I had to leave town for a wrestling tournament. She was a sweetheart.
Reputable hunting line has nothing to do with where the pup was born. It has to do with who's the parents and what their health clearances are.

Back