Yeti GOBOX Collection

Where Gravity Chooses the Gun and the Gear

Mustangs Rule

I just did my first scouting for deer season. Been out that way a lot, fly fishing, swimming in the river, looking up.

This land is deep in drought, baked by the “Heat Dome” this summer too. Hurts me to see this. What worked last year won’t now.

I need to hunt 1000’ higher than before above the river, in little canyons where it’s green and the springs are still flowing. With my spotting scope, I saw two bucks up high.

My heavy vintage rifles are out.

I’ll take my 308 Sako Finn light at 6 ¼ pounds, or my 5 ¾ pound Kimber 280AI.

A light Mora knife replaces the big K-bar. Heavy clothes and boots are out. Getting light hi-tech stuff. I got a new Mystery Ranch pack. Gonna take a water filter instead of extra water. At 73 every bit counts, my 59th season, a lone hunter, except for the wolves. They comfort me.

My jeans got way too tight, laying around after minor knee surgery. Gonna begin hiking the steep places again and under-eat for a month. Gotta be extra lean to climb up there. I am stiff, a month of yoga and stretching is in order.

At least meat recovery will be easier, it’s so steep I can slide my buck down on a piece of slick plastic I bring along.

What a privilege, wild country, no quads, sky full of stars.

MR

I 'm two years behind you. I can't take the crotch high deadfall any more. Most of the elk seem to have the same attitude. A pound or two on equipment doesn't make much differance to me so same equipment. Rifles run in that 7.5 - 8 lb range. Choices are whim of the day but 7mag.

Instead of exercise I opt for access. As I can free up time I cut out trails and build trails. The horses need use to get them back into the concept of working. As I cut open the elk trails I see the use increase. I use the concept of if you cut it they will come.

Targets? Northside lodgepole thickets with wet bottoms between the ridges above 7000ft. A day per week doesn't bother them but if you frequent too much they will move.

I use to archery hunt but my shoulder sockets are gone. It was good recon and exercise. On days like this I don't miss it. Butchering a pig yesterday the flies, yellow jackets and bald faced hornets were intense. I would hate to have to fight for my meat like we used to on the Idaho border during archery.

I will cut out my main trails over the next month and connector trails between roads that will be closed. By late October I will get the horses shod and my wore out body in as good of shape as possible. I ain't fast but I'm persistant.

I hunted with my vintage rifle for the first time last year, the 8# or so slung onto my pack strap was pretty much not noticeable. But, I spent most of my hunting years using a very heavy muzzle loader, sans sling. In the end, though, I liken it all to the guys that spend $$$ on super light bicycles, but carry more extra weight on their backside than the bike weighs - the most efficient place to cut weight is on my tail.

We have had a wet summer, so hunting here will be very different from last year, but for the opposite reason. I hope the increase in water won't result in the ATVs being more widely scattered instead of concentrated around high water sources, but I'll do what I have to do. In the end, the wild country is worth it, and even at my approaching-geriatric age (well, mileage) I look forward to every minute of it. Except digging the latrine - hardest job of all in camp...

Thank you for such a " I been there" and "I am still there doing it" response.

So true,,most horses like most kids, even mid rangre adults really do not get what "sustained work" means. It is about sweating then sweating a lot more, not stopping at the first few drops and calling it a day by mid morning.

Horses make rifle weight irrelevent.

I read that 10,000 baby boomers are retiring every day. A goodly chunk of them are trying, despite having been soft city folks for most of thier lives, to live out some rural John Denver ""Country Boy" fantasy.

That involves a little piece of land, and a few soft nags to carry them around duriing deer and elk season.

The crowds of hunters and horses at National Forest trailheads all over the mountain west on opening day can just boggle the mind. It will end as they age out but as of right now I thought it shocking.

The place I described above is legend for steepness. Like a wall. Too steep maybe for horses,,,except the most surefooted ones. I like it that way. I get peace and privacy there. That is where every pound counts,,around my gut and in my hands.

The place where rifle weight bothers me the most is when carring out deer quarters. I am just maxed out then.

Elk is another matter. A young ranching family has given me free rein to hunt their land and use it as access to National Forest. We have become year round friends,,,struck a cord we did with all of us having genuine agriculural backgrounds.

Thier land again sets records for steep too ,,,everything here does.

The young rancher and I spent a morning walking about with his dogs. He showed me the trails he cut in so his cattle could acccess steeper valleys for pasture.

They need some work. I told him I would do that,,,with a sweaty smile. There are a few places where horses would go for a four footed slide ride with snow on the ground. I will fix those trails up.

I carry an "In Reach" communication device. When I get an elk, I send them a message and they will come in with the pack horses.

All is well.

They have an orchard, with deer there too, big surprise. They offered me shooting a deer right there. I said "Thank You" but I will save that place for when I get old and fat". They all laughed.

They have for some time now been raising Corriente Cattle. Smaller, tougher, "easy keepers" in all ways. They have strong sharp horns and have proven themselves to be more than capable of defending themselves and calves from all the usual predators which they have in abundance; lions, coyotes, wolves and bears. I like the meat,,,their cows eat like elk, live in tough cuntry, meat looks muscular like elk.

Store bought, feed lot beef looks soft, pink and pus-like to me. I will not buy it or eat it.

The rancher told me that how losses to predators with these cattle and so very small, no isssue. A small tax to pay. They really live and ranch surrounded by genuine wilderness. Elk and bighorn sheep are there a plenty.

This will be my final hunting ground.

A last thing, thier tot son has been riding for a year now. The rule was that he could not start riding horses on his own till he was done with diapers,,,mom said she not deal with such a mess.

He got done with diapers real quick.

Thanks agaiin for your response.

MR

I wrote the long reponse above to "Diamond Hitch", but upon reading the above post from "David 58" I also felt a hunter kinship. Thank you David 58. You are so right,,,the most weight to lose is off the gut not the gun. I watch these hunters riding around on quads with their bellies jingling and it makes me wanna,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's about the hunt, not the take.

But after striking out on our tags this year, even pronghorn does in WY, we purchased a landowner tag for a cow elk in our favorite unit. I have to constantly work to remind myself that the money spent on the tag is now irrelevant - the hunt is the key, not the take.

Though that backstrap last night was really good, and to refill the freezer would be very, very nice!

It's about the hunt, not the take.

But after striking out on our tags this year, even pronghorn does in WY, we purchased a landowner tag for a cow elk in our favorite unit. I have to constantly work to remind myself that the money spent on the tag is now irrelevant - the hunt is the key, not the take.

Though that backstrap last night was really good, and to refill the freezer would be very, very nice!
Thank you again. I used to live in Wyoming,,,in the days when residents could get a "stack" of Antelope tags. What is your favorite unit. If you do not feel like answering that is fine. I did almost all my antelope hunting in NW Wyoming, up in high mountian meadows surrounded by aspens. Actally Grizz country.

That was long ago and now far away. Without a doubt now looking back, those hunts were the most and the best ever.

A full freezer warms my heart.

MR

MR, my horse hunting is differant than most. I my country the elk seembto move about 5-7 miles a day. I make a systematic scan on horseback for sign followed by caching the ponies in a safe thicket and hunting on foot for 3-5 miles. That way the time is broke up about 2/3 pony and 1/3 foot. My ten miles days of my 30s are now 3 mile loops with 400ft elevation changes. Endurance and rapid recovery have diminished but I still enjoy both parts of hunting. My success is focused in those knife edged lodgepole thickets. Some of those trees have names but all are not friends.

MR, my horse hunting is differant than most. I my country the elk seembto move about 5-7 miles a day. I make a systematic scan on horseback for sign followed by caching the ponies in a safe thicket and hunting on foot for 3-5 miles. That way the time is broke up about 2/3 pony and 1/3 foot. My ten miles days of my 30s are now 3 mile loops with 400ft elevation changes. Endurance and rapid recovery have diminished but I still enjoy both parts of hunting. My success is focused in those knife edged lodgepole thickets. Some of those trees have names but all are not friends.
I get what you are saying. My energy and field capacity are okay and long as I am really taking care of myself. Gaining even just 5-7 pounds shifts me for the lesser.

I have a notch in a homemade belt that is where I need to be for outdoor activity. Sleep for me is absolutely critical. I started taking a squirt of melatonin under my tougue a half hour before wanting to go to sleep,,and getting away from the laptop light and that has been good.

As we age stress, and the stress of age can really do a number on our vitamins and minerals. I had mine checked,,,some were pathetically low. Bringing them back to normal has really helped my endurance. Like tuning up a rifle.

The most challenging place is right after an animal is down and then I come down. The shot is fired and the real work begins. Deer recovery is actualy harder than elk . I am infantry for deer, cavalry for elk. My deer hunting involves going into the toughest high holes. Would lose a horse there.

THe good news it that prep for such adventures is really year round,,if i get lazy or tempeted to become a chow hound, I think about where that will not allow me to go, and what I will no longer be able to do if continued.

Good hearing from you.

Ohh do you use crossbuck or decker pack saddles.

Deckers.

I agree with you entirely. Every day is an exercise program of some kind to hold onto what I can as I/ we age. Today was a 6-7 mile horse ride in and out and built a mile of new trall to get into a place where I can tie up horses and hunt out three basins.

How do I feel? Rode hard and put away wet but a day closer to 35 days of countinuous hunting. Every day is a building day till we can't. We have earned this and our job is to push until we die. Keep it up!

This month's Bugle has an interesting story about a young man learning to hunt like an old hunter. I think being as fit as possible is a good thing, but that fitness level still has me far behind a hunter 30 years younger. My lack of speed may actually help me, and hopefully my bit of experience makes up for needing to cover miles and miles and miles. My wife and I have discussed a SxS, but only for retrieval, not for hunting. But I think it's about like me buying a recumbant or E bike - if I have to go there, I best just go somewhere else.

Good, vigorous hike yesterday at 9000'+, still have some time (and the need) to whittle some pounds off my tail before my November hunt. Will be hunting alone this year, so will a) be very careful, and b) will get me one of them GPS "help I've fallen and can't get up" devices. My favorite hunting partner (my Bride) is sidelined this year, motoring about on crutches - we are a good team, have the same goals when it comes to taking an animal, don't whittle on each other when field dressing - so the hunt is diminished a bit. However, she'll be in camp, there will be a cup of coffee waitin' whenever I drag my butt back to the trailer.

This month's Bugle has an interesting story about a young man learning to hunt like an old hunter. I think being as fit as possible is a good thing, but that fitness level still has me far behind a hunter 30 years younger. My lack of speed may actually help me, and hopefully my bit of experience makes up for needing to cover miles and miles and miles. My wife and I have discussed a SxS, but only for retrieval, not for hunting. But I think it's about like me buying a recumbant or E bike - if I have to go there, I best just go somewhere else.

Good, vigorous hike yesterday at 9000'+, still have some time (and the need) to whittle some pounds off my tail before my November hunt. Will be hunting alone this year, so will a) be very careful, and b) will get me one of them GPS "help I've fallen and can't get up" devices. My favorite hunting partner (my Bride) is sidelined this year, motoring about on crutches - we are a good team, have the same goals when it comes to taking an animal, don't whittle on each other when field dressing - so the hunt is diminished a bit. However, she'll be in camp, there will be a cup of coffee waitin' whenever I drag my butt back to the trailer.
What is an SxS?

Side by side.

I agree entirely. I had my partner killed in mid-career but my kids filled the gap in my 40s. Partners make hunting more fun, easier, and more efficient. But good partners are harder to find than a good wife. My kids grew into great partners but they developed lives of their own and moved. I worked another partner in but he still has a job and I can only borrow him for a couple weeks. Consequently 2/3s of the season I'm alone. The horse can't answer but does seem to get irritated with singing.

I agree that success seems to be more consistant with age. Rather than covering miles on foot I find I am more inclined to walk a little slower, pick points where I can sit, watch and listen. I think I used to charge through the elk in my desire to see all I could. Now I cover smaller areas more thoroughly. The horse aids me in getting to where the elk are that day. I find that it takes about two days to find them to each day I can hunt them.

What is a side by side??

David 58,

I do not see my old hunting partner of 35 years much anymore. In retirement we moved far away from each other, a ten hour drive. I mentioned him in several posts, a former Army Ranger who served two deep recon tours in Vietnam.

His elk hunting style has been consistent with his military experience. He chooses a place in the wilderness and just sits there, like he did in he jungle. The same place, his entire hunt.

He will even have a small fire in front of him if it is cold. His success rate on public land for elk over the course of his hunting life is somewhere in the mid to high 80’s percent wise. We both use simple scopes and simple rifles, usually shooting our games animal quite close. A matter of dozen feet out to a few hundred yards.

For quite a few years now we have used horse packing recovery services. He has been very pleased with them and cheerfully pays the fee, which just went from $250 to $300. He only does cow elk hunts. Cows are smaller. Like me, he hunts alone. I range far and wide, and carry an “In Reach” device to send a message for horse recovery, keep in touch and call for a rescue is injured.

We have both had a variety of physical issues with age and various surgeries.

We talk every month or so, even more as hunting seasons get closer. He is 71. Still fits in his uniform.

Some years back, when we lived near each other and still hunted together, I gained about 15 pounds. His response was near instant. He called me a “Fat Lard Ass” and said that I was jeopardizing my ability to be a senior wilderness elk/deer hunter. He never needed to repeat that remark. I thank him for that honesty.

I hand made several new leather belts, which just few buckle bar holes. One for warm weather, with light clothes, the other for winter with more heavy clothing. That was many years ago.

We have both taken a vow, never to use any type of mechanical aid for travel or meat recovery when hunting. Using them eliminates hunting in wilderness. There is a purity we both need as much as the meat. When that elk chapter ends for us, we will be deer hunters only, when that chapter ends we will hunt small game only.

If one is very diligent they will be able to find some horse recovery options, then simply build the hunts around that service.

Considering the cost of mechanized vehicles, like quads and big 4x4’s,,,,$300/year for ten years is a cheap price to keep having one pure wilderness hunt after another. It sure beats hunting timber company clear cuts sprayed with chemical plant retardants.

MR

MR you right on the money. The dinner table and the lazy boy are the leading causes of the loss of hunting. I'm dancing on the edge of robo- man. Two hip replacements, 50% or less use of shoulders, type II diabetes, and a cancer survivor.

I push as hard as I can all year long to maintain weight. Putting up 600-700 bales, 4-6 cord of wood- split and stacked. Fence repair, 6-10 miles of trail cut plus my consulting seems to take the shock out of hunting season but opening day always still pushes my endurance limit.

Working horses exercises differant parts of my body and leaves a smile on my face. A driving force is my curiosity. There are an endless number of places I haven't been to yet and I can't die till I have seen them. Even when I fill my tag I continue to hunt areas where the elk can guide me through the unknown so I can better understand how, why and when.

Half of the year is preparation and the other half is personal satifaction. My goal is to push every year till they plant me. I don't want to piss away a single day of my life. I even hunted every day through chemo treatment. It gave me a reason to continue.

All you old guys- I urge you to ride this horse into the ground. Your last words should be- I had a damn good life - thanks.

Enjoyed catching up on this thread, somehow missed it. Only a couple of places this steep but they should stir the souls of every hunter.

Attachments

• E452B938-7FA7-4F7B-8050-BAA1F4D965FF.jpeg
    E452B938-7FA7-4F7B-8050-BAA1F4D965FF.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
Enjoyed catching up on this thread, somehow missed it. Only a couple of places this steep but they should stir the souls of every hunter.
Hello Salmon Chaser.

I liked the photo.

As I have experienced it, hunting short but steep is much more productive than going long and deep in flatter country.

For deer hunting I slowly go into the worst of the worst terrain, search out bedding areas, then quarter my deer and just muster up to the task of recovery.

If warmer I use a citric acid spray to counter the effect of bacterial growth. This works for me.

When elk hunting I constantly think about the needs of a horse for recovery.

Last year there was just a 30 foot long stretch of muddy steep side hill that would have sent any horse on a dangerous slide ride. I chose not to shoot an elk. If I did my entire horse recovery relationship would have gone terribly bad and limited future hunts

Sometime in the next few weeks I will go over there with a shovel, spend a afternoon repairing that part of the trail. It is on public land, but so what.

My belief is to improve any situation and not hurt any horse that might be used to recover my elk.

The game really is about establishing relationships with land and people.

Although most of my present hunting country is impeded by downfall, I have hunted in the past in places that you couldn't get stock safely in or out. In those spots we would tie up where the horses were safe and backpack our meat to them. A short backpack to a horse retreive beat a long backpack. Planning first in all cases.

I just did my first scouting for deer season. Been out that way a lot, fly fishing, swimming in the river, looking up.

This land is deep in drought, baked by the “Heat Dome” this summer too. Hurts me to see this. What worked last year won’t now.

I need to hunt 1000’ higher than before above the river, in little canyons where it’s green and the springs are still flowing. With my spotting scope, I saw two bucks up high.

My heavy vintage rifles are out.

I’ll take my 308 Sako Finn light at 6 ¼ pounds, or my 5 ¾ pound Kimber 280AI.

A light Mora knife replaces the big K-bar. Heavy clothes and boots are out. Getting light hi-tech stuff. I got a new Mystery Ranch pack. Gonna take a water filter instead of extra water. At 73 every bit counts, my 59th season, a lone hunter, except for the wolves. They comfort me.

My jeans got way too tight, laying around after minor knee surgery. Gonna begin hiking the steep places again and under-eat for a month. Gotta be extra lean to climb up there. I am stiff, a month of yoga and stretching is in order.

At least meat recovery will be easier, it’s so steep I can slide my buck down on a piece of slick plastic I bring along.

What a privilege, wild country, no quads, sky full of stars.

MR
I just replaced to rifles with a custom built on a Kimber Montana 280ai. Fantastic rifle.

I just replaced to rifles with a custom built on a Kimber Montana 280ai. Fantastic rifle.
I must have said this before in these posts but will say it again. My Kimber Hunter rifle in 280AI is the most gravity friendly rifle I have ever owned that is fully capable for taking all Nortn American hooved big game. At 5 3/4 pounds it is a real gravity fighter.
If I do my part, stay loose, and light, avoid the overuse of fork and spoon, excecise and keep doing my yoga stretching program I can see hunting big game through my late 70's.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back