What's on the smoker today?

Which specific model of Oklahoma Joes do you have and what do you like about it more than the Traeger?
I picked the dlx 900 up at a 50% off sale, couldn't turn that down lol. I honestly knew little about that company until I bought one. I had big temp swings with my traeger and it didn't hold temp at all in colder weather, which I attributed to its thin metal construction, and a few auger issues that were annoying. That being said, my traeger worked sufficiently for anything I wanted to smoke or roast for 3 years.

The O.J. smoker holds Temps very well for me, it's built out of thicker metal/feels more solid than my traeger, and if I put it into "grill" mode, it sears meat very well. l do have to say that you do have to keep an eye on it anytime your grilling at high heat, tends to get a lot of flare ups.

Has anyone tried the gravity fed grills?
I have/had a Masterbuilt gravity feed. Loved the way it cooked and the versatility of low temp smokes to 700 degree seers, but durability was not its strong suit. Went thru multiple sets of electronics. Also had a tendency to flare ups in high heat seers. I finally gave up on it and it’s sat unused for a couple of years now. Would not buy another unless they made one that was better constructed with heavier materials.

I have/had a Masterbuilt gravity feed. Loved the way it cooked and the versatility of low temp smokes to 700 degree seers, but durability was not its strong suit. Went thru multiple sets of electronics. Also had a tendency to flare ups in high heat seers. I finally gave up on it and it’s sat unused for a couple of years now. Would not buy another unless they made one that was better constructed with heavier materials.
Thanks..good to know.

Hi everyone,

I am in the market to buy my first ever pellet grill to be able to smoke meats. I’ve only ever used propane grills up until now.

I’d love to get your recommendations on which brands/models to consider before taking the plunge with a big purchase.
Have you actually totaled the cost of a pellet grill for smoking versus an electric smoker? Well I did and I have to tell you, I never bought a pellet grill :). I wanted one real bad, all the hype, but for sure look at the cost before you buy. Those pellets are not cheap and if you use it alot, it just get more expensive.

Have you actually totaled the cost of a pellet grill for smoking versus an electric smoker? Well I did and I have to tell you, I never bought a pellet grill :). I wanted one real bad, all the hype, but for sure look at the cost before you buy. Those pellets are not cheap and if you use it alot, it just get more expensive.
Thanks for bringing this up. Which electric smoker did you go with?

There are cheaper ways. I buy wood stove 100% hardwood pellets at Orscheln’s. $4.50 for 40#.

I did this exact cost analysis on yeti vs grizzly vs rtic vs lifetime vs igloo vs gas station foam cooler all measured against ice consumption and avg retention and volume.

I have 3 lifetimes, couple igloos a yeti and an rtic, though it'll take over 300 uses to beat a foam cooler and new ice daily, price wise.

Buy one, buy one of each, buy multiples. I've never heard "I wish I owned less"

Having used both, the product results at the end are definitely not the same. IMO the Electric smoker puts out junk compared to a pellet. My entire circle who had electric ditched them when they tried the difference.

Cheaper is not better

Having used both, the product results at the end are definitely not the same. IMO the Electric smoker puts out junk compared to a pellet. My entire circle who had electric ditched them when they tried the difference.

Cheaper is not better
Agree that the quality of the smoke from an electric isn’t as good as a true wood fire or pellet smoke. That being said, I do like my electric for doing jerky.

Maybe it was the pitboss I had, but I have a propane wood chip smoker now that way outperforms the pellet grill.
Better bark and flavor. I assumed it is because I have actual flames turning real wood into coals

Next purchase will be an offset.
I have found myself babysitting pellets, propane and electric. Might as well get the real deal
We looked at offset, in charcoal, so we could actually grill in addition to smoke. Found that all-in-one results in compromise. Our pit boss pellet smoker works very well - the double wall construction is nice for smoking in cold weather (fired it up at 25 deg this morning with three racks of pork ribs and a tenderloin), and we can go up to 425 deg in it if we want. For grilling, we have propane, getting ready to move back to charcoal.

David
NM

We looked at offset, in charcoal, so we could actually grill in addition to smoke. Found that all-in-one results in compromise. Our pit boss pellet smoker works very well - the double wall construction is nice for smoking in cold weather (fired it up at 25 deg this morning with three racks of pork ribs and a tenderloin), and we can go up to 425 deg in it if we want. For grilling, we have propane, getting ready to move back to charcoal.

David
NM
That's part of the reason I justified the money on the recteq. Temps from +/- 180 - 700 and holds those temps like a champ. Haven't been disappointed yet from ribs to brisket to steaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back