Which ATV?

I use an atv only for retrieval of elk and only when legal. Will use it as well to ride from camp to where I am going to hunt, and once again, only on roads or trails legal for atv use.

When I bought mine I researched them hard, and the best all around ATV at the time for extreme use was the Kodiak 450, solid rear axle, 4x4, locking front diff. Great combination of power to weight ratio. Does not ride as well as a polaris, but the rear axle won't unload on you if on a sidehill either like an independent rear suspension will and it doesn't weigh over 700lbs either like a polaris does.

You have to make a decision about what exactly your getting an atv for. If it's for fun, then I would say get a polaris. If it's for getting elk out of truly rugged legal areas to have an atv, then I would say get either a yamaha or a honda with solid rear axle.

Lot of places I have been you are better off with a bike. You can access alot more area on two wheels rather than four. I know they don't haul game as well but you can definatly get more places. I have both and lately have used the bike alot more.

BHR:

I'm not going get into the debate about which is best or whether or not ATVs are a valid tool for elk hunting. That debate is a tar baby. But I have been thinking about buying a couple of them, for a variety of purposes and I came across this internet site.

http://www.ritchiepowersports.com/hondaatv.htm

Looks like an economical way to buy one if you can manage to get to their location. You could also show the site to your local sales rep and invite him to match the deal.

KC

Polaris is a piece. Nickle and dime you into the poor house keeping them running. At least my 700 does. :p Can't beat the ride and handling tho. :) hump

As far as hunting off one goes, as long as it's on a road, I don't care. That is encouraging news that they are confiscating the wheelers from those who are breaking the law with them. :cool: :cool:

I'm out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back